ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
delux2769 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
New to Colorado

Howdy,

I'm a new resident to Colorado from Texas. I currently don't have a bike, I am scouring Craigslist to find one in my budget (less than $1500) that I can ride on the streets and off road while being able to be 2up on the highway occasionally.

I found a '98 Katana 600 that has DS tires and all plastics are off. Only needs a new front wheel, as the current one has a small dent that is felt at highway speeds.

I'm looking for something that is already street legal and that I can ride all year long in the snow. When I first started riding in Oklahoma, motorcycles were my only mode of transportation for 4 years.

Thanks m8s,
Dustin
delux2769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
ColoradoBigfoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by delux2769 View Post
Howdy,

I'm a new resident to Colorado from Texas. I currently don't have a bike, I am scouring Craigslist to find one in my budget (less than $1500) that I can ride on the streets and off road while being able to be 2up on the highway occasionally.

I found a '98 Katana 600 that has DS tires and all plastics are off. Only needs a new front wheel, as the current one has a small dent that is felt at highway speeds.

I'm looking for something that is already street legal and that I can ride all year long in the snow. When I first started riding in Oklahoma, motorcycles were my only mode of transportation for 4 years.

Thanks m8s,
Dustin
Like your go get'em attitude, but you will find you are not going to be able to ride all year long, even in Denver. Short street rides that avoid shaded areas is about all you should expect Mid Nov through March. If you ride MX or single track you can get your motorcycle fill (if you limit riding to front range areas). Plan on having a car on standby. In regards to your bike search....I would not buy the bike you described in OP. My advice would be to wait until winter/early spring to buy something. Prices will be cheaper and you will have a better idea of the type of bike that will suit your needs here in CO. Welcome to Colorado!....best ridin' on earth
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
whiskeyandbikes
Misplaced

Oddometer: 264
You might be able to find an old DR650 in that price. With some studed Shinko 244 you can ride year round. You have to watch out for cars though. We have a bunch of shitty drivers here and snow makes it more dangerous
Shawn
Old 06-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
delux2769 OP
n00b

My main mode of transportation right now is my '02 Subaru WRX Wagon lifted on Forester struts and springs and soon to have 27" tires.

I was looking at an older XR400, but it was too tall for me. I have thought about the DR650, but me being kinda short and light, I was unsure how "fun" the bike would be in the snow and street.

I would love a 400 size bike. I'd be alright with a 250 if my girlfriend buys the Shadow that she wants... Then we'll have a bike to 2up on and I'll be able to have my own fun bike.

Thanks for the heads up on steering clear of the bike I was looking at.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
blackjackdavey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by delux2769 View Post
My main mode of transportation right now is my '02 Subaru WRX Wagon lifted on Forester struts and springs and soon to have 27" tires.
i hope it has a cow-catcher and a skid-plate, and i want to see a picture of it when you done setting it up.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
RLK

Oddometer: 6,516
There's nothing in the CO residents handbook that says you can't ride a $1500 bike every day of the year. I did it for about 4 years on an XL250. Obviously you want light weight, knobby tires and 'crashability' for winter riding. Kickstarting is more reliable than electric start when its really cold out and the battery gets cold. Get a bike that doesn't really need a battery if you want.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
delux2769 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
There's nothing in the CO residents handbook that says you can't ride a $1500 bike every day of the year. I did it for about 4 years on an XL250. Obviously you want light weight, knobby tires and 'crashability' for winter riding. Kickstarting is more reliable than electric start when its really cold out and the battery gets cold. Get a bike that doesn't really need a battery if you want.
RLK,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was worried that kick-starting would be less reliable in the winter. I'm glad to hear from someone with first hand experience that it's actually "easier". Even gladder to see that your in my neck of the woods!

Best,
Delux
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #8
wbunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I have a 2001 KLR650 that I will sell for $1500 .
wbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:40 AM   #9
BlackHawkChief
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
You would do well to buy his klr
BlackHawkChief is online now   Reply With Quote