Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #76
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
However, for those that have problems or are not happy, customer service is quite poor and, although I'm guessing here, believe that Wayne becomes personally insulted that someone doesn't like his product and forgets his obligations regarding refunds, exchanges and guarantees.
I was planning to watch this from the sidelines, but now I need to say something. Last year I ordered about $2,000 of custom Motoport gear for myself and my wife. We weren't happy. It was bulky and just like d2mini, my wife wouldn't wear hers because it looked horrible on her. Even though Wayne is under no obligation to take back custom clothing, he took it all back.

We then ordered RIVA AX jackets and jeans in stretch kevlar from Wayne. They look and feel fantastic. I have yet to see anything that I would consider to be safer.

So, yes, Wayne does care about customer service after the sale. As for the clothing, the Ultra II suit looks like a potato sack with far too many pockets. (Sorry, Ultra II fans.) The RIVA AX is awesome.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #77
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
I was planning to watch this from the sidelines, but now I need to say something. Last year I ordered about $2,000 of custom Motoport gear for myself and my wife. We weren't happy. It was bulky and just like d2mini, my wife wouldn't wear hers because it looked horrible on her. Even though Wayne is under no obligation to take back custom clothing, he took it all back.

We then ordered RIVA AX jackets and jeans in stretch kevlar from Wayne. They look and feel fantastic. I have yet to see anything that I would consider to be safer.

So, yes, Wayne does care about customer service after the sale. As for the clothing, the Ultra II suit looks like a potato sack with far too many pockets. (Sorry, Ultra II fans.) The RIVA AX is awesome.
What I was referring to was customers that return their gear for a full refund without any intention of purchasing other gear from Motoport, which is what you did.

Although it is good to see he took back custom made gear. Can't imagine anyone else would do the same.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #78
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I read this thread through just now, and went back to check some posts. From what I read, mdloops bought some motoport mesh kevlar overpants. He found them unsuitable for riding his Yamaha. He shared this with the forum.

He went on to criticize some design details of the cut and armor of these pants.

He (maybe, never said), sent the pants back.

He said motoport declined to give him a full refund. He has a credit card dispute pending with motoport.

He declined further comment when asked for details, such as the condition of the pants.

He implied motoport threatened him with legal action for his comments on this forum.

He has decided not to post to this thread again, but perhaps is still lurking.

This is what I got from reading this thread.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #79
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone
I'll say this much: Wayne definitely seems to have a real problem with taking criticism, even constructive criticism. On some of the now-banned threads, this forum lost a lot of good information on general safety standards with regards to gear in large part because Wayne couldn't maintain his professionalism and ended up getting into a pissing match with License2Ill.

Having witnessed some of these outbursts and read rumours of how Wayne's businesses have failed in the past in large part due to his own personal conflicts, as a consumer I am pretty wary of doing business with Motoport. I have no doubt that their gear is some of the safest, toughest gear around - but that seems to be only the beginning of the 'issues' in too many cases.
You might be amazed at some of the things l2illwill said. He went waaaaay beyond any line of civil behavior. I found some of l2ill's postings on other forums, and I do not find him credible. He has denied any qualifications when asked about them. He attacked Wayne - period.

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #80
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
I just checked and I think the post was nuked by the Admins for him posting outside the vendor area.
Key phrase "I think." When the mod's that made the decision post, we'll know for sure.

I posted in that thread. some of li2ill's posting were definitely actionable - as in lawsuit.

all the best,

Mike

eaglemike screwed with this post 04-01-2007 at 05:45 PM
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #81
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
license2ill

I remember that thread. The funniest thing, I thought, was when ill brought his cyberbuddy, Paul Varnsvery, into the discussion and it turned out Paul and Wayne had met in europe years ago, and got along just fine.

I also remember that Wayne said he was flatout not interested in CE certification.

And yes, I remember many very mean things were said.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #82
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
Key phrase "I think." When the mod's that made the decision post, we'll know for sure.

I posted in that thread. some of li2ill's posting were definitely actionable - as in lawsuit.

all the best,

Mike
You can see Wayne's post quoted in other areas of the thread but no actual posts by him. I'm thinking the mods deleted them.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:46 PM   #83
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88
Mdloops what gear were you wearing when you got that rash? What was the situation?

Lowside at between 30-35MPH.

Bike was insured for more than I paid, so I bought a new bike.
These are the only images appropriate for posting. All pics were taken after 4 days of healing an after scrubbing the road grime out of the wounds.

1) I do not even need to infer from the text that the armor did not stay in place because he said "has me thinking that the knee armor didn't cover my knee and I slammed the knee down on the pavement." Also he said he wants motoport to improve the positioning of the armor so it would do its job better, that is all I was commenting on.

2) I have seen the results when zippers and seams fail from personal experience.

3) I know what road rash feels like. I know what poor gear feels like in a crash, and I have a pretty good idea of how well something will protect me in a crash. My 2003 Honda VFR was totalled as a result of this crash.

Any more skepticism about my experience?

I will repeat, I think I have been pretty fair here. I realize I am the odd guy out because motoport is highly regarded on here, but be careful what bluffs you try calling. I am not quesitoning anybody elses qualifications or motives here, please don't question mine.

Experience with material that "abrades through"

As compared to...........................

TwoWheelsGood
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG]image.php?u=14807&dateline=1165250450[/IMG]

Hey guys,

Sorry, I haven't checked the thread. On Thursday I crashed at about 50mph, sliding on my left side with my left leg under a VStrom 1k. On Saturday I rode a bicycle for 60 miles in the mountains and on Sunday I rode my TE450 all day in the desert. I have a LOT of road rash experience of the 20-35mph lycra kind. I'm the guy in front of you at Starbucks who your kid points at says "Daddy, why does that man's legs look like mommy's but with all of those scars on them ." I am intimately familiar with what could have been and I'm sure I'd be typing this between bandage changes, painful scrubbings, etc. I think the gear did it's job.

Having looked at the gear and my one injury, I think what happened was:

Bike was leaned a bit to the left when I grabbed too much front brake. I went down hard on left knee, elbow and shoulder. My ankle then twisted in under the bike and the bike and I become one, with my left knee pinned under the bike but it was held up a bit (full weight not on the knee) by the bars, topcase, who knows. I think the bruise/abrasion on the knee cap was caused by that initial slam to the pavement. I have some bruising on the inside of my knee but no pain. Seriously, it's nothing. We all had worse as kids playing football on the pavement.

I didn't take pictures of the jacket but probably should have. Oh well. It was pretty torn up but I don't have a single scratch, bruise, nothing. I was a little sore the next day but nothing unexpected. I've sent the kit back to motoport for repair (insurance pays the tab). I've asked them to:
  1. Move the knee pads up 1.5-2 inches. If I were going to dualsport in these pants I'd take the knee pads out and use hard knee guards or braces instead.
  2. Reposition the hip pads, giving up the zipper access to undergarments.
  3. See if they can make the leg bottoms wider to accomodate motocross boots. I wear Sidi Crossfires in the dirt. I haven't taken these pants dualsporting but no way I'm going offroad in anything other then my Sidi's
For me, the major selling point of the gear is it is so damn comfortable. There is simply no reason to not wear the gear at almost any temperature.

Well, That about sums it up.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #84
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

[IMG]images/statusiconCrash/post_old.gif[/IMG] 03-18-2007, 10:13 AM #11
mdloops
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJveetwin
My FRJ may not be as aggressive a seating position as your R6, but for sure it’s a non issue for me.

Lol, that is surely an understatement :)

Any more skepticism about my experience?

I will repeat, I think I have been pretty fair here. I realize I am the odd guy out because motoport is highly regarded on here, but be careful what bluffs you try calling. I am not quesitoning anybody elses qualifications or motives here, please don't question mine.

Hmmm..........
mdloops seems to be Glad to cast stones, but as usual with stone casters, he doesn't seem to be glad about being cast upon.

And, no, I wouldn't have any opinion about your experience, other than you appear to not learn from it. It seems from your posts that you value how your rear "looks", more than avoiding road rash.

You are right, Motoport ain't for just anyone. I think you need another pair of JOE ROCKET pants. I mean, they made your BUTT look good, right?
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #85
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Eh since people are wondering if it works or not I will post a few examples of it working. Please do post if you find somebody who has had it fail and what the circumstances were.

Quote:
Last night I hit the contents of a bag of cement (fell of the back of a
truck I guess) on the I-270 S to Montrose Rd. East cloverleaf and lowsided.
I slid approximately 150 feet. Half the asphalt was smooth, half was a bit
rough (more porous). I slid through the shoulder where all the nasty
rocks/glass/rustycans collect, about halfway through the slide.

Here's the gear report:

I was wearing an Arai Q/f, Held 2080 gloves, Motorport GP2 suit (2 piece
with full circumference zip), Wind boots (the 'cheapest' item I was wearing
- at least my $$$$$ Daytona's were sitting at home... :P). The suit has
several tears and holes where the armor and street made a kevlar sandwich.
The left elbow has a 1" in the first layer of fabric. The right forearm and
front right leg (from the lower thigh down) looks like a shoe a dog chewed
on. The first layer is torn/worn in these areas. From what I recall (the
suit is at home right now), there is no damage to any of the armor, nor is
there any penetration through all layers of the suit. The suit did an
outstanding job of abrasion protection. This suit is a blend of 1000 denier
cordura and Keprotec (kevlar fabric made by Schoeller). It's 100% breathable
(the air passes right through it). Supposedly the coolest suit on the
market.

The armor in the suit clearly protected me from bruises, etc. The initial
impact with the asphalt (my right shoulder) was from about 12" up or so (I
was leaned over). About half way through I went from head first on the right
side to feet first on the left with a 180 deg. spin. From the looks of
things I slid though a pretty nasty pothole (about 2" deep) at the 90%
complete mark. The last time I went bowling I was more sore than I am now.

My right glove was pinned underneath me initially. My right hand hit right
after my right leg, and since I slid face down forward, my right arm was
basically down the front of my body (sort of like I was checking the jewels
;) ). The carbon fiber on the knuckles was ground through the hard plastic
into the fibers. There's a small pinhole through the first layer of leather
of one of the fingers (looking with the palm down). Other than the CF
damage, the gloves held up well - just a bit scratched up elsewhere.

The outside of the right boot is all scuffed up. The ankle strap is a bit
torn, but held up. I was not wearing my daytona roadstar GTXs.

The bike is bad. It hit the curb of the median tank first. There's a lot
of busted up parts (including a split tank)...

I have a dime sized bit of 'lining burn' on my left elbow - that's it.

Motoport is good shit...
Paul Hutchins

source: http://will.mylanders.com/mc/notes/read.pl?file=348
Thu, 19 Sep 2002
Quote:
Check out the Ultra II Jacket review on gear review http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/...php?prodID=684 Still complaints about customer service, but no jacket failure.
Quote:
Nick gives a great review on the Bay area rider forums http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=165827
Quote:
Another review mainly with pictures
http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/viewto...091892fd68dc27
Motoport is about function (like alot of our bikes) not style. If comfort and style are your primary considerations look elsewhere as this is a nitch product.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #86
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Quote:
I sent Wayne an email inquiring about the plusses and minuses of CE certification and asking if he thought his gear would pass. I was seriously looking at the Trek 1-piece at the time. Rather than answer my email directly, he chose to air it here. He proceeded to imply that I was a dolt (debatable) for wanting gear that met the CE standards.

One of the "deleted" Motoport threads had Wayne threatening legal action against a poster.

His gear may be great, but I get the feeling that if I bought it I would not enjoy the support that he provides the "happy" customers.
Was this before or after the infamous License2ill thread where you were cheerleading license2ill as he crossed waaayyyy over the line? If you have written off motoport as a potential vendor, and you have never owned anything from motoport, what exactly do you have to add to this conversation other than casting aspersions. Well, nothing I guess, since that's what you did, again, in this thread.

I said it in that thread to his "face" and I will say it now, IMHO, License2Bill is a prick.

Bottom line? If you want CE armor, don't buy from motoport. If you value how your BUTT LOOKS more than trying to keep safer, don't buy mesh kevlar gear from motoport. If you buy from motoport, buy the gear for the correct application. If you buy it and don't like it, have a brain and follow the rules and you can get your money back, unless you asked them to hack up some material so that it would make your ass look good. If you don't have a pair of pants you can spare to send for really good fitting, buy some joe rocket, like mdloops. All of this is well documented all over the internet, if one would try google

I own the mesh kevlar with liners and I happen to like it. I hope it minimizes damage to my self, if I fall. It ain't particularly pretty, although it is kinda cool looking in a frumpy sort of way. There are some things I don't like about it and will try to order differently if I ever have occasion to order another set of gear. It still offers better protection than any other thing I have ever worn or tried on. I can live with it's minor issues. I don't care how my BUTT LOOKS, as long as it doesn't have road rash on it.

I am not trying to convince anyone to drink my koolaid. I don't care what others wear or ride. Whatever you wear or ride, please be safe.

However, whether it's motoport, Home Depot, McDonalds or whatever, if you are going to criticize a product in public, with which a LOT of people are satisfied, just because it doesn't happen to work for you, you can expect to be held to a pretty high standard of explanation. Just saying that "now I am not attacking " a company doesnt raise you above the fray you created while stating that the product needs to be engineered differently, to fit your needs, in the face of plenty of folks that are satisfied. I can't read
mdloops' mind, but it looked like the post was to try to pressure wayne. That would be the vinegar part of the old adage, "you can catch more flys with honey than vinegar".

As you can see, I ain't fly fishin with honey in this post.

And if you don't like KLR's, you can screw off for that too. I suggest you buy something else instead of criticizing my ride.

Whew, I've been wanting to say that for a long time.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #87
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme
Was this before or after the infamous License2ill thread where you were cheerleading license2ill as he crossed waaayyyy over the line?
If you filtered out the noise, L2I, made some good points. Points that were never really directly answered by Wayne. I agree he crossed the line but Wayne wasn't exactly a Saint in the whole exchange.

Quote:
If you have written off motoport as a potential vendor, and you have never owned anything from motoport, what exactly do you have to add to this conversation other than casting aspersions. Well, nothing I guess, since that's what you did, again, in this thread.
Since the topic of Waynes customer service came up, I thought I'd share my experience with him. I figured I'd ask him the questions that concerned me directly in an email rather than fueling the fire on the forum. Rather than simply reply with answers, he chose to post in the forum and basically call me an idiot for wanting CE gear. Then he proceeded to slam the Halvarsson's gear, which later he admitted to only having seen pictures of. When called out on his criticism, he clammed up.

When you call your gear "the best gear in the world" you'd better be willing to be held to a very high standard to prove it.

Quote:
if you are going to criticize a product in public, with which a LOT of people are satisfied, just because it doesn't happen to work for you, you can expect to be held to a pretty high standard of explanation.

I agree with you 100% on this. I would say that if you are going to criticize a competitor's product you should be held to an even higher standard.

If I can still get my questions answered by Wayne, I may still purchase his product. If it works, it works. As it stands I've had a much better experience with Halvarsson's thus far and they aren't even native english speakers.

Cheers
Old 04-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #88
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Quote:
If you filtered out the noise, L2I, made some good points. Points that were never really directly answered by Wayne. I agree he crossed the line but Wayne wasn't exactly a Saint in the whole exchange.

Since the topic of Waynes customer service came up, I thought I'd share my experience with him. I figured I'd ask him the questions that concerned me directly in an email rather than fueling the fire on the forum. Rather than simply reply with answers, he chose to post in the forum and basically call me an idiot for wanting CE gear. Then he proceeded to slam the Halvarsson's gear, which later he admitted to only having seen pictures of. When called out on his criticism, he clammed up.

When you call your gear "the best gear in the world" you'd better be willing to be held to a very high standard to prove it.

I agree with you 100% on this. I would say that if you are going to criticize a competitor's product you should be held to an even higher standard.

If I can still get my questions answered by Wayne, I may still purchase his product. If it works, it works. As it stands I've had a much better experience with Halvarsson's thus far and they aren't even native english speakers.

Cheers
Well said. Good come back to my poking.

As far as waynes claims, I dont know or care how his armour compairs with ce. The bottom line is that apparently, his stuff works. As in the comparison I listed above in a previous post, the reports in Zed88's post, and all over the place. I am sure that there is another brand that works too. That doesn't diminish the apparent effectivness of motoport.

I hear you on backing up baseless claims. Maybe wayne is a little too defensive, enthusiastic and emotional. But, with so many folks giving "save your hide" type testimonials, you would think that you could find some real exceptions. At least one exception where a seam turned loose or something to disprove waynes claims. Maybe there are exceptions, I've just never seen one, yet. I just keep reading stuff about how good wayne's stuff worked in get offs. And, if someone attacked me like L2ill attacked wayne, I would have been a little gunched up too.

I mean, please, find something besides "it bunches up behind my knees", and "it makes my BUTT look bad", before you start toasting wayne for his "claims".

I wish you and everyone luck in your search. I look forward to a REAL report by an American, on the Halvarsson. I havn't seen one yet.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #89
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Quote:
I wish you and everyone luck in your search. I look forward to a REAL report by an American, on the Halvarsson. I havn't seen one yet.
There's one by a Canadian...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=halvarssons

Here's hoping he doesn't test it.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #90
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

That's close enough. Good thread. The Jacket looks good. Is it better than motoport? Is Motoport better than Halvarsson? I don't know and don't care. The point is that they are both better than most and at the top end of the scale of gear. I am sure I would be happy with Halvarsson. I just happen to own Motoport Mesh, because I had never heard of Halvarsson and I couldn't find anything I thought was better at the time.

To everyone that buys Motoport.....good on you. I can personally attest to it.

To everyone who buys Halvarsson.........good on you, I am sure it is fine.

This repeated pissin and moaning about every last detail of spec, and ce, and all that just drives me nutts.

I own a KLR and it is great. I'd love to have dr and a strom and a gs and a ktm.........I love'em all. I just happen to own a KLR and will object when someone who has never owned one, tells me how bad they are.

Same thing to me.

Good luck to all and ride safe.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold