Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
yeah, the regular one does no shock insulation, so it doens't bounce around at all, but it takes every shock that the bike does. I've learned to live with the movement, but ideally I'd like a bit less..

Actually, the "regular one" does have isolation dampers on it. Just not the very soft ones available on the MvG model. I have the regular one and it still has a little more movement than I like on very ruff terrain. So I added a few cable ties to the mount and it now works the way I think must of us would like.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #17
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Cycoactive is now delivering the locking Zumo mounts. Well made, though is take a bit of thought to connect it to the RAM Mount. I removed the security screw to allow a firm press of the locking closure.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by tafflink
It does seem that the RAM wing nut is the weak link in security--just twist it open and remove the unit.
Is the mount designed so that the unit just unsnaps (to take it with you)?
I am about to order a Zumo for my V-Strom, so I'd like to know.

We already have a Garmin Nuvi in one of our cars, and the "security" is that you unclip it and take it with you. Is that how the motorcycle ones are intended also?

Thanks for any info.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #19
anwhitmore
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just some thoughts

Better late than never!, but I hope this will be useful to someone looking for the Touratech Zumo mount.

I bought the mount that has the lock but just the standard rubber shock mounts. not the MgV dampeners. I Agree with Creech.. the unit bounces around far too much because the rubber mounts are not designed to work with lateral motion, They are designed to work in compression.

I fixed the problem by addng my own rubber stoppers (like the ones already present on the back plate) to the backplate, right where the bolt from the front plate stikes the back plate when the unit is bouncing around like mad.

Unfortunately, it means that the new rubber stoppers stop the rubber mounts from doing their job, but it fixed 70% of the wobble issues.

NOTE: this my experimental solution and is NOT approved by Touratech. If you choose to follow my solution, you do so at your own risk. I , myself, still don't know what the long term side effects will be... but I'll have a better idea after I complete my Africa trip.
anwhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #20
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
[quote=tafflink]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrond
The only thing that I want to do is get rid of the RAM wing nut and possibly use the RAM keyed version or just put a nyloc nut on instead.

QUOTE]

It does seem that the RAM wing nut is the weak link in security--just twist it open and remove the unit. Am I missing something?
It is unless of course you have the RAM keyed lock knob. It can be bought at cyclegadgets.com for $14 bucks. I have one and it works.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #21
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
I prefer to go through the trouble of removing it. Even if you put on a locking ram mount, I would bet someone could snap it off simple enough.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #22
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Although the Garmin mount base is ok it has some weak spots. First I am not worried about theft. What I am concerned about is the Garmin Base releasing due to rough road (off-road) conditions.
I tested the release pretty well a few weekends ago in Death Valley. I took a couple pretty violent spills, one on the left side about 15 mph that broke my clutch lever, and another about 25 mph to the right where I slammed over pretty fast cause I caught my side case on a rock. The Zumo didn't budge from the standard mount, and this is WITHOUT the locking screw (I lost it a few weeks ago - my fault, it didn't fall out). Fair amount of damage to my plastic, and the Touratech cases are pretty bashed up. I was really impressed with how the standard mount held through all this.

I can't comment on the long-term shock resistance of the unit with the standard mount, though. Time will tell.
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:42 PM   #23
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,659
I dumped my bike and the ram mount snapped