ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #11071
29andSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussie View Post
OEM wheels from a 2004 DR650. Front comes with the brake rotor, back does not. Thought I would try here before they go on flee bay. Please buy them so I don't have to figure out how to ship them!
$300 for the pair.
PM sent.
29andSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #11072
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
You see a lot of this these days
Hey, I represent that
Old 04-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #11073
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
I still have this. How about $150?
Contact me via PM.
It goes to 12!!!!

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #11074
MaParkerColo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by StmbtDave View Post
Hey, I represent that

Not necessarily a bad thing. I used to race mountain bikes and there was a guy on my team who had a similar build (well granted a little slimmer). Turned into a decent rider. We referred to him as "The Plow" or "Taco" he used to bend wheels like crazy until he custom built a set that were a little, uhmm more robust

Transitioning to dirt from squiding?
MaParkerColo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #11075
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Those bicycles are as expensive as a dirt bike with an engine! Why is that?

Makes me appreciate the value we get in motorcycles.
Status factor. it's a never ending game of new and more trick crap coming out year after year. I used to play that game, custom made frames, titanium running gear, blah, blah. This was back when a grand for a bike was pretty over the top. I wised up eventually and spent less, trained more and rode better. Then mountain bikes happened and that evolved into starting at the top and zooming down on full suspension which is what happened to XC skiing---zooming down is more fun that sweatiing up. And I got into motorcycles and just got off the whole bicycle treadmill. Still have an old cross bike with all the trick bits of it's time...rode it up the barely perceptible grade on my street the other day and about died...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #11076
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,126
Quote:
It's because bicycle maufacturers have figured out that most riders today aren't willing to lose 1lb of body fat, but they are willing to pay $$$ to shed 1 gram of bike weight.

You see a lot of this these days
foreward: I'm in no way taking your post personally - I'm just entering the discussion on "why good bikes cost so much" - since it was my bike for sale that triggered the question

That's my twin in the photo... no doubt Ben, but I disagree with your photo choice.
That guy is out there, getting off the sofa, and trying to lose weight. Good for him!
If he has stuck with it, I'd love to see what he looks like now.
I can't believe how fast I'm losing weight by peddling my arse off
(literally? ).

Perhaps a photo of a bicycle sitting in the garage covered in dust would be more appropriate (or parked in front of starbucks in boulder ).

There is a huge difference in how fun it is to bomb down the mountain with a great bike vs. an average bike.
We had so much fun in the Hall Ranch rock garden yesterday thanks to the great suspension setups our Yetis have.
Turns out my Yeti 575 frame is a bit too big for me (who would have thought I'd ride a medium size? )
.. but I am in fact buying another Yeti because they are incredible fun to ride and they work remarkably well!

I don't know what type of bike you have Ben, but we are headed to Heil Ranch tonight after work if you want to join us
If you don't have a really good bike, we have a few to choose from that should fit you so you can try the difference; just give me a call first so we bring 'em.
If you do have a bike, be sure and bring a headlamp!

Pic from yesterday:

Geek screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 12:36 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #11077
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
It's because bicycle maufacturers have figured out that most riders today aren't willing to lose 1lb of body fat, but they are willing to pay $$$ to shed 1 gram of bike weight.
At least he's out there getting it....

I don't agree that loosing weight off the rider is the same as loosing weight off the bike/moto. Being leaner will help, but a lighter bike changes the handling characteristics. If you wieghed 300 lbs and were riding a 300 lb dirt bike, what would help you go faster on single track, loosing 30 lbs off your ass, or 30 lbs off your dirt bike? Probably depends on more factors than I'm taking into account, but for me the lighter bike would help in that instance.

It's hard to imagine spending a lot of money on a mountain bike until you get to ride one. They really are pretty damn awesome these days. That being said, I think they're over priced. The stupid components game the industry plays is even more frustrating.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #11078
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
It's hard to imagine spending a lot of money on a mountain bike until you get to ride one. They really are pretty damn awesome these days. .
Agreed. It could be compared to hopping off a XR250 and onto a 2013 KTM 500. I thought my $750 trek 29'r was an awesome bike then demo'd a trek fuel. Phew talk about knife to a gunfight.

They are stupid expensive when you get the awesome ones that change every year, but the same could be said about any enthusiast sport...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #11079
MightyMouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Seat is sold.

Quote:
I have a Sargent World Sport Adventure Touring seat for a Suzuki DR650. $250 for local pick up or delivery.
Perfect condition, maybe 500 miles on the seat.
Neglected to mention that this is the regular height Sargent seat for the DR650, not the low-height version.

MightyMouse screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:36 PM
MightyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #11080
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
foreward: I'm in no way taking your post personally - I'm just entering the discussion on "why good bikes cost so much" - since it was my bike for sale that triggered the question
All well said.

The other point I'd make is that buying an expensive bike is very motivational toward using it- no way my investment is going to sit!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #11081
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Those bicycles are as expensive as a dirt bike with an engine! Why is that?

Makes me appreciate the value we get in motorcycles.
Production volume and demand are the big players. Of course status and marketing play into it for some people too.

I've ridden/owned some seriously high end bikes in my time, but a few years ago came to the realization that the early 90's rigid steel bikes were the most fun. So, now I ride an early 90's steel bike built by Ritchey for the Scott racing team, with a rigid fork, one chainring in front and an eight speed cogset in the rear. I might have $300.00 invested, and it's the funnest bike I've ever owned. While I weighed in at 158 pounds back in my racing days (twenty years ago), I look more like the guys pictured above now. Doesn't mean I'm not having fun, or that I don't know how to ride.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beer-D...85109194854664

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #11082
cptmoney
Two wheels, only one seat

Oddometer: 507
I'm a little late on this one - that's my fault.

This truck is SOLD. Went to another inmate....and a super guy at that.

Sorry to all those who inquired and I've not responded; I've been a bit crazy busy lately!

Thanks ADV -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptmoney View Post

cptmoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #11083
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
All well said.

The other point I'd make is that buying an expensive bike is very motivational toward using it- no way my investment is going to sit!

Given the pace of the technology (and fashion) I was just wondering what the depreciation rate is.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #11084
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,126
Very similar to motorcycles.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #11085
Hazman27
The Haz

Oddometer: 449
Hijacked, look at this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Production volume and demand are the big players. Of course status and marketing play into it for some people too.

I've ridden/owned some seriously high end bikes in my time, but a few years ago came to the realization that the early 90's rigid steel bikes were the most fun. So, now I ride an early 90's steel bike built by Ritchey for the Scott racing team, with a rigid fork, one chainring in front and an eight speed cogset in the rear. I might have $300.00 invested, and it's the funnest bike I've ever owned. While I weighed in at 158 pounds back in my racing days (twenty years ago), I look more like the guys pictured above now. Doesn't mean I'm not having fun, or that I don't know how to ride.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beer-D...85109194854664

motopeds.com
Thank me later in the xr650l forums
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote