ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 PM   #1
sturg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
OT: FFL helo crash in CO

So earlier on Friday (07/03/15) the a Flight For Life helo burst into flames & crashed shortly after take off leaving Summit Co. medical center in Frisco. I work at Saint A's so word got round pretty quick as a lot of our staff knew the flight crew professionally & personally. The pilot (set to retire in the next 3-6 months) was DOA, the medic went to surgery, is going to survive but is very banged up and the nurse is in pretty dire straights with 75% of his body burnt. Thankfully no patients were on board & no one was injured on the ground.

One of the reason I felt necessary to make is post is because these are some of the guys who come rescue us when we wreck our bikes & ourselves in the middle of no where. Keep them & their families in your thoughts in the coming weeks and months.

sturg screwed with this post 07-04-2015 at 09:24 AM
sturg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Hicountryrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
My wife and I had just finished up a bike ride and were relaxing when we saw the FFL helo take off. Right away we could tell something was wrong but then it disappeared behind the building and we didn't hear a crash. Then a few seconds later we saw thick black smoke coming from behind the building. We were about 1/4 mile away on the east side of the hospital and drove over there but we were too late to get close enough and the fire crews and hospital people were there within minutes (crash site was only 30? Yards from the helipad). We did see the crew being wheeled into the hospital. It was a sad scene. Neither my wife or I slept hardly at all last night - can't get it out of our minds. My wife actually had to use FFL 10 years ago for a tib/fib break due to mountain bike accident in the nat forest near Fairplay so we know how important they are.
Hicountryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
Colorad0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturg View Post
One of the reason I felt necessary to make is post is because these are some of the guys who come rescue us when we wreck our bikes & ourselves in the middle of no where. Keep them & their families in your thoughts in the coming weeks and months.
So sad when things like this happen. I often hear and see that chopper fly over my house when there's been a wreck on 285.

Colorad0 screwed with this post 07-04-2015 at 08:03 AM
Colorad0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,797
Damn. Will be thinking about this today. Prayers for the families affected and thanks to all the service providers out there who do the risky jobs to help their communities.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 1,730
Prayers for the family and friends, we arrived in Frisco this morning for the parade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,609
Too sad. So many of these helo crashes occur near the takeoff. Prayers to all involved.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
rickster60
Not so NOOB anymore

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicountryrider View Post
My wife and I had just finished up a bike ride and were relaxing when we saw the FFL helo take off. Right away we could tell something was wrong but then it disappeared behind the building and we didn't hear a crash. Then a few seconds later we saw thick black smoke coming from behind the building. We were about 1/4 mile away on the east side of the hospital and drove over there but we were too late to get close enough and the fire crews and hospital people were there within minutes (crash site was only 30? Yards from the helipad). We did see the crew being wheeled into the hospital. It was a sad scene. Neither my wife or I slept hardly at all last night - can't get it out of our minds. My wife actually had to use FFL 10 years ago for a tib/fib break due to mountain bike accident in the nat forest near Fairplay so we know how important they are.
You are exactly the eyewitnessthe FAA wants to speak with. As a retired helicopter mechanic it sounds like a mechanical oversight...but absolutely,one can not assume anything in these situations.
rickster60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #8
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,693
This has really shocked Summit County. We get a lot of tourists, but the number of people who live here year-round isn't that big. It's hit hard. Very tough all around. Our thoughts are with their families and co-workers.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
How tragic. Prayers for injured and families.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,693
http://www.summitdaily.com/news/1711...e-hero-patrick
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
My wife is an RN at St. Anthony's in Lakewood. FFL often transfers patients from Summit down to St. A's and these crews are well known to the staff in Lakewood. When I spoke to her on the phone today she said the mood is very somber today with lots of quiet tears.

Prayers to the families of these and all the others that put it on the line for the public each and every day!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
My thoughts are with them.

If you witnessed the machine on takeoff please contact the ntsb or the faa office in denver.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #13
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 200
Very tragic and has really rocked Summit County as well as the whole Colorado EMS community. The pilot, Patrick, was a hell of a guy and his wife Karen, a former flight RN, is awesome. I had the privilege to fly with both of them back in my medic days up in Summit County and my heart and prayers are with them.

I don't know the Flight nurse real well but I used to work and teach with his brother. Their whole family is a Summit County institution. Hard to meet someone that doesn't know them. I know it's a poor prognosis and personally I'd rather die than live through a tragedy like this with 80% total surface area burns. It's gonna be a long road brother. Good thing your tough as nails!

Working with FFL of Colorado in varying degrees over the last 16 years I can say these people are some of the most committed and hard working professionals I have ever met. It takes 2 kind of people to do this kind of work, cowboys and angels. I haven't personally met any of the former yet.
Godspeed to all involved.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
It hits home when a fellow aviator goes down.
Prayers are with the fam's.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #15
delta21
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. It has been a long weekend here at FFL. We are holding up as well as could be expected. I really can't say much more about the crew than you can find out on the news (We are trying to respect the families privacy as much as possible during this tragedy). The families will be releasing the names in the next few days

We have kept a 24 hour around the clock vigil over Patricks body. He has NOT and will NOT EVER be left alone without a crew member at his side!
We also have had a crew member at both of our other crew members bed side, the injured and their families will NEVER be alone either!

Please keep all of us, especially the crew and families in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time.
I will post updates as I get them and am cleared to do so.

Chad Miller "Delta-21"
Lead Flight Paramedic FFL CO

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loca...isco/29721941/

delta21 screwed with this post 07-05-2015 at 06:02 PM
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote