Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
DeSoto OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Touratech Zumo Mount

Should have looked better. I see some one else posted it already.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
GSA Addict
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
How much ?
GSA Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA Addict
How much ?
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Locking model $125
Non-locking model is only $100
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
PanzerCommander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
But the Zumo comes all the mounting hardware right ? So why bother with this one ?
PanzerCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerCommander
But the Zumo comes all the mounting hardware right ? So why bother with this one ?
I feel the same as you. Why? I have it mounted on my GS and to be honest it's very secure. If a thief wants your GPS they are going to steal it whether it's in a TT mount or just in the Garmin mount. The only thing that I want to do is get rid of the RAM wing nut and possibly use the RAM keyed version or just put a nyloc nut on instead.

Some might argue that the TT mount adds extra shock protection, but I bet Garmin has already reinforced the Zumo circuitry for motorcycle use.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerCommander
. . . So why bother with this one ?
Although the Garmin mount base is ok it has some weak spots. First I am not worried about theft. What I am concerned about is the Garmin Base releasing due to rough road (off-road) conditions. The TT Locking Unit will prevent the Garmin Base from releasing it's latch. Garmin tried to prevent this condition with the Security Screw & micro-Screw Driver. Unfortunately this is much to hard for me to work with because of my eyesight and the position I am mounting my zumo and the fact that I hate to fumble around with that little screw driver.

As for the anti-shock issues, I expect that the zumo will do just fine on a road bike but I like to go off-road and I think providing a bit more isolation for the zumo can't hurt.

So. . . That's why.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK

As for the anti-shock issues, I expect that the zumo will do just fine on a road bike but I like to go off-road and I think providing a bit more isolation for the zumo can't hurt.

So. . . That's why.
I agree that is why I purchased one as well -- I ride a 640 Adventure off road and have toasted a number of gps's with the vibration and one XM antenna. Fortunately, most have been covered by warranty but not having the unit work while on a long ride is not good.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
walrond
Earth Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado
I agree that is why I purchased one as well -- I ride a 640 Adventure off road and have toasted a number of gps's with the vibration and one XM antenna. Fortunately, most have been covered by warranty but not having the unit work while on a long ride is not good.
This is a valid opinion and if I were using mine on some serious off road I would consider the TT option too.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Has anyone got a photo of the stock Zumo mount they could post? It'd be nice to compare the two.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
rdsmith3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by richc
Has anyone got a photo of the stock Zumo mount they could post? It'd be nice to compare the two.
This is on my R1150R using a slightly longer RAM arm than the one they supply, but otherwise it is the Garmin-provided stuff.

rdsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
Creech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
So I bought one of these Touratech MvG Zumo mounts and so far I can say I'm not impressed. I bought the locking model hoping i could lessen my concern about the GPS getting swiped from semisecure places like my work parking lot.

My big problem with the touratech mount is the GPS flops around a lot when mounted. It bounces around a good 3/4 of an inch making it difficult to read on the freeway, I can't imagine what this thing will be like once offroad. It's not nearly as smooth and rigid as the touratech mount I had for my GPS V, which I was really happy with. This thing just hops and flops around everywhere.

I'm going to call Touratech and see if there's something that can be done to firm up the cups, otherwise it's going back.

Creech screwed with this post 03-29-2007 at 03:08 PM
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM   #13
tafflink
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
[QUOTE=walrond]The only thing that I want to do is get rid of the RAM wing nut and possibly use the RAM keyed version or just put a nyloc nut on instead.

QUOTE]

It does seem that the RAM wing nut is the weak link in security--just twist it open and remove the unit. Am I missing something?
tafflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
My big problem with the touratech mount is the GPS flops around a lot when mounted. It bounces around a good 3/4 of an inch making it difficult to read on the freeway,
Is it the MgV suspension which allows the movement? I have the regular locking mount on order, and don't see where there would be any movement possible.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #15
Creech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL Lemke
Is it the MgV suspension which allows the movement? I have the regular locking mount on order, and don't see where there would be any movement possible.

yeah, the regular one does no shock insulation, so it doens't bounce around at all, but it takes every shock that the bike does. I've learned to live with the movement, but ideally I'd like a bit less..
Creech is offline   Reply With Quote