Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #196
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4
Nice! I always liked those GT's. Is yours a 1.9?

That PA plate brings back some memories. I liked that one better than the tri color we have now.
Yeah, a 1.9 and runs great. I just worked on it some more yesterday. ALL rubber hoses are now new, as are the fluids!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #197
Colt03
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Hi Jim,

I had one of those in college, If I remember it was a 1971 or so. It is a fun car but it is terrible in the snow, severe understeer.

Have fun with it
2004 R1150GS
Yankee Beemers
IBMWR
Colt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #198
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
I'm dox and I'm a Harbor Freight Shopper.

Cheap impact wrench, ITEM 95310-7VGA

Works OK, but I don't use it much. I think it was on sale for $20 when I got it.

Caliper Tool Set for Disc Brakes, ITEM 40732-2VGA

Only ever needed it once, to change the brakes on our MINI Cooper. Worked fine, haven't needed it since, and sold the car so I'll probably be selling this soon.

Storehouse Wartertight Utility Case, size medium with pick-n-pluck foam (Pelican case knockoff). Discontinued

This. thing. is. awesome. $30 regular price I believe? maybe 25 on sale. I wish i had 3 more of these things. Or even 10 more. Works great as a top box on a strom...

Rambo knife! ITEM 90714-0VGA

Nine dollar impulse purchase. Blade feels dull, but the saw on the back of it actually feels really solid. Rubber seal on the handle to keep water out of the storage tube is pretty much useless. Storage tube has matches, match striker, sewing kit, fishing hook and monofilament, kitchen sink, etc.

10 Piece Color Coded T-Handle Metric Hex Key Set, ITEM 37862-3VGA

So far so good, haven't really used them "hard" enough to break one yet. They feel a little cheap at first, but after using them they are decently solid. I wouldn't try to break a really sticky allen-head bolt with one, but for general use they are fantastic.

Random Crap

I have a few different sets of ratchet straps, I use them for light duty use (keeping the KLR in the back of a truck), they work fine. I buy the 3.99 tube of electrical tape rolls, it works adequately. The bungie cords with the carabiner ends are really handy, but are only good for light duty work. I overstretched one of mine, but it did hold together surprisingly well under the circumstances.

I have various screwdrivers... When the #2 green-handled individually sold phillips head screwdrivers are on sale for a buck, buy 3 of them. They work well enough and have decent grips for general household use.

I know I have more stuff, just can't think of all of it right now.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #199
weerider650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
So far I have used the 10 dollar heat gun. i have used it several times and it has worked great. It is now spending time at work getting constant use and never fails.

I have also used the 7 inch polisher and it too has worked out well. I bought the pneumatic nail gun and stapler combo, so far I have only used it for a couple of days but its worked great. Where has this tool been my whole life?

I have the pneumatic 1200 lb lift ordered and I pick it up tommorow. I am looking forward to that.

I have used several screwdrives, so far they have held up better then the junk screwdrivers from craftsman. Its sad that my harbor freight stuff is holding up better than the craftsman stuff.
weerider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #200
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox
Storehouse Wartertight Utility Case, size medium with pick-n-pluck foam (Pelican case knockoff). Discontinued

This. thing. is. awesome. $30 regular price I believe? maybe 25 on sale. I wish i had 3 more of these things. Or even 10 more. Works great as a top box on a strom...
Nice! Didn't know they ever carried anything like that. I'm a fan of Serpac equipment cases... built a test system in one about a year ago, liked the case so much I bought one and mounted it to the snowmobile... waterproof, airtight, durable, locks... R520 case alone is about $50, add foam and plastic locks brings the total to about $80 from DigiKey.

Fits my camera, extra radio, flares, granola bars, gatorade, water, ratchet straps, lighters, and still have room to spare.

Picked up another butane torch from there today. $7.99, the orange/black one. Busted the plastic top part on the previous one, got knocked around in my bucket. Works great for plastic repairs and most anything you need a torch for.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #201
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dox

Cheap impact wrench, ITEM 95310-7VGA

Works OK, but I don't use it much. I think it was on sale for $20 when I got it.

I have one from HF too, ( not the same as yours ) and it's supposed be up to 140 lbft, but it seems pretty gutless.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #202
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
So has anyone bought the Harbor Freight Tig/Inverter Arc welder?

They seem to have two at different amperage range, and I was wondering if they'd be worth it, primarily as a stick welder but perhaps with the ability to diddle with the Tig function, I have gas already with my Miller 185 Mig.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #203
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby

I got it for $17 also. Now that I have a chance to use it a couple of times ...... I like the pump, the hose sucks. It leaks!

Went back and returned it. I was going to exchange it but they did not have another one.

Now I am looking for the next larger one. Walmart have a Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon for $56. 120VAC house powered. Overkill?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #204
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroad
Walmart have a Campbell Hausfeld 1 gallon for $56. 120VAC house powered. Overkill?
Is it 120 AC / 12V DC?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #205
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
Is it 120 AC / 12V DC?
120VAC. Not portable. The HF one I returned, fills up a car tire FAST! I like it a lot. Just did not have the patients to find another better hose. This one gallon one, may take a bit longer to "charge up"? don't know ......
Old 03-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #206
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

So really you just wanted an inflator for home use?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #207
xroad
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
So really you just wanted an inflator for home use?
Yes. Already have the crappy mini pumps that takes half a day to inflate a motorcycle tire. Only reason to have it is so I can carry it in the motorcycle with the plug kit. At home, a slightly larger pump fills up a car tire in no time. Still want it small size though. Don't want to have to haul a big heavy pump around.

The 120VAC 1 gal Campell Hausfeld is still too big. I would rather find something smaller. 12VDC car battery would be nice also.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #208
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Harbor Freight neted me the the little inverter welder. Never stick welded before. This is gonna be fun.

Some other stuff as well, I think most have been reviewed so far in this thread anyhow, drill bits, their solar welding helmet (figured it could be handy learning stick instead of my bluepoint mask)

Also picked up an 8" digital caliper. Heard good things about the 6" but I have a 6" dial, and a 6" vernier.

So far the 8" digital unit measures my starrett micrometer standards accurately it seems. I don't know what else I'd ask of it.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #209
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
8" digital caliper (fine)
4.5" wire brush for grinder (bit off-balance but it works)
cable oiler (not used yet)
mini-grease gun (fine)
wire brushes (don't last)
adjustable wrenches (meh)
motorcycle tire changer (needs better breaker bar, otherwise works fine for <$90)
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #210
jamin_mathis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Good buy:
Multipurpose Machine Lathe/mill/drill press

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5980
your not going to be turning cylinders with this thing but its great for fabricating/modifying things

Cross slide vice for drill press

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32996
I love this thing, makes drilling accurate and uniform.

Bad buy:
Blaster 1

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95793
Never got it to work even after I broke down and read the instructions

Blaster 2

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96972
The handle split when I was putting in the air fitting

Pipe bender

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32888
Bends to about 45 and then kinks every time

A riot is the language of the unheard MLK

jamin_mathis screwed with this post 03-12-2010 at 03:59 PM