Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,865
I've used these items from Harbor Freight . .

So here it is . . .

Hi. My name is Jim, and I shop at Harbor Freight.

There are a a great many very usable items there. Some works well out of the box, some works really well with a few modifications, and some is ciirap. But that's true everywhere.

So here goes . . .

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34214
Angle Finder. Has magnetic vee grooves, and screw attachment points. I have one and it works fine. Cheaper than beer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1028
MULTIPURPOSE ANGLE FINDER Get one of these too, they're almost free. They work.

I'm sure I saw a BMW gearbox rebuild photo journal in here using an HF press and dial indicator, magnetic base, and vise. It looked good to me.

So post up. Non-Pretentious Beemer Fookwits

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Poolside OP
Syndicated

80 AMP INVERTER ARC WELDER This is on sale again. $120
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91110

It's a private-label of the France GYS brand. And they are made in China. That's gotta hurt. Top shelf low amp DC inverter welder though. Cast bronze work clamp gets a good grip, and quick-release power cords make changing polarity very quick.

One of these days I'm gonna buy 3 more of these power supplies, take 'em apart and connect the power boards in parallel. Connect gas, a water cooled tig torch, and a pedal, and have 320A for $480 dollars.

AUTO-DARKENING WELDING HELMET This is on sale now too. $50
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46092

I have never seen an arc flash when wearing this helmet, so it cannot get any better than that. The low setting works well with the little welder above. If anything it's a little too dark at its low setting (#9 I think), if you are welding with a low amp setting (the arc isn't as bright at low amp settings). And it does not trigger with sunlight, so it works outdoors.

Yes, the headband hardware is not the strongest, so if you're on the steroids you'll prolly break it. An adjustable headband from another helmet could be easily swapped in. Or, as easily the glass panel can be fit into another helmet.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 03-17-2007 at 06:13 PM
Old 03-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
I would be cautious of that welding helmet. I had one and was working on a small tube frame buggy and my eyes ached after a day of using it. To me even when the hood is turned up all the way its still not as dark as a #10 shaded lense. I went back to my regular hood and eventually I got a real auto darkening hood and tossed that one out.

http://abuddyforlife.org/
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 919
Haha! Poolie shops at Harbor Freight! Nana nana na na...

Oh, wait. I have Harbor Freight junk nestled next to Craftsman and Snap-On tools in my shop box. Things like prybars and die-grinders. If it breaks after two uses, I don't feel screwed.

Hi, my name is Scottysix9, and people pay me to fix their junk. And yes, I use Harbor Freight tools.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,273
At 19.99 how could I not get this:

Oh, I also picked up the $9 heat gun so I can stop borrowing the one my wife used for here scrapbooking projects

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
They've got these great little bins, with like 20-30 compartments inside them containing different sets of things, all the bins are like $5 a piece, and are available in sets of different sized -

heat shrink tubing
retaining clips
washers
o rings

And half a dozen more. I've got a nice stack of them in the garage and they bail me out all the time. Buy alot of air fittings there too. And of course the prerequisite array of assorted handtools. Nothing I have to depend on, but "back up's" and loaners, etc, or things I don't need frequently.
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by willf650
I would be cautious of that welding helmet. I had one and was working on a small tube frame buggy and my eyes ached after a day of using it. To me even when the hood is turned up all the way its still not as dark as a #10 shaded lense. I went back to my regular hood and eventually I got a real auto darkening hood and tossed that one out.
I've burned about 40 pounds of rod using it. Mostly the complaints are about the headband. I noticed the headband rides low on my forehead, and makes whatever muscles hold the eyelids open hurt. And it also makes it much harder to do the squinting that old eyes have to do.

So I rigged a strap front to back over the top of my head. Problem solved.

I get you had other issues with it though.

- Jim

Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Hi, My names Chris and I'm a Harbor Freight shopper.

Loving my $220 lift...

Also scattered about in that picture, some cheap-o Made in India (not China ) polished box end wrenches... I think a set was $10. Nutdrivers were $10 for the set of 6, little stainless magnetic parts dish ($5), latex gloves ($8/200) and a bottle jack ($19). Tremendous bang/buck factor. Most everything I have is OK quality for hobby wrenching.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Poolside OP
Syndicated

I just got this stuff. Air saw and some 32tpi blades, $15. I haven't used it yet, I'm waiting on someone to send be a beat up 1150 fuel tank to cut up. Does anyone have one?

The die grinder isn't HF, get this, it's a HF knockoff I got it at another import tool place called JR's Tools. It's the Pit Bull brand. I think it was $ 8.99 or thereabouts. You see that brand at the swap meet, well this is where the swappers come and stock up, it's crazy. They have everything that HF has, but it's about 30% to 50% less.

I've worn out some HSS and Carbide cutters with it and it's still going. But a few drops of 'mystery oil' goes in the air fitting each time I use it.

- Jim

Attached Images

Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
CMWoody
Banned

I just bought the air saw last week...($9.95) How could you go wrong?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Hi, My names Chris and I'm a Harbor Freight shopper.

Loving my $220 lift...

. . . some cheap-o Made in India (not China ) polished box end wrenches... Tremendous bang/buck factor. Most everything I have is OK quality for hobby wrenching.
Man. I keep threatening to get that lift.

I saw some India socket sets with the GIANT size laser etched into them. But HF was having a sale so they were out of what I wanted.

The drive flats sure look like the usual 'flank drive' shape that every tool company uses.

- Jim

Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #12
ROUNDSTOCK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
more tools

I bought the wrought iron bender on sale for $50 and made my chro- mo gps mount for my 640 works good.I think it works well cuz there is not very many moving parts............
ROUNDSTOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #13
CMWoody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I saw some India socket sets with the GIANT size laser etched into them. But HF was having a sale so they were out of what I wanted.
$14.95, 3/8 set with a pretty decent ratchet and a full set 8-19mm(no 18) and 1/4"-3/4"

Yup, picked that up on sale too. Great to see the size w/o getting all Chinese eyed.

The lift is the deal man, get one. Very strong and well put together. Wheel clamp works but kinda sucks, I'll replace it with a better one some day
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #14
tpunzy
liquid cooled

Oddometer: 2,325
I wrench for a living and depend on my tools to work when I need them to. That being said I have a crap load of harbor freight stuff.

My daily all day use tools 8mm to 18mm are MAC same with screw drivers and bits are MAC. The occasional use are harbor freight. My "modified" tools are from freight (do you want to grind a MAC $35 socket for limited use when you can buy a whole set from freight for $15??????).

I have starret Micrometers and a set from freight, over the years the freight set has held accuracy just as good as my high $ starret set (same with my pittsburg torque wrenches).

But I have burned through many harbor freight grinders, impacts and drill.
tpunzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 AM   #15
btl68
Feelin' down & dirty

Oddometer: 299
There have been quite a few "once a year" tools I have bought from HF...seal puller, hose pliers, jack stands, breaker bars. Whatever looks like it'll survive and is on sale, I'll buy.

My mainstay tools are Craftsman, mainly because I like the feel of them, and they get a lot more use.

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote