Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 PM   #136
PullMyFinger
underachiever

Oddometer: 5
My butt's overly large anyway, so my pants fit just right!

go ahead, make my day...
PullMyFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #137
mdloops OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Like I stated before I would post the result of my Visa dispute. Visa was able to get me a full refund for the pants.

EDIT: The woman whom I originally talked to did not have her facts right. Visa has until July 1st to make a final ruling.

mdloops screwed with this post 06-19-2007 at 12:01 PM
mdloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #138
mdloops OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Visa recently sent me a letter confirming that they have ruled in my favor. This is my final post, do business with Motoport at your own risk.

You have all been warned.
mdloops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #139
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Another happy Motoport customer here.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #140
VanDamm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
This has been a long read,...w/ valid points here and there. (with some long ramblings as well) It's late, I must go to bed now...
VanDamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #141
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Thought I'd put in 2 cents here.

Being a mid 20's sportbike rider is not the ideal demographic for wearing top notch gear as Motoport, but I saved up for my Motoport gear for well over a year to make the purchase and here are my thoughts:

Practicality: Wearing jeans, a jacket, helmet and gloves are as practical as any gear gets. Start throwing pants and other protective gear in the mix and gear then becomes less practical. Riding a motorcycle everywhere is not very practical either, but I still do it. Taking the extra 5 minutes to put on Motoport's gear and lock up when hanging out with friend's is worth the impracticality IMHO. Skin graffs are also impractical INHO.

Fit: Seems to be hit or miss with many, I was very fortunate to get fitted in person; so no issues there.

Overall Gear: The best and the last I'll ever wear. Breaths better than anything and while not the most styleish, all my sportbike and track day friends always want to see my gear because it's by far the most impressive gear any of them have ever seen.

Recently slid a good 100 ft with my motoport air mesh pants doing a track day, can barely see the marks.
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #142
greybeard146
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Thumb Phew!

...that was a lengthy read.

Like many, I am seeking the best protection gear possible, which, hopefully, also makes me feel 'comfortable' in terms of both usage and wearability. I must admit that I was feeling positive about Motoport gear - excluding the website which absolutely is in need of updating, and I very nearly pulled the trigger on an Airmesh Kevlar (racing style) Jacket + GP2 Mesh Pants - as these were, it seemed to me, to be the best solution for my riding needs in Hong Kong's hot/humid/rainy weather...with a litlte bit of 10-15 Degrees C cool thrown in around Xmas!

Then, I read the first Motoport thread...and gave up when it became a battel royal between certain persons. Then, I found this one, and learned about Halverssons gear - which seemed much more 'finished' to me, and it ticked many of the CE ratings boxes.

Love 'em or hate 'em, CE ratings are what drive the m'cycle safety gear industry, from what I understand as a relatively simple consumer. So, after all the inflow of information, I am now none the wiser about which gear to get, and where to spend my hard-earned banger$-and-ma$h.

On the Motoport site, the best looking gear from the dreadful images available are that viking-type road/track warrior in a red GP2 Kevlar outfit. That looked quite good, I thought...but in this heat, not ideal.

I love the finished look of the Halvarssons gear, but am having some difficulty in understanding the 3- or 4-jacket system? I must be getting doddery.

So, what to do? For now, nothing, except hurry up and wait. I have quality, tested (mostly) gear that works (for me): Hood Kevlar Jeans + Knox Armour (hips/knees); Belstaff 1500 Denier Cordura Jacket + CE Armour Inserts; Knox Back Protecter; good gloves / boots / lid...but I still manage to lose weight (water, mostly) due to the heat and that produced by wearing such 'heavy duty' protective gear. As an antidote to the Belstaff 'heavy', I got hold of a racing style (Jo Rocket) type nylon jacket with elbow/shoulder pad inserts: I loved the style, the reduction in heat, but not the awareness of the 'melt-on-your-skin' factor (courtesy of this and the other thread)...also, I tried another route - a leather racing style jacket with large vent areas which can be removed with mesh underneath (Jo Rocket Blaster 3.0 - from New Enough...it was the price that drove me, mostly)...anyway, that's it.

One good thing has come from ploughing my way through this and the other thread(s), is that I would sooner lose some weight than ever wear my lovely JR Kawasaki Racing Team Nylon jacket - even though I like it very much: I 'm obviously getting very doddery.

