Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #151
honda_silver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob
Went for a nice long ride with my motoport today. I actually had to put in the liners today. The outfit flows too much air that I got cold!. I could never say that about my Tourmaster jacket and pants.
I went for nice 6.5 hour ride ... the temperature was low 50s for majority of time and ended in low 60s ... I rode with my jeans, Under Armor summer, both liners and Motoport Air Mesh.
honda_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #152
poonbean
gottago

Oddometer: 44
I have the motorport air mesh jacket and stretch jean pants. Love em and sold my bmw and vanson gear. Now, I would like to get looser fitting pants for long dual sport rides - Wayne recommends the air mesh overpant with the quad armor - but large baggy but and high wasted pants are my thing - I like the jean cut. My gear is a tad older and all tri. So now, I'm thinking a gotta go quad - marathon jacket perhaps?

Anyways, the question for you motorport guys that have "upgraded" from tri to quad - are you glad you did?

Does anyone use the rather snug fitting (on me anyways) stretch jean pant for offroading and like it?
poonbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #153
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by poonbean
Anyways, the question for you motorport guys that have "upgraded" from tri to quad - are you glad you did?
I got the airmesh overpants with quad armor a couple of years after I got my tri armor jacket. I liked the quad armor in the pants so well my jacket is currently back at motoport having the armor upgraded.
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #154
poonbean
gottago

Thx - I considered that, but Wayne says the quad is about 1/4 inch thicker than the tri, so changing out the front and back decreases interior volume by 1/2 inch - which would basically eliminate layering options. So, it would have to be a new jacket for me.

Are you using this gear for offroad riding ? Loose pants would be nice (like my Klims) but I don't see how the air mesh overpant armor would work reliably because it's not tight against the body...
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #155
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Rode in 95F weather yesterday in my air mesh. Under it I had shorts and a T-shirt on. It was flat out amazing how much air this gear flows. I didnt sweat a bit or get uncomfortable. Also, since my gear is black, It didnt get scorching hot like a black leather jacket or pants would. It just got warm, slightly warm. It was very surprising to me.
This material is really very amazing!
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #156
RLCanon
Adventure Arrrrr!

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Thx - I considered that, but Wayne says the quad is about 1/4 inch thicker than the tri, so changing out the front and back decreases interior volume by 1/2 inch - which would basically eliminate layering options. So, it would have to be a new jacket for me.
I was a little disappointed when I first got my jacket because it was a bit loose. I wear it with the sleeve adjusters snugged up and I added a couple of adjusters in the sides to snug up the body. In retrospect the roomy sizing was fortunate in that I should be good with the thicker armor.

Quote:
Are you using this gear for offroad riding ? Loose pants would be nice (like my Klims) but I don't see how the air mesh overpant armor would work reliably because it's not tight against the body...
I dual-sport in it on a KTM990 and a Husky610, and it works well for both. I wear Pod knee braces with a patch of Velcro added to secure them to my Sidis. Then I snug the cuffs of the pants against the boots. Everything stays in place very well. I've had a variety of dirt get-offs ranging from slow drops to low sides to all out yard sales and everything stays where it should. To refer back to the original poster's comments, I agree that the hip armor is pretty skimpy, especially compared to the rest of the armor. My hips are the only place I've ever bruised while wearing the motoport gear so now I wear padded shorts.

And it does vent like nothing else I've ever tried, which is crucial in Austin!
What can I say? Life has been everything to me. Was it good or bad? It was just life, everything was in it. I suppose my advice for the living might just be: Live! And when it is time to die, die! - Ozymandias

We're all contributing factors to our own demise... - Lovin' it Strom
RLCanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #157
poonbean
gottago

Thanks for the feedback. I have gone ahead and ordered a Marathon jacket and Air Mesh pants (the overpant style) - both with the quad armor and a couple of custon features... Should have it in about a week or so.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #158
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
For all of you using mesh, be sure to stay hydrated. Since you are turning your body into a big evaporative cooler you've got to be sure you've got fluid to evaporate.
Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #159
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I have gone ahead and ordered a Marathon jacket and Air Mesh pants (the overpant style) - both with the quad armor and a couple of custon features... Should have it in about a week or so.
A little more feedback for you: I hated the quad armor. I am 6', 165-170 lbs,and found the quad armor uncomfortable in my new stretch kev. marathon jacket & pants. I kept wearing them but felt like the michelin man in them. I posted them for sale in the flea mkt.,but didn't sell. I then as a last resort cut off & removed the quad armor from the tri armor,and sooo much better. I love the idea of the added protection,but hated the feel of it. I actually bought the BMW rallye pro II (older style) before I changed the armor,and now have 2 sets of gear,but I'd sell the motoport in a heart beat if I could only keep one. Can't beat the comfort/fit of the BMW gear,and I really like the armor.But with that said,I'm waiting for a mesh jacket from them so I can handle the hot muggy summer weather here.Damned if you do ,damned if you don't.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #160
Howie333
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Well; Just recieved my Kevlar Mesh Pants today, and Yes; I am Impressed! I originally ordered the Olympia Airglide Pants, and felt as though they'de not last too long, and thre padding wouldn't stay in place. The Motoport Kevlar Mesh pant is a quality serious piece of riding equipment. IMO; They're not bulky or heavy, and will be a keeper. I ordered the rear zipper to accomadate there Kevlar sport jacket later in time. The thigh and but area may be too loose and baggy when standing, but that might be cause of my sport seating position. I'm not sure if it should be that baggy. They're made to fit over pants ,and thin liner I already use, but other pant sections do fit snugger. The knee,shin and thigh position is good, but the thigh padding is loose cause of that area's bagginess. Is this the norrm for these pants ? I'm thinking of sending Wayne a short video showing me in the pants, with and questions, and/or complaints, and as for a response.

Howie...
Howie333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #161
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
When i got got my air mesh pants. They were stiff, the armor was as flat as a pancake. The knee armor was too low and the butt area was too baggy. That was until I actually sat on the bike. Then EVERYTHING fit perfectly. The knee armor was in perfect postion and the butt area was no longer baggy. Now aftger a month of riding in the gear. The armor is now perfectly contoured to the curves of my body. Also the mesh is much more flexible and broken in. I get asked about the gear all of the time. Bikers ask what it costs and non bikers ask if im a fire fighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie333
Well; Just recieved my Kevlar Mesh Pants today, and Yes; I am Impressed! I originally ordered the Olympia Airglide Pants, and felt as though they'de not last too long, and thre padding wouldn't stay in place. The Motoport Kevlar Mesh pant is a quality serious piece of riding equipment. IMO; They're not bulky or heavy, and will be a keeper. I ordered the rear zipper to accomadate there Kevlar sport jacket later in time. The thigh and but area may be too loose and baggy when standing, but that might be cause of my sport seating position. I'm not sure if it should be that baggy. They're made to fit over pants ,and thin liner I already use, but other pant sections do fit snugger. The knee,shin and thigh position is good, but the thigh padding is loose cause of that area's bagginess. Is this the norrm for these pants ? I'm thinking of sending Wayne a short video showing me in the pants, with and questions, and/or complaints, and as for a response.

Howie...
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #162
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,386
I've been trying to get ahold of MP but nobody returns my calls or emails. I live in Cali so would like to get fitted for a pair of air mesh pants but am unsure whether to get the jean or overpant. This probably won't be everyday wear for me but for longer dedicated jaunts I want something to wear that both fits well on the bike and when I'm walking around taking pictures etc. For those who have the pants which do you prefer, the jean or the overpant? I'd be getting the liner too for cold weather days, if that makes a difference. Also does anyone know their store hours? Would I need an appointment for a fitting or can I just show up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...

GypsyWriter screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 09:56 AM
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #163
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
I just had Wayne build me a suit to fit, becuase I was concerned about the Darien Armour and how it flops around and falls out of place. I had crashed in a Roadcrafter with good results but they leak and I live in Vancouver and I replaced it with the Darien which is great for touring but not as protective for crashing in - especially in the largest sizes where the armour speads out

I have BMW Street gurad suit and it fits me OK but the motoport suit seems far better fit wise for both my bikes that have a sit up and beg riding position (KTM 990 and BMW K 1200GT)

I first saw Wayne`s gear (the summer kevlar on a rider who crashed at a good clip on the haul road on his FJR and went for a bounce roll and slide).I was sold at that point. I am tall 6`4`with 38.5 inch arms so I had to pay a size premium and I am very pleased with the outfit I bought

I found the fitting to be complicated and my wife who sews was on the phone with Wayne measuring me for an hour. The fit was perfect right out of the box and I told Wayne how I dress under my gear and he made allowances for that.

His gear is not cheap but I feel it is worth the cost, time and effort. I live in BC but had I had the time I would have ridden in for a custom fitting.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #164
poonbean
gottago

My Marathon and Air Mesh Pant arrived the other day, and the clothing is much more comfortable than my cycleport airmesh jacket and jeans - which are both rather snug. The Marathon and Air Mesh pant are designed to be looser and more comfy. They are. The jacket, unfortunately, was built with pockets that I did not ask for, so I'm shipping it back to be rebuilt and to have the waist taken in 2 inches or so (no charge) - the waist was built about the same diameter as my chest, but my waist is smaller than that. I'm also going to get the velcro suspenders added to the pant - then I'm ready to go!

I will have air mesh jacket and jeans up for sale.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #165
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
The Marathon and Air Mesh pant are designed to be looser and more comfy.
I prefer the jeans style, and they will make them any size you want. Just send them a current pair of pants and they will copy them. If you want looser jeans, send them a pair of looser jeans.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote