Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #91
Verndog
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Man, I need to move. I have a two car full of furniture. I have to roll the bike out to work on it. And I leave the $15,000 car in the drive all winter.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #92
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,510
mine is not very pretty or clean...but @40x60 with 12ft. doors i can fit some stuff in it.

may not be as pretty as most....but i dig it.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #93
Megs
Trying to stay upright

Oddometer: 193
The Back Breaker

Heres a snap of me shed thats been 2 years of labour. when shes done it'll house my DR650 and my blacksmithing gear. Hope the picture turns out

Megs screwed with this post 04-07-2007 at 02:03 AM
Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:52 AM   #94
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
The single car attached to the house is for working on stuff. It's had some improvements since these were taken:

This is the 30x40 shop I have in back for storing equipment and work stuff:

Chris
KLboxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #95
Megs
Trying to stay upright

Oddometer: 193
Photo this time?

Has it worked this time?

Megs screwed with this post 07-13-2007 at 06:47 AM
Megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #96
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 208
Crap! most of your garages are bigger than our house!

not fair.

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #97
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo suzuki
Crap! most of your garages are bigger than our house!

not fair.
My pole building, above, is 50 square feet larger than my house .

Living the dream
Old 04-08-2007, 09:39 AM   #98
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR
My pole building, above, is 50 square feet larger than my house .

Living the dream
Whoa, I like that. How much did it cost to build? (if you don't mind me asking)

My neighbors would have a large exploding hemmorhoid if I put one up, but I'm not here to make them happy
Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #99
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj
Whoa, I like that. How much did it cost to build? (if you don't mind me asking)

My neighbors would have a large exploding hemmorhoid if I put one up, but I'm not here to make them happy
The building was $16,800 or so, installed. It's just a pole building with no foundation. I'll be pouring the floor this spring @ about $2200 +/- Some cost was added when we put on full eaves, the wainscoating like border on the bottom , scalloped garage doors and insulation. We were trying to make it look a little more residential because we have some close neighbors.

I asked my neighbors before putting it up and they said they were cool with it. After it went up, we were all like None of us realized how big it would look I'm going to landscape around it to hide it a bit and that should help.

It's pretty cheap garage space, but the building will probably only have a 30 year useful lifespan. That's good enough for my needs, though.

Chris
Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #100
Manchu
carpet pisser

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
The building was $16,800 or so, installed. It's just a pole building with no foundation. I'll be pouring the floor this spring @ about $2200 +/- Some cost was added when we put on full eaves, the wainscoating like border on the bottom , scalloped garage doors and insulation. We were trying to make it look a little more residential because we have some close neighbors.

I asked my neighbors before putting it up and they said they were cool with it. After it went up, we were all like None of us realized how big it would look I'm going to landscape around it to hide it a bit and that should help.

It's pretty cheap garage space, but the building will probably only have a 30 year useful lifespan. That's good enough for my needs, though.

Chris

That is friggin' shweeet!! Besides the obvious usefullness of it, it'll probably add atleast ten-grand to your property value as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Manchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #101
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchu
That is friggin' shweeet!! Besides the obvious usefullness of it, it'll probably add atleast ten-grand to your property value as well.
I guess it could raise or lower the value depending on the buyer

I talked with my neighbors in the cul-de-sac I live on, but I didn't have the chance to talk with the folks in the new development behind us. They went to settlement just before my building popped up overnight I'm thinking that they may not have liked what it did for their property value (1/2 million dollar houses) because a privacy fence appeared soon after my garage.

I used to be able to shoot skeet right off my deck, then they dropped 90 McMansions on 1/4 acre lots behind me. Now they have to look at my barn...revenge is sweet

Chris
Old 04-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #102
solo suzuki
oldskool fool

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
I guess it could raise or lower the value depending on the buyer

...then they dropped 90 McMansions on 1/4 acre lots behind me. Now they have to look at my barn...revenge is sweet

Chris
Great Story!

http://www.solosuzukizone.com

''Lighten up, in a blink of an eye we will all be gone'' NoApes
solo suzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #103
Megadeus
Motorcycles are therapy

Oddometer: 221
Great ideas guys! I'm currently working with an architect to design my next garage. I'm looking at 28x32 footprint with three 9 foot wide doors on the front AND have a shed dormer up top to make a studio. This is very similar to what I'm doing.

Except the stairs will be inside. I'm definitely getting 200 amp 220 service fed to the garage so I can make lots of sparks and install a Motumbo sized 80 gallon compressor.

On the thought of garage design, I'd like to know what was your biggest regret that you forgot to incorporate or include in the original build?
Megadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #104
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeus

On the thought of garage design, I'd like to know what was your biggest regret that you forgot to incorporate or include in the original build?
Nice design. I have a customer with a similar setup and he put dormers frontand back to gain additional space.

Biggest regret:

I didn't put one of these in

www.stripperzone.com/stripperpole.html

Link probably not work safe.

Chris
Old 04-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #105
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadeus

Similar to mine except for the dormer. I was actually leaning to adding one when I built it but opted for going with some giant queen trusses instead. Trusses like that are incompatible with the dormer and I'd rather have an unobstructed bottom floor without posts and beams so I did w/o.

Things I'd have done differently;

Maximize ceiling height. I have 10', and its close to enough. Biggest PIA is the garage door tracks and operators getting in the way of stuff getting jacked way up... and blocking lights when left open. I'd do roll up doors with the operators attached just above the door. Won't get in the way but might not look as Residential..I don't care about that though. The higher and wider the doors the better, I have 9' X 8' and I suppose they're ok.

Add a beam maybe to the roof for a come-along. Handy for pulling motors out and stuff.

Finish it...Finish It! I moved stuff in, then added more electricity, then moved more stuff in, then added more lights, then more stuff, more upfit (water and air in the ceiling, yet more outlets, adding a service door, working on getting around to gutting everything out so I can add HVAC, insulation, sheetrock and paint her up nice. Figuring out where to put stuff is hard, put as much as you can in there and add a wood box or something accessible along the foundation that makes it easy to add outlets, water, speaker wire, whatever.

Add a little shed for the monster compressor out back, gets old listening to it.

Drains in the floor and hot water on a hose bibb can be surprisingly useful.

Block every conceivable space where you might need to nail something, nice for cabinets, hose reels, etc...

In the midst of working on mine so this stuff is pretty much on my head.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote