Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #91
bone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
You might be amazed at some of the things l2illwill said. He went waaaaay beyond any line of civil behavior. I found some of l2ill's postings on other forums, and I do not find him credible. He has denied any qualifications when asked about them. He attacked Wayne - period.

Mike

This may be true, and I did see some posts of his that 'crossed the line' on this forum and elsewhere. The problem is that L2Ill is to the best of anyone's knowledge just a guy somewhere with too much spare time on his hands, while Wayne is the proprietor of a business. As such, he had a lot more to lose in engaging L2Ill in all the vitriolic posting that occurred and should never have stooped to that level.
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #92
bone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlbyme
That's close enough. Good thread. The Jacket looks good. Is it better than motoport? Is Motoport better than Halvarsson? I don't know and don't care. The point is that they are both better than most and at the top end of the scale of gear. I am sure I would be happy with Halvarsson. I just happen to own Motoport Mesh, because I had never heard of Halvarsson and I couldn't find anything I thought was better at the time.

To everyone that buys Motoport.....good on you. I can personally attest to it.

To everyone who buys Halvarsson.........good on you, I am sure it is fine.

This repeated pissin and moaning about every last detail of spec, and ce, and all that just drives me nutts.

I own a KLR and it is great. I'd love to have dr and a strom and a gs and a ktm.........I love'em all. I just happen to own a KLR and will object when someone who has never owned one, tells me how bad they are.

Same thing to me.

Good luck to all and ride safe.

Just to be absolutely clear on what the fuss was regarding CE certification, I believe it was meant to provide a common basis for evaluation amongst the different safety gears available. While I agree with your basic point that it's extremely likely that both Halvarssons' and Motoport's products deliver an extremely high degree of safety and should both be seen as viable alternatives, I find it immesaurably useful to note that Halvarsson's gear ranked as high as it did on Bike Magazine's test a few years back (the results of which are still available online). This gives a very clear picture of the strengths of their gear, while we must rely on the crash reports of completely random individuals to assess Motoport's gear.

In most businesses, the ability to accurately assess risks is a key component. Given the cost of owning any of this gear, I feel like a standard test that enables the consumer to compare different gear on an fair and even basis would provide us all with better risk assessment.

As a final point, it should be noted that a proper full leather outfit will in all likelihood provide even more safety to a rider than any of the gear under discussion right now and so to take a high-and-mighty tone regarding safety because one owns Motoport or Halvarssons or Whatever Textile Gear is not without hypocrisy.
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #93
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone
This may be true, and I did see some posts of his that 'crossed the line' on this forum and elsewhere. The problem is that L2Ill is to the best of anyone's knowledge just a guy somewhere with too much spare time on his hands, while Wayne is the proprietor of a business. As such, he had a lot more to lose in engaging L2Ill in all the vitriolic posting that occurred and should never have stooped to that level.
I guess we have differring memories of that thread. I don't recall Wayne stooping at all. My memory is that he was pretty patient.

I find it quite interesting that all the people givin Wayne grief remain anonymous. Many people here know who I am. Why do you suppose they are so afraid to reveal their real identity?

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #94
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
As a final point, it should be noted that a proper full leather outfit will in all likelihood provide even more safety to a rider than any of the gear under discussion right now and so to take a high-and-mighty tone regarding safety because one owns Motoport or Halvarssons or Whatever Textile Gear is not without hypocrisy.
I had a well-fiited, custom made, heavy leather jacket on during one of my bounce tests. Based on that experience, they (might or) might not be better than a true premium textile, such as the Kevlar Motorport, IMHO......

all the best,

Mike
I have no financial interest in Cycleport/Motorport.
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 PM   #95
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike
I guess we have differring memories of that thread. I don't recall Wayne stooping at all. My memory is that he was pretty patient.

I find it quite interesting that all the people givin Wayne grief remain anonymous. Many people here know who I am. Why do you suppose they are so afraid to reveal their real identity?

all the best,

Mike
Fair enough...

Brett Miller
Motorcycle Test Engineer
Old 04-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #96
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Just to be absolutely clear on what the fuss was regarding CE certification, I believe it was meant to provide a common basis for evaluation amongst the different safety gears available. While I agree with your basic point that it's extremely likely that both Halvarssons' and Motoport's products deliver an extremely high degree of safety and should both be seen as viable alternatives, I find it immesaurably useful to note that Halvarsson's gear ranked as high as it did on Bike Magazine's test a few years back (the results of which are still available online). This gives a very clear picture of the strengths of their gear, while we must rely on the crash reports of completely random individuals to assess Motoport's gear.

In most businesses, the ability to accurately assess risks is a key component. Given the cost of owning any of this gear, I feel like a standard test that enables the consumer to compare different gear on an fair and even basis would provide us all with better risk assessment.

Let me guess, you are an engineer of some sort too?

As such, if it can't be measured, it doesn't exist?
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 PM   #97
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Oh yeah? Lets see you wear that on a 98 degree, 90% humidity day, anywhere.

Puh-lease. Get over yourself.
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #98
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Nobody will ever offer a great back to back review of stuff because then the vast majority of people would know how their gear holds up and gravitate to a few manufactures. Plus everything fulfills a different purpose. If I'm racing I want a top grade leather suit for sliding. If I'm riding trails I want a pressure suit. If I'm in 100 degree weather with high humidity I want a Kevlar mesh.

You think its a coincidence that in 30 years there has never been a major review where they destroyed a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of gear?
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #99
PullMyFinger
underachiever

Oddometer: 5
Better late than never...

Hi all,

Why not start out a first post on a subject that, along with what type of oil to use, make up the religion and politics of motorcycle forums?

I got a Ultra II Kevlar mesh jacket and pants about a year ago. I'm bigger than most (5'11", 255 lbs) and was 20 lbs heavier when I ordered the suit. I've gotten a few jokes (Michelin man was one, though I prefer Sta-Puf) about the bulkiness of the suit.

I have a used Motoport Cordura suit that I bought before that, but after March in Florida, mesh is a necessity.

I'm glad I got the suit. That said, I'm a middle aged guy who doesn't really care much what people think about the clothes I wear. I do care that I'm as protected as I can be while riding.

That got me thinking about priorities that different groups of people have...

It seems to me that people choose a "style" of bike and riding and that, in turn, chooses the clothing for them. See if you don't agree (in broad strokes):

Harley (or, more broadly, cruiser) guys - no helmets or protective gear, other than perhaps a few designer leather pieces and perhaps a half helmet (Kaiser style)...

Sport bike guys - two types, both about college aged or a little older: Type 1) full face helmets with Icon or JR leather gear... Type 2) shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops (aka idiots)...

Dual sport guys - Flip up full face helmet, either Aerostitch or Motoport full suit (and fiercely loyal to whichever brand it is, like the old Ford-Chevy deal), good, protective boots, etc....

Well, I could go on, but we all see this from whatever perspective we come from.

From my perspective, mdloops is a sportbike guy that bought dualsport overpants and came here to tell people that the dualsport clothes weren't suited to his type of riding...(imagine that?)

Before I go, one thing does bug me about Cycleport: their web site still sucks! When I went there to look at a couple of pants that others mentioned on this thread, I had forgotten how many pictures are messed up (either not available, or a different picture than what you thought you'd get, etc.). Since that is their only storefront to the world, I'd think they'd want it looking better...

Oh, well, that's what I get for thinking...

Scott

go ahead, make my day...
PullMyFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #100
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger
From my perspective, mdloops is a sportbike guy that bought dualsport overpants and came here to tell people that the dualsport clothes weren't suited to his type of riding...(imagine that?)
I respectfully disagree with much of what you said, however I don't want to shift this off topic.

According to the Motoport website, the pants are simply overpants, not "Dual sport" overpants. Wayne really pushes the abrasion qualities of he garments, and how they don't bunch up and cause you to tumble when sliding acrossed asphault. To me that sounds like it is street gear that can be used in other situations.

YMMV

Cheers
Brett
Old 04-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #101
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88
Nobody will ever offer a great back to back review of stuff because then the vast majority of people would know how their gear holds up and gravitate to a few manufactures. Plus everything fulfills a different purpose. If I'm racing I want a top grade leather suit for sliding. If I'm riding trails I want a pressure suit. If I'm in 100 degree weather with high humidity I want a Kevlar mesh.

You think its a coincidence that in 30 years there has never been a major review where they destroyed a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of gear?
Actually.... the RIDE magazine test often referred to here is a pretty good "back to back" test (if I understand you correctly), that compared 16 "all weather suits" and in the process destroyed them. The test was divided into 3 categories including Protection, Weather and Road testing.

Protection - scientifically measured seam burst strength, material abrasion and energy absorption by the armour.
Weather - measured warmth via sensors and waterproofness via visual observations of water leakage
Road testing - a subjective test in real world conditions where the comfort and ease of use were evaluated.

Here's a link... http://www.ridetriangles.com/pdf/587/213149.pdf

Too bad the same test hasn't been completed on gear largely available in North America.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #102
zed88
n00bilicious

Oddometer: 1,297
Whoops MakinWaves, I've read and forgot abotu that report. It would be great to see a report like that with North American Gear.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #103
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
I respectfully disagree with much of what you said, however I don't want to shift this off topic.

According to the Motoport website, the pants are simply overpants, not "Dual sport" overpants. Wayne really pushes the abrasion qualities of he garments, and how they don't bunch up and cause you to tumble when sliding acrossed asphault. To me that sounds like it is street gear that can be used in other situations.

YMMV

Cheers
Brett
If it makes you feel any better motoports sport bike gear (GPII) doesn't work particularly well for sport bike riding either. I ride both sport and dual sport bikes and own a GPII suit. The material is excelent, but the legs are cut almost straight leading to bunching behind the knees, dito for the arms/elbows. The GPII is billed as a sport/track suite, one might think it would be cut to allow a person to sit on a sport bike comfortablly....

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #104
PullMyFinger
underachiever

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh

YMMV

Cheers
Brett
Hi Brett,

I quite agree with you as far as what you can use them for. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

What I was trying to say is that, generally, "birds of a feather, flock together". For instance, nothing says that Harley riders wouldn't be better off with full face helmets and a full suit, but the one that wears them is the exception, not the rule.

In other words, I have not seen one sportbiker in this town wearing either a 'stich or any Moto/Cycleport gear. They're mostly wearing Icon and Joe Rocket stuff. Maybe my town is not typical, I don't know.

It doesn't really matter what everyone else does, it's what makes you feel most comfortable that counts.

Have a good one,

Scott

go ahead, make my day...
PullMyFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #105
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
In my experience (limited overall, but fairly extensive for VA and FL), FL is the squid capital of the world, what people wear there is probably not indicitave of most places. Just an observation.

BTW I ride a sport bike and wear motoport, I frequently see sport bike riders in 'stitch as well. Lots of JR and First Gear, Gerkie etc as well. I also have JR, Olympia and first gear stuff as well. The JR gear while not quite of the best quality fits me and my bike better than anything else so far (the rest or the mass produced stuff seems cut for an overweight dude with really short arms and legs on a standard bike).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote