Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #5551
drtbkmic
A Real Gem

Oddometer: 117
Nice! I have often dreamed of doing what you are doing with small "moped" type bikes. I think that would be a blast. Would love to walk through the row on the far right. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizingson View Post
Old 10-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #5552
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Good gosh. When are the tour hours?
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #5553
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
I am new to this site, but been lurking for awhile. Enjoying everyones man castles, lots of cool shops and ideas. I'll try and post a few pics of mine. A bit crowded but working on more space.
Here's the main working area, and a couple of views. Oh! I'm an addicted Vintage Japanese Bike collector and retired. So this is my fun time
More proof...there is no such thing as a garage that's too big. No such thing as you have too many motorcycles for that matter. Good thing most (if not all) of these bike are kick start. It would be a full time job rotating a fleet of battery tenders. Looks like you're enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #5554
Rizingson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Tech23 said:..... It would be a full time job rotating a fleet of battery tenders.

All have kick start, but most have a battery ignition system. Just some of the trail bikes have magneto ignition, but then if you run without a battery, any bulbs that are turned on will blow out. The battery is the regulator in most early Japanese bikes.

Believe me, keeping batteries in good condition through the winter is a busy routine, however not as bad as keeping carbs from gumming up with the dreaded ethanol we have for fuel. All bikes get stabalized fuel all the time, not just for winter. Then I don't have to worry about the ratio.
I try my best to be a rider not hider, but keeping more than about 20 available to ride is no longer so easy for me (I use to come home from work and ride 4 bikes about 4 to 6 miles each, then a different 4 the next day etc. etc.... As I'm getting older, It will probably be more likely to have 6 ready to ride at all times. It's now getting time to start the long process of battery and fuel removal for this winter. At least each battery is labeled as to which bike it came from. (I only made that mistake once)

Some batteries getting ready for winter
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #5555
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Tech23 said:..... It would be a full time job rotating a fleet of battery tenders.

All have kick start, but most have a battery ignition system. Just some of the trail bikes have magneto ignition, but then if you run without a battery, any bulbs that are turned on will blow out. The battery is the regulator in most early Japanese bikes.

Believe me, keeping batteries in good condition through the winter is a busy routine, however not as bad as keeping carbs from gumming up with the dreaded ethanol we have for fuel. All bikes get stabalized fuel all the time, not just for winter. Then I don't have to worry about the ratio.
I try my best to be a rider not hider, but keeping more than about 20 available to ride is no longer so easy for me (I use to come home from work and ride 4 bikes about 4 to 6 miles each, then a different 4 the next day etc. etc.... As I'm getting older, It will probably be more likely to have 6 ready to ride at all times. It's now getting time to start the long process of battery and fuel removal for this winter. At least each battery is labeled as to which bike it came from. (I only made that mistake once)

Some batteries getting ready for winter
Look at all the 6 volts, I can't say I envy that part of your collection...lol. When I lived back east between all the trucks, bikes, ATV's and yard equipment I had to have a bulletin board so I could keep track of which vehicle got oil changes and when. Out here in the desert batteries don't last long even on a battery tender unless the garage is air conditioned. In the summer my garage cools down to about 100 at night. I park the bikes during the summers triple digit temperatures. They stay on battery tenders all year long.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #5556
RickS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Wow
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #5557
foggy50361
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Pissed I hate the UK

Just to point out how lucky you guys in the States are, I'm guessing there are approx 60 bikes in the photo's and not including the cost of insurance to have all those bikes available to ride in the UK would cost you around $7000 before you turn a wheel.

I am so envious

Just thought I'd point out, that's every year
Dr Seuss. One man getting it right all the time

foggy50361 screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 12:28 AM Reason: because I suck
foggy50361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM   #5558
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post
Just to point out how lucky you guys in the States are, I'm guessing there are approx 60 bikes in the photo's and not including the cost of insurance to have all those bikes available to ride in the UK would cost you around $7000 before you turn a wheel.

I am so envious

Full coverage insurance on all those bikes in the US would cost around 14000-18000 yr I am guessing. They will get your money one way or another. If I were fortunate enough to own a collection like that and only rode them a few miles in circulation there would be some plate swapping going on.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #5559
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy50361 View Post

I am so envious

Oh don't worry, we're headed that direction- just watch the news...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #5560
Rizingson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Just wanted to clear up some speculation on costs etc.
When I built this shop, about 4 yrs before retiring, I had an approximate number of how many bikes I still wanted to have and be able to maintain. (mostly the bikes I owned during the '60s and '70s and then soon after the ones I dreamed of owning as a teenager) Once the disease (collecting, hording whatever you want to call it) hits. The thrill of the hunt just takes over. I now have bikes from Florida, Maine, Washington and So. California and most states in between. In hindsight, I should have doubled the size originally planned. That would have accommodated my collection and still left space to easily access each one as well as do the necessary maintenance etc. The number of 60 was mentioned, maybe in those photo's, but the number is actually higher. (Let's just say I've invested over 6 figures into my hobby) Very few are licensed for the road, but all (except a couple of roller parts bike's, ie a Honda S90 and a Yamaha YA6 currently being used to complete like bikes) are insured by Hagerty, a company specializing only in collectable vehicles. Each policy is for an agreed on stated value, as well as some restrictions that are tailored to my needs. I can ride each 200 miles per year, so they have liability coverage for that as well as roadside service. They are also insured when I transport to shows and at the show itself for damage or theft of parts etc. They must be stored in a locked and secured storage. This coverage can still be gotten for just under a 1000 US dollars a year for all combined. As far as DMV costs, eliminating the plates and only paying for sales tax and title transfer saves about 60 to 100 per bike. I have 2 police/sheriff's living within a mile of my place that are willing to come over and do the VIN verification for all out of state bike for free! I really appreciate that, as I don't have to load and haul and pay for that service. Obtaining a dealer plate has come up, but cost about 6000 per year and have other requirements as well, so not really an option for me.
Riding each about every 2-3 wks is necessary to keep the systems working. Fortunately I live on a 1 1/2 mi private paved loop that has some nice curves and hills. Great for exercising the smaller tiddlers, as about 50mph is all that can be safely attained. Also within a half mile I can get on unpaved roads and ride for 20 miles without ever encountering a car or fortunately a sheriff
As far a continuing to grow the collection, there are very few models left that I am interested in. I think there are only 3 or 4 Honda models sold in the US during the 60's that I don't have. I've never centered my attention on any particular model or size, so working on them is always new, different and enjoyable. One of each model is more my style as I am intrigued by the engineering and style of each and insist on originality, then appreciate it for what it is. For instance, I picked up a dealer brochure back in '67 that has Honda's full lineup for that year. I used to dream & drool over it as a 16yr old kid. Now every bike model in that booklet is in my shop as well as many Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and Suzuki's also. While being acutely aware of how blessed I've been, chasing this dream has also been hard fought and having a wife that allows this kind of compulsion is something I'm also thankful of. As a trained mechanic, back in the early seventies, I've been asked many times to work on someone's vintage bike, but always politely turn them down, because I don't want my retirement hobby to become a Job which would no longer be fun. I've done that with other hobby's and got burned out real quick I do share technical advice and historical info on several forums/groups as a way of contributing, inspiring and helping other vintage enthusiasts.
Moral of this whole story: Build the biggest man cave you can afford for your bikes, you may need it sooner than you think!!

Rizingson screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 01:57 PM
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #5561
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,198
Quote:
I am new to this site, but been lurking for awhile. Enjoying everyones man castles, lots of cool shops and ideas. I'll try and post a few pics of mine. A bit crowded but working on more space.
Here's the main working area, and a couple of views. Oh! I'm an addicted Vintage Japanese Bike collector and retired. So this is my fun time
Very nice!

Those of us who suffer from varying degrees of MBS want to thank you for providing these photos. It's never a bad thing to always be able to point to someone else and say to your wife/SO, "Yeahbutt, I'm not as bad as Rizingson (in this case)! Have you seen the number of bikes he has?!?!"

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #5562
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
What an awesome and fun collection!

Be sure to let us know if you need help running them....
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #5563
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
If you can swing it, replace the waterheater with a tankless/on demand setup... not only can you save money on your bills, but you can gain some extra storage room in that nook. Don't worry, I can spend your money just as good as mine...
Looks like dust collector to me.
Nice
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #5564
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
Here's my soon to be 18x24 shop/garage.I have built 2 sidecar rigs and 2 choppers and 1 ADV GS500 in my 12x12 shed.I 'm building the big shop as $$$ come in.I should be done by early spring !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:03 AM   #5565
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
I can't even imagine what my wife would say if I had that many bikes.

Great collection.