So do you hook or slice your balls

No, don't even go there!

My Ride Reports
rallybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 04:30 AM   #17
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,704
Golf sort of sums me up, and not in a good way.

For years I'd go mash balls and hack around the course. In all that time I took maybe 8-10 classes. Mostly, I'd go out on my own and try to will myself to play better.

Two years ago, I was on the team that won the company's hacker tournament. It's the first time I'd ever won anything at sports. Even better, I drove the ball beautifully, best ever. I was on a high.

The next day, I played again, eager to recreate my mastery. Those of you who play, know what happened next.

I've picked-up the clubs but twice more in the last two years.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:19 AM   #18
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Said wxwax:
Golf sort of sums me up, and not in a good way.

For years I'd go mash balls and hack around the course. In all that time I took maybe 8-10 classes. Mostly, I'd go out on my own and try to will myself to play better.

Two years ago, I was on the team that won the company's hacker tournament. It's the first time I'd ever won anything at sports. Even better, I drove the ball beautifully, best ever. I was on a high.

The next day, I played again, eager to recreate my mastery. Those of you who play, know what happened next.

I've picked-up the clubs but twice more in the last two years.
I'm way ahead of you, Waxy.
I took lessons at Ohio State, then played one round after I graduated. I blew. I sucked. I hooked. I sliced. I missed easy putts. I went for adventures in the woods.
I quit while I was behind.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:40 AM   #19
BoxerBoy
Saupreisser Schweinhund

Oddometer: 2,132
Quote:
Said rallybug:
So do you hook or slice your balls

No, don't even go there!
I think Steve's a hooker...
Old 07-21-2003, 07:08 AM   #20
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Re: Golf anyone?

Quote:
Said Jeffaugie:
Who plays the small ball game here?

Freak, KRSSteve, Me

Who else.

Imagine an ADVrider golf tourney.
What fun that would be. :2beer
I play. Haven't played much in the past year or so.

Damn motorcycle.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #21
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
I am a regular weekend player. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times dependent on how many "off site consultations" I have with my job description. Golf only sucks if you suck at it. I sucked at it 15 years ago when I started, but 15 years of practice made me a better, more consistant player. The key is to concentrate and focus when it is time to make the shot, but have fun between shots.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:46 AM   #22
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Said Team Dennis:
I am a regular weekend player. Sometimes even 2 or 3 times dependent on how many "off site consultations" I have with my job description. Golf only sucks if you suck at it. I sucked at it 15 years ago when I started, but 15 years of practice made me a better, more consistant player. The key is to concentrate and focus when it is time to make the shot, but have fun between shots.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:21 AM   #23
Snail-Darter
Slime Dog

Oddometer: 183
... and if you happen to be hitting the ball well that day - lay off the Wild Turkey until the round is done.
Unless you happen to make a birdie and then it Required!!

The Pig: 2000 BMW R1150GS
The Squealer: 2004 KTM 450EXC -thanks R-Dubb!!
Snail-Darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:25 AM   #24
AJ2
Master of the Universe

Oddometer: 1,617
I'm an aspiring hacker. I've played about a dozen rounds in my life, but four of them are in the last month, and I'm taking my first lesson ever on Friday!
I have a low round of 103, and I count *everything*, no gimmes or "improving my lie".
Fun and annoying as hell. I played saturday and had exactly one par. Unfortunately it was on the last hole, and left me feeling good and wanting to play again! Damn game!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:43 AM   #25
freaking RT
will golf for food

the damn move and the damn bike has my game screwy right now. I can shoot all kind's of weird scores. Saturday had a 44 on the front 9 (par 36) with a damn 10 on a par 5 and double bogeyed the next hole. ended up with an shitty 85, dammit

I should be tearing this course up. three of the four par 5's are very reachable and it has some short par 4's. I finally took some cash off the gang here Saturday morn with a tidy little birdie on 16. (hey Rider, it's a dogleg left, 410 yards and had the pin in the front right, hit the driver and the stuck a baby 9 iron to about 18 inches.)

just thinking about my game is going to get me to the driving range tonight. I have a tourney this weekend.

Old 07-21-2003, 01:00 PM   #26
Augie OP
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,368
OK freakingRTrider

We have enough for a foursome (on a golf course) leave the rest out of it please. Now where can we play where they will let us use GS's as golf carts and drink beer. no place around here i can assure you.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:58 PM   #27
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,704
Quote:
Said Team Dennis:
The key is to concentrate and focus when it is time to make the shot, but have fun between shots.
Would that it were that easy. Lack of concentration isn't the issue, it is lack of skill!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #28
Quigley
Seldom Dropped Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,089
Golf......it's a fun game if you don't take it too seriously. I like golf. Good exercise driving the cart around and you don't have to worry about the cart tipping over like a motorcycle if you've had one too many bloody mary's. I don't mind supporting the golf industry and it's cottage industries, like golf ball manufactures. And even if you have a bad round of golf, there's always the 19th hole! The biggest bummer any more just seems to be there's not enough time to get all the fun stuff you want to do done in your off work time.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:43 PM   #29
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Quote:
Said wxwax:
Would that it were that easy. Lack of concentration isn't the issue, it is lack of skill!
Skill comes about with practice, practice, practice. No one likes going to the driving range to practice, so make it fun. Many times the wife and I have spent happy hour at the range. We pack our thermos with pre-mixed drink and go. I tend to sit on the chair and attempt to teach her with what little expertise I have. And we never forget the short game. You can have fun playing closest to the hole with putting and chipping especially when there are some bets on the line.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:20 PM   #30
freaking RT
will golf for food

Re: OK freakingRTrider

Quote:
Said Jeffaugie:
We have enough for a foursome (on a golf course) leave the rest out of it please. Now where can we play where they will let us use GS's as golf carts and drink beer. no place around here i can assure you.
I doubt they'll let GS be carts BUT, there's this little course on the top on the Blue Ridge called Swannanoa that doesn't give a shit about much else I've seen people out there in just blue jean shorts playing golf, no shirt no shoes. it ain't the greatest course but you sure can have some fun there. ps. watch out for rattlers

great riding in the area

and a little hotel at Afton we could take over I think even non-golfing riders would show up at the north end of the BRP. they can ride and we can play and drink

check out http://www.swannanoa.com/swannanoa/index.html

ps the range helped this evening. I think I found something

freakingRTrider screwed with this post 07-21-2003 at 06:27 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: