Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #5521
PA Slammer
I hate titles...

Oddometer: 809
I've been wanting a couch AND a bench for the motorcycle... but don't have room for both. Maybe a build that can function as both... a tarp, a cover over that, some big old cushions, storage under... hmmm?

PA Slammer
PA Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #5522
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Slammer View Post
I've been wanting a couch AND a bench for the motorcycle... but don't have room for both. Maybe a build that can function as both... a tarp, a cover over that, some big old cushions, storage under... hmmm?
LazyBoy, for me.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #5523
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymbie View Post
Are you using a wheel chock? If so, how will it fit under the bench? Or will you remove it every time you need to roll the bench home?
Yes, the wheel chock is removed for storage.
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #5524
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Pissed This is why twist tops were banned in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
Ok so I tore into the box last night and discovered this mess

Does that look like burns to you?

Back together

Conduit that feed through the wall doesn't reach all the way to the box, maybe 1.5" shy. I can't figure out what this these wires even run to, they go through the wall and down into the ground outside of the house.

Still no where near perfect but its the best I could do to just tidy up the wiring safely, I'll have my guy check it all this weekend. My real fear is that I'll find more birds nests like that in the house, I'm going to poke around and make sure...

Here is the first wall finished. No tape or mud, it would really throw off the aesthetic of the place
Those gaps aren't crooked cuts either, some sheets are unlevel at joints by a quarter inch depending on where the studs are
I'm an electrician, it's not difficult to add an extra socket and that's why people take it upon themselves to have a go. Usually it's not them who pay the price of lost personal items or worst death.
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #5525
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
That's why we don't use cloth covered wire over here.
The black spots might be burns or it could be the residue from the wire sheath.
I bet if you grabbed that wire sheath it would turn your hand black.
I would just guy it out throw some 12-2 in there and keep moving.

Sean
chokozip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #5526
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
The black spots in the empty box look like where a live wire touched. I can't quite see it clearly but it almost looks like the clamp has a wire burn out in it where it would meet the wire.
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #5527
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Very possible.
I had one that let the smoke out in my house.
I spent the summer rewiring my house just to be safe.

Sean
chokozip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:47 AM   #5528
doc dogg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I can finally put up some pics on my new man castle :) 6m x 8m x 3m (or 20' x 26' x 10' for those not using metric)

Here are a few in the middle of construction. We built the walls on the ground and then (with the help of a few local riders) tilted them up and cemented the posts in the ground.

My dad is just modelling in front of the wheelbarrow, I did all the cement mixing and shovelling...

And the finished product

The concrete floor is coming after I spend some money on the GF (she keeps nagging me about a ring and a wedding )
doc dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #5529
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
I'm an electrician, it's not difficult to add an extra socket and that's why people take it upon themselves to have a go. Usually it's not them who pay the price of lost personal items or worst death.
What kind of common mistakes are we talking about here?
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #5530
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Cool2 Before and after pictures

Before:

I built the cabinets in what I call "reverse stack" style to give more work-around room for my car. It is only a small garage and I needed all the room I could get. They work very well.

I hooked up a washing machine water line from the hose bib to a ball valve mounted on the front for easy access. It always had a short coiled hose with spray gun attached.

All doors have slide bolt locks for our frequent earthquakes, I didn't want a bunch of stuff falling on my car or bikes!

I mounted power strips on the door face since the outlets were inside.

Some cabinets I put adjustable height shelves in and some are just removable while others are fixed.

I built the cabinets out of 1/2" MDF and painted them to look like tool boxes. All simple boxes just glued stapled together. Simple bolt on hinges and latches are through bolted. All interior surfaces painted white gloss oil paint. The doors are painted with silver Hammertite (sp?) and the red is just bright red oil paint.

Not shown are all my tools and folding work tables, two more vices, bench top tools, compressor, rolling toolboxes, and everything that was neatly stored in all the cabinets. Why is the garage empty you wonder?
Because we have moved.

That has been my "before" garage shop for ten years....

And now the "after" pictures!

Another one car garage to design and build cabinets for:

AND a two car garage shop to design and build cabinets and work benches for!

It is amazing how much stuff can be put into cabinets and how much space that same stuff takes up when just "put down somewhere" while moving in.

I am looking forward to designing my new shop and getting back to building bike projects. Unfortunately the inside of the house doesn't look much better and we are living out of boxes.
James
JagLite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #5531
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Pissed The problem with the HSE is it removes the Darwin effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrick View Post
What kind of common mistakes are we talking about here?
Power sockets spurred off lighting circuits, spurs off spurs, undersized cables, diagonal runs behind walls etc. etc. etc. there is a person that lives near me, when he asked me if the modification he had decided to undertake himself (adding a socket) was OK, was mystified when I told him, twisting the wires together then wrapping in masking tape, is not the correct way to do it.
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #5532
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
Power sockets spurred off lighting circuits, spurs off spurs, undersized cables, diagonal runs behind walls etc. etc. etc. there is a person that lives near me, when he asked me if the modification he had decided to undertake himself (adding a socket) was OK, was mystified when I told him, twisting the wires together then wrapping in masking tape, is not the correct way to do it.

Wow! What a doofus. He should have used scotch tape, like I do.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #5533
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris View Post
Wow! What a doofus. He should have used scotch tape, like I do.
No, no, no. You're supposed to use cloth adhesive tape. Just make sure that you thoroughly impregnate it with Vaseline after you've wrapped the wires to keep any moisture out.

Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #5534
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
No, no, no. You're supposed to use cloth adhesive tape. Just make sure that you thoroughly impregnate it with Vaseline after you've wrapped the wires to keep any moisture out.
Wait, I was supposed to TAPE the wires after I used superglue to hold them together??
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #5535
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
I'll keep this thread moving along and put my money where my mouth is.

In the past, when solicited, I've recommended OSB for sheeting and stains for concrete. This is my smaller garage (22'X22') I just finished. I used Sherwin Williams ProBlock Primer, SW SherScrub latex paint (2 coats-this stuff is high build and thick, like paint used to be) on the walls, SW H&C solvent-based solid color stain (2 coats), and SW H&C solvent-based clear gloss (2 coats) on the floor. I used 2-1/2 tubes of latex painter's caulk on the sheeting seams, joints, and screws/nails. If you have any questions, please ask.

I'm going to be doing my shop next. It's split in halves and will get totally different colors. I'm going to try SW's water-based floor products in it, as it doesn't see near the traffic or chemical exposure as the garage. SW has a "high-gloss" product I want to try.

This is what it looked like, caulked and primed.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote