ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 31,062
OT: Rockies Shop Talk

A thread for us to share ideas / questions / answers and information about our garages/workshops.

Kinda like our own mini Rockies Garage Journal :-)

Lets see pics of your motorcycle's space?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'd posted this in randomness but it is worth repeating:

Do any of you guys have lithium tool batteries sitting in your chargers in your garages right now?

i.e the batteries for your cordless drills/screwdivers/jigsaws/etc...

There is a frightening collection of photos from guys on GJ who have burned down their garages due to these chargers being left unattended! It was a real eye opener for me as Ive always left all of my milwaukee batteries sitting in the charger.

I just wired up my workshop so that when i throw the switches at the door I kill all of the outlets (turning off the chargers in the process.

Food for thought.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Does anyone know how to calculate "BTU's needed" ?

I'm trying to figure out how not to freeze m'arse off in my garage this winter. In my old single car space a Mr Buddy heater was sufficient but it won't cut it in the new space.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

I'm trying to figure out how not to freeze m'arse off in my garage this winter. In my old single car space a Mr Buddy heater was sufficient but it won't cut it in the new space.

http://www.ultimategarageheater.com/...calculator.php

Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,695
I'm not sure I fully buy into the idea that leaving modern lithium batteries on a charger poses any great risk. Maybe I'm googling the wrong terms but I can't seem to find any literature that indicates this is a bad idea.

Some pictures of burned structures, while graphic in their own right, leave me skeptical. I'm way more worried about the collection of chemicals in my garage.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

This works as a basic BTU calculator. I am a mech-e and there are tons of equations out there to calc it, you are better off with an internet calculator.

I want to know what folks are doing for cost effective florescent lighting. T8, T12?
Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Oooh oooooh!

related question...

Does anyone know how to run a gas line? My house has natural gas and it'd be bitchin' if I could extend the service to my shop for heating purposes.

I'm the type of guy that will tackle almost any project.. but the potential to create an earth-shattering-kaboom has me shy to tackle that one on my own.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
I'm not sure I fully buy into the idea that leaving modern lithium batteries on a charger poses any great risk. Maybe I'm googling the wrong terms but I can't seem to find any literature that indicates this is a bad idea.

Some pictures of burned structures, while graphic in their own right, leave me skeptical. I'm way more worried about the collection of chemicals in my garage.
There are threads on Garage Journal about it.
The top picture I posted was featured in USA today about one of the guys on GJ that had his burned down from his drill batteries being left on the charger.

Its not that hard to fathom - Lithium batteries do NOT want to be overcharged. The overcharge detection circuit fails (in a mass-produced chinese charger) and the battery explodes.

What are the odds?
...but I'm sure the gents who've posted they've had the fires wished they'd not left their's plugged in.

Geek screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 02:36 PM
Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 836
Quote:

I used the kerosene bullet heaters for a long time but got tired of the smell after long work sessions. Since my shop isn't plumbed for gas and I didn't want to use propane I decided to use radiant electric heaters. They work great but they don't heat up the area, only the workspace they're pointed at... they're the bright spots in this pic...

If you're interested, lemme know and I'll snag the make and model off the units...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfab View Post

I want to know what folks are doing for cost effective florescent lighting. T8, T12?
I don't know how "cost effective" it is.. but I just installed seven quad light T8's - so 28, 2000 lumen bulbs - totals 56,000 lumens.

Each light unit draws right around 1amp so if I have all 7 on I'm drawing 7 amps. I've wired them into 4 zones so I can just turn on the light I need - or I can turn the entire shop into "daylight".

I got them at home depot.. and like the fact they have a wire mesh over them as I've smashed some flourescent tubes in the past by accident (hit one with an 8 foot stick of 80/20 aluminum once.. made a helluva mess )

The other issue with light is color of the light.

I'm a "warm light" guy. In the house I won't have any light that is more than 4K.
That said.. I went with 5K for the shop.
The light is slightly whiter (they call it their daylight equivalent) without being blue. Personally I cannot stand blue light. I know some guys prefer 6500K light for their workspaces but it makes me want to scratch my eyeballs out.

You are welcome to come on by and check my lighting out to see if that helps you decide in any way. Just drop me a PM.

edit: I know you've seen these light photos but I'll post them again for anyone seeing this for the first time re: lights

One quad light on:

All seven units on:

Geek screwed with this post 11-06-2014 at 02:28 PM
Old 11-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
I used the kerosene bullet heaters for a long time but got tired of the smell after long work sessions. Since my shop isn't plumbed for gas and I didn't want to use propane I decided to use radiant electric heaters. They work great but they don't heat up the area, only the workspace they're pointed at... they're the bright spots in this pic...

If you're interested, lemme know and I'll snag the make and model off the units...
Those look like a great option! Any idea how much electricity they draw?

I currently have 3 different heating systems (including a kerosene bullet that Tha Rick gave me ) but all of them have "exhaust" related fumes.

I'm hoping to put something in that has no associated exhaust gasses inside the shop itself.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,485
ADVgarageJournal... I like it!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Tha Rick
Shake and bake!

Oddometer: 5,314
How about a little help selecting a moto lift. Something that I could attach some wings to for a snowmobile would be great.

It's not about tha bike nor tha ride; it's about tha adventure in life we all seek. Great memories are made of taking tha trail less traveled and explored.
Tha Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Those look like a great option! Any idea how much electricity they draw?
Yes, I have a house monitor system that I use to tell when I've left them on... besides the red glow coming from the windows. They're around 5KW each but let me get the make/model. They're 220V BTW... IIRC they cost around $1/hour to run when both are running...

ThaRick, the one shown above is a Handy "home" lift. Exactly the same as what's in the shops except for the number of cycles for which they're rated. I bought it 10 years or so ago and it was around $800 delivered.. looking up the website I see they've gone up in price a little..
http://www.handyindustries.com/produ...-1000-air-lift
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
scaryfast
Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Rick View Post
How about a little help selecting a moto lift. Something that I could attach some wings to for a snowmobile would be great.
I just purchased a lift for my garage.

http://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-ga...eaver-tx-1000/

Works very good....it was about $150 to ship it up so your at $750 total and comes with the front wheel jaws. The Handy is what most shops use but didn't want to spend the extra coin for one.

I looked at the Harbor Freight ones too, but like all HF stuff you need to modify it a little to get it right.

As far as heat is concerned, like Merphs, these don't heat the works space unless it's a smaller garage. My dad used to have two pointed towards where He worked on the bikes and they did great for winter use.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Berger-.../dp/B002R686FQ

They are a wall mounted Quartz heater, I'll be putting some up in the garage here soon for the colder months.
www.fullfactoryoffroad.com
scaryfast is offline   Reply With Quote