That said, thank you to each and every contributor - all those differing POVs really helped unearth the important stuff we need to know about what gear works best and why, to help us as pro-active consumers who take a deep and abiding interest in our own, and others' safety.

Also, a big thank you must go to the brave vendor(s) who are prepared to come to the coalface and meet their customers - sometimes, head-on, which can sometimes lead to what might be described as a minor altercation!

Thank you, one and all.

Topbox Tours

CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #143
VFR Titus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard146
...that was a lengthy read.

Like many, I am seeking the best protection gear possible, which, hopefully, also makes me feel 'comfortable' in terms of both usage and wearability. I must admit that I was feeling positive about Motoport gear - excluding the website which absolutely is in need of updating, and I very nearly pulled the trigger on an Airmesh Kevlar (racing style) Jacket + GP2 Mesh Pants - as these were, it seemed to me, to be the best solution for my riding needs in Hong Kong's hot/humid/rainy weather...with a litlte bit of 10-15 Degrees C cool thrown in around Xmas!

Then, I read the first Motoport thread...and gave up when it became a battel royal between certain persons. Then, I found this one, and learned about Halverssons gear - which seemed much more 'finished' to me, and it ticked many of the CE ratings boxes.

Love 'em or hate 'em, CE ratings are what drive the m'cycle safety gear industry, from what I understand as a relatively simple consumer. So, after all the inflow of information, I am now none the wiser about which gear to get, and where to spend my hard-earned banger$-and-ma$h.

On the Motoport site, the best looking gear from the dreadful images available are that viking-type road/track warrior in a red GP2 Kevlar outfit. That looked quite good, I thought...but in this heat, not ideal.

I love the finished look of the Halvarssons gear, but am having some difficulty in understanding the 3- or 4-jacket system? I must be getting doddery.

So, what to do? For now, nothing, except hurry up and wait. I have quality, tested (mostly) gear that works (for me): Hood Kevlar Jeans + Knox Armour (hips/knees); Belstaff 1500 Denier Cordura Jacket + CE Armour Inserts; Knox Back Protecter; good gloves / boots / lid...but I still manage to lose weight (water, mostly) due to the heat and that produced by wearing such 'heavy duty' protective gear. As an antidote to the Belstaff 'heavy', I got hold of a racing style (Jo Rocket) type nylon jacket with elbow/shoulder pad inserts: I loved the style, the reduction in heat, but not the awareness of the 'melt-on-your-skin' factor (courtesy of this and the other thread)...also, I tried another route - a leather racing style jacket with large vent areas which can be removed with mesh underneath (Jo Rocket Blaster 3.0 - from New Enough...it was the price that drove me, mostly)...anyway, that's it.

One good thing has come from ploughing my way through this and the other thread(s), is that I would sooner lose some weight than ever wear my lovely JR Kawasaki Racing Team Nylon jacket - even though I like it very much: I 'm obviously getting very doddery.

That said, thank you to each and every contributor - all those differing POVs really helped unearth the important stuff we need to know about what gear works best and why, to help us as pro-active consumers who take a deep and abiding interest in our own, and others' safety.

Also, a big thank you must go to the brave vendor(s) who are prepared to come to the coalface and meet their customers - sometimes, head-on, which can sometimes lead to what might be described as a minor altercation!

Thank you, one and all.
Hey Greybeard, I highly recommend the BMW Venting Machine here in HK for our humidity. It's got an integrated back protector and even if I wear a Forcefield harness with chest proector underneth, it's still breathable enough!
'08 VFR 800 - Nuts roaster in HK
Cagers diet for vanity. Riders diet for better power to weight ratio
VFR Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #144
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,251
Just another datapoint.

About a decade ago I rode wearing the Cordura version of the MP pants which are similar to some of the MP pants today. I even crashed in them at speed (at 80+ MPH I was separated from the bike - a significant crash) and they did hold up. I still have them so I can take pics, but I retired them. They did not have the optional hip pads so I had serious bruising on the hips, some abrasion but the pants did not tear or wear through.

My dislikes about those pants and some of the current MP gear. Like others, I found them overly bulky and heavy. I don't care about fashion that much though it would be nice if gear didn't make my butt look so big, I will take protection over fashion any day. But I do care about comfort. I bought a used pair of 'Stich Roadcrafter pants (which have their own foibles), which are very protective, but more importantly the armor and pants are comfortable enough to always wear (except when riding off-road). The problem with the MP pants is the armor is so uncomfortable that my legs below my knees would go numb from the armor pressing against my knee. From the first minute I felt the knee armor was too stiff and uncomfortable.

I am satisfied with the 'Stich pants (although I hate the bib adapter and the crotch design sucks) so I am not inclined to buy MP pants again. I do want one of the MP kevlar jackets because I find my Darien just too hot for most of my riding and the kevlar breathes. I am not going to buy one of the MP jackets with a bajillion pockets - I don't need or want those pockets or all the gear in them. I'll pack the gear elsewhere (all I want is my wallet, keys and ear plugs in my jacket - maybe a cell phone). I will probably get one of the lighter slimmer sportier kevlar jackets with minimal pockets and bulk. I am hoping that I can tolerate the jacket armor better than the knee armor - but that has kept me from buying without trying one on.

Which brings me to my next point. I am not surprised by some of the comments regarding Wayne's attitude. I have no doubt he runs an honest business and sells a quality product for a reasonable price (given what it is) unlike a lot of other motorcycle apparel manufacturers with their 'titanium mesh' crap, but I have more than once heard someone remark about MP attitude when a customer suggested an improvement or change to the MP product, especially when it came to the armor. I experienced that in a phone/email conversation myself when I asked if I could get the MP products fitted with non-MP armor because of the comfort issue. There was 'sudden silence' on their end of the conversation.

The MP armor may or may not be better than the alternatives. I am maybe not qualified to say. But I can say one thing for sure and with authority; if armor (or any riding apparel) is uncomfortable enough to be noticeable, or in my case painful, people will be tempted to ride without it and in that case it won't matter whether it is more protective or not because if you don't wear it...

When I pay a premium price for a supposedly premium product, I want to be able to wear it, not leave it hanging in the closet because it is too heavy, bulky and uncomfortable. YMMV.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #145
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
I have a Motoport kevlar mesh jacket and pants. The pants have quad armor which makes the tri armor in the jacket seem a bit inadequate, even though it's a drastic improvement over the First Gear mesh jacket I had previously. I'm sending the jacket back in a couple of weeks to be upgraded to quad armor so it matches the pants.

I really don't get the discomfort thing. Because of Motoport's custom sizing policy the gear fits great and all the pads sit in just the right spots for comfort and protection. Sure the gear is a little stiff when it's brand new, but it breaks in quickly to a form fit.

Do the pant's make my ass look big? The only thing that truly makes your ass look big is having a big ass! Don't blame the pants! (Feel free to pass that pearl of wisdom on to your significant other.) Sure, the 3/4 zipper and elastic panel looks idiotic without the jacket zipped to them. Who gives a fuck? SCUBA gear looks idiotic at a buffet, but that's no reason not to wear it when the situation calls for it. As far as weight and bulk; sure, it's much more than wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but it affords commensurately better protection.

On the bike (granted upright bikes: 990Adv & SM610), in the dirt or on the street, the stuff just disappears, and I always ride with a Leatt, Pod knee braces, and MX boots. If I need to ride somewhere and need to loose the gear I use a cable to lock it to the bike.

Since I went Motoport all my other gear seemed wholly inadequate and has been passed on to riding buddies or Goodwill.
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #146
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Great post! By the way, there's an article in this month's Motorcycle Consumer News about the mesh jacket.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #147
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
+1 for Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar, The fitting experience was flawless. The material ,equally so.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #148
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
I...can't...believe...I...read...ten...pages...of. ..this...
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #149
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
I...can't...believe...I...read...ten...pages...of. ..this...
Went for a nice long ride with my motoport today. I actually had to put in the liners today. The outfit flows too much air that I got cold!. I could never say that about my Tourmaster jacket and pants.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #150
MorganB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm happy with my kevlar jeans and riva jacket, for the most part. My only complaint is that the jacket is cut a bit too large, but that's mainly because Wayne asked me if I wanted some extra room for layering and I said yes. I'm sending it back next winter to have the mid-section "tightened", provided I don't gain any more weight by then.

The Quad armor is a lot bulkier than the tri-armor, btw. If I could hit the rewind button, I would definitely sacrifice some protection for the more comfortable tri-armor.
MorganB is offline   Reply With Quote