ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #8386
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
Thanks MeterPig for posting some specs.

I wouldn't tow it with anything smaller than a half ton or equivalent. The tongue weight empty is about 400# and it has a 600# capacity. With a couple of bikes on the deck you're approaching 1k#.
A weight-distributing hitch will help a lot.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #8387
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
Thanks MeterPig for posting some specs.

I wouldn't tow it with anything smaller than a half ton or equivalent. The tongue weight empty is about 400# and it has a 600# capacity. With a couple of bikes on the deck you're approaching 1k#.
I find it rather amazing that Honda says that my 4-cylinder Accord can tow this thing. I have trouble maintaining speed going up I-70 into the mountains while not towing anything, if I have so much as one passenger. Towing something like this would be terrifying.
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #8388
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I find it rather amazing that Honda says that my 4-cylinder Accord can tow this thing. I have trouble maintaining speed going up I-70 into the mountains while not towing anything, if I have so much as one passenger. Towing something like this would be terrifying.
My understanding is that towing capacity is based more on chassis and brake capacity rather than engine power. My truck can allegedly tow 7k lbs, but I would be crawling up hills (it's also pretty sluggish even empty).
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #8389
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
A weight-distributing hitch will help a lot.

True if setup correctly. There is still the issue of the towing weight for the towee weight (yeah, not a word). The trailers with the platform push the limits of towing vehicles.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #8390
James Adams
Not a Texan

I'm cleaning out my closet.

Tourmaster mesh jacket, size XL, red/black with reflective piping, includes shoulder and elbow/forearm armor (CE spec), includes windproof and quilted zip-in liners. About 4 or 5 years old but in good shape. No street crashes. $50

Fieldsheer textile jacket, size M (but fits close to the same as the XL Tourmaster ), blue/black with reflective piping, shoulder and elbow/forearm armor (CE spec), bicep and back vents, includes good quilted zip-in liner. About 5 or 6 years old, a little faded, and has some minor abrasions where I lowsided once. Still a very functional jacket and can be quite warm with the vents closed and the lining in. $35

Both of these jackets have a lot of miles on them (all from me) and are still great jackets, but I've lost a bit of weight and they're getting baggy on me.

Both jackets are freshly laundered and located in Colorado Springs. I'll ship them for about $15 each, but local is preferred. I'm up in Denver fairly often as well, so that's "local" too.

If I don't get any takers for a week or so, I'll just drop them off at Goodwill.

I'll add pictures tomorrow when there's some sunlight.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #8391
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'm cleaning out my closet.

Tourmaster mesh jacket, size XL, red/black with reflective piping, includes shoulder and elbow/forearm armor (CE spec), includes windproof and quilted zip-in liners. About 4 or 5 years old but in good shape. No street crashes. $50

Fieldsheer textile jacket, size M (but fits close to the same as the XL Tourmaster ), blue/black with reflective piping, shoulder and elbow/forearm armor (CE spec), bicep and back vents, includes good quilted zip-in liner. About 5 or 6 years old, a little faded, and has some minor abrasions where I lowsided once. Still a very functional jacket and can be quite warm with the vents closed and the lining in. $35

Both of these jackets have a lot of miles on them (all from me) and are still great jackets, but I've lost a bit of weight and they're getting baggy on me.

Both jackets are freshly laundered and located in Colorado Springs. I'll ship them for about $15 each, but local is preferred. I'm up in Denver fairly often as well, so that's "local" too.

If I don't get any takers for a week or so, I'll just drop them off at Goodwill.

I'll add pictures tomorrow when there's some sunlight.
Well if you end up just giving that kind of stuff away, drop it at the DAG (my garage) and they'll find use and a rider in need eventually.
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #8392
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityjunky View Post
Could you tell me more about that seat?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #8393
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeliot View Post
I find it rather amazing that Honda says that my 4-cylinder Accord can tow this thing.
I... would like to see it try.

Will it pull it? Sure! According to the sales guys, anyways. It'll hitch up, connectors all fit, lights work, and it'll get it moving... then the "check engine" light comes on and trans temp goes through the roof...

And once its moving, something's going to stop it. Whether it's the brakes on the car, or the brakes on the car in front of you... it'll stop one way or another.

Yeah, you'll want a half-ton for that trailer. A full-size SUV would handle it too. My trailer's a heavy beast and when you throw in two sleds, fuel for two sleds, and gear for two guys... factor in mountains/elevation... half-ton's a little on the light side.

And as Meterpig said, tongue weight. Not just that the hitch/chassis can take it, but the suspension on the tow rig too. Airbags will help level things out, but if you don't have the suspension to begin with there's only so much you can do.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #8394
velocityjunky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
Could you tell me more about that seat?
It's a sergeant and quite comfortable.
Buddy of mine had a Corbin, and after riding mine he sold his and bought one of these.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #8395
LostAussie
Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer: 533
+1 for the Sergeant Seat! After having one,I will never buy another Corbin.
LostAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #8396
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocityjunky View Post
It's a sergeant and quite comfortable.
Buddy of mine had a Corbin, and after riding mine he sold his and bought one of these.
I'm currently off the bike due to an adult condition aggravated by the plank of a seat on my KLR, so you might say I'm in the market for another seat.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #8397
matey peeps
Bead Buddy

Oddometer: 3,302
FS: 2003 FJR1300

101,XXX miles, but don't let that scare you. I'd hop on this and ride cross country tomorrow. And back. This was another inmate's LD rally rig that I traded my 1100GS for about 5 years ago, making me the second owner. I'm a real-live motorcycle mechanic and this has been my baby. Overall good condition considering age & mileage, and will get a thorough detailing by my lackeys. Meticulously maintained and will get a full service before the new owner picks it up. Not in too big of a hurry to sell, but I destroyed my knee snowmobiling in March and I can't ride for 3-4 months and I'd like someone to get some enjoyment out of it this summer.

Pretty damn well equipped with Wilbers suspension F&R, handwarmers, Hella FF50 aux lights, power sockets, fork brace, RAM balls, Heli risers, Givi trunk rack, Bill Mayer saddle, Euro Yamaha foot protectors, you name it. Shinko tires at about 50%.

ADV price of $4300, and that's with a set of new tires. If you don't want the new tires, I'll even knock a bit more off. Located in Laramie. PM me if you want more info and pics.
matey peeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #8398
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,012
2007 KTM 990 or Insurance Deductibles Suck

**SOLD**

2007 KTM 990 with 20,500 miles. Hate to let her go, but life happens.

16 tooth counter sprocket / stock 17 included
Black Dog Skid Plate
Heated Grips
2 Powerlets
New Air Filter
Adventure Wind Screen / low profile one included
Euro Headlights / US stock one included
Renazco Seat / KTM Low GEL seat included
Oil Tank Drain Line Mod for Easy Oil Changes
2nd Radiator Fan
Recently Adjusted Valves
New Coolant
New Battery
Clutch Slave Fix
Water Pump Seal fix

ADV price $7,000.99

jp

3oh3-229-82 eighty

Iron Horse screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 02:13 PM
Iron Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #8399
MeterPig
Meh

I did a google search on the foot guards-very cool mod.

In thinking about the mileage driving around in my Honda that has 214,000 miles, it seems completely plausible that a modern bike today could easily turn the same kind of mileage and more. Do you know the highest recorded mileage for a FJR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matey peeps View Post
FS: 2003 FJR1300

101,XXX miles, but don't let that scare you. I'd hop on this and ride cross country tomorrow. And back. This was another inmate's LD rally rig that I traded my 1100GS for about 5 years ago, making me the second owner. I'm a real-live motorcycle mechanic and this has been my baby. Overall good condition considering age & mileage, and will get a thorough detailing by my lackeys. Meticulously maintained and will get a full service before the new owner picks it up. Not in too big of a hurry to sell, but I destroyed my knee snowmobiling in March and I can't ride for 3-4 months and I'd like someone to get some enjoyment out of it this summer.

Pretty damn well equipped with Wilbers suspension F&R, handwarmers, Hella FF50 aux lights, power sockets, fork brace, RAM balls, Heli risers, Givi trunk rack, Bill Mayer saddle, Euro Yamaha foot protectors, you name it. Shinko tires at about 50%.

ADV price of $4300, and that's with a set of new tires. If you don't want the new tires, I'll even knock a bit more off. Located in Laramie. PM me if you want more info and pics.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #8400
MeterPig
Meh

What is the insurance deductible part?