Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #5746
CantWait2Ride
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
Therapy couch

For some reason, it looks like a lot of work could be done in here.
CantWait2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #5747
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjxlrider View Post
Here's my mess with way too many project ongoing. I had a bunch of boxes out to gather up what I needed for 3 bike builds this winter , Much better organized now.

Wow, nice! I have one of those Yammies too. My '85 has 40k miles on it and is worn out.

Some of these man caves have more SF than my house!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #5748
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualdogdave
This system has become very popular in the restaurant industry. It's perfect for that, because of the sealed cove.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #5749
bymbie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Can someone educate me about this particular epoxy quartz floor? I have a 16x20 shed with plywood floor and would like to finish it... I watched through epoxy threads... still undecided, but this one looks great.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #5750
cousinbob
just one more....

Oddometer: 46
Hi Bymbie-Epoxy flooring performance and longevity begins with having a solid substrate. Usually that is concrete that has been prepared with a surface profile to bond too. We have installed over wood substrates after installing a cement based underlayment first. It is critical that the structure is very static and well supported. Any movement and you will experience problems. Usually cracks develop and then the floor system will deteriorate from there at a rate dependent upon traffic and moisture. Also, vapor emission from below your substrate should be measured. Persistent moisture vapor emission of more than 3lbs can cause delamination of the coating system. Even though you are probably not on grade with your plywood you may still want to consider a moisture barrier if you go for an epoxy floor. Another thing to consider if you are not heating this is possible issues with thermal expansion of dissimilar materials.

Last, I would say that in my world you would be looking at $7-10 sf for the decorative quartz floor plus another $5-7 for an underlayment. Many times that factor puts in motion other flooring options.

The web has a ton of info on epoxy floors. Check out General Polymers/Sherwin Williams website as a place to start if you want read up. Good luck with your project.
cousinbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #5751
jjxlrider
Part time adult

Oddometer: 938
My floor is from U-Coat It, industrial epoxy, over concrete is the only way I'd do it. I did mine after the floor was freshly poured. I let it cure for over a month while I did the garage itself then coated it. Been 200% satisfied with it. Don't get the cheap versions, they will not hold up to garage use. I weld over mine and no burning. been 4 years now not a crack, chip, flaking , staining, anything. I even spilled battery acid on it and didn't know the battery was leaking for a couple days, wiped right off like it was water.

I do need to do a good cleaning though , but that's just mop and bucket to make it look new again.

The other epoxy's I don't know much about.
'08 525XC , --> '06 LTR450. looking for '96 thru '05 DR650
jjxlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #5752
1 wheel peel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinbob View Post
...... Also, vapor emission from below your substrate should be measured. Persistent moisture vapor emission of more than 3lbs can cause delamination of the coating system.......
What can be done about this? I have a 30'x50' barn/shop and there was no moisture barrier put down before the slab was poured in 2003. The only time it is a probablem is 8-10 times a year if it has been cool 30-40 degrees and then warms suddenly the floor sweats pretty bad. There is no coating on it and I have been hesatant to put any down because of that and the fact that it's not a show place, I work in there and am pretty good at making a mess.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #5753
cousinbob
just one more....

Probably want to perform a moisture test to see if there is in fact moisture coming up through the concrete or if it is just condensation due to dew point temp. Search for "moisture vapor emission test" and you will find what you need. There are moisture mitigating primers if you do have excess of 3lbs. Search Aquafin for an example, but there are others. If you decide against epoxy, another solution, besides some type of floor covering material, (although they would also be subject to problems if you have a moisture issue) would be polished concrete as this type of floor will still allow the concrete to "breath". Search "FGS Permashine" for an example. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #5754
1 wheel peel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
In the event that it is related to large swings in dew point changes is there anything that can be done to gaurd against that?

thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #5755
jjxlrider
Part time adult

Oddometer: 938
Any coating is going to get wet from condensation, unless you heat the concrete to a bit warmer than the outside temp. The water will always collect to something colder. I keep my door closed when it is humid and run a dehumidifier sometimes. We get 80-90% humidity when it's hot.
'08 525XC , --> '06 LTR450. looking for '96 thru '05 DR650
jjxlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #5756
cousinbob
just one more....

I use a dehumidifier in the summer months in my garage which is below grade on three sides.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #5757
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 wheel peel View Post
In the event that it is related to large swings in dew point changes is there anything that can be done to gaurd against that?

thanks
Condensation won't cause a floor coating to fail (after it has cured, that is). It's the vapor pressure of moisture coming up through a slab that will cause a coating to fail.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #5758
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,215
I'm constantly amazed at the amount of information and knowledge that exists within this forum.
KTM 640 ADV - Guzzi Centauro - Husky TE510 - other stuff
"Yoicks, and away!" - Daffy Duck
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #5759
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 wheel peel View Post
What can be done about this? I have a 30'x50' barn/shop and there was no moisture barrier put down before the slab was poured in 2003. The only time it is a probablem is 8-10 times a year if it has been cool 30-40 degrees and then warms suddenly the floor sweats pretty bad. There is no coating on it and I have been hesatant to put any down because of that and the fact that it's not a show place, I work in there and am pretty good at making a mess.
What you're experiencing is condensation. I get the same thing. Heating your garage will stop that, as well as condensation on anything you store in there. Just keeping it at 50deg will make a huge difference. Basically, you just want to stabilize the temperature. As mentioned, keeping your doors shut will help, too.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #5760
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,463
New dedicated electrical service, expanded wiring, garage doors and openers and a buttload of T8 Shop lights.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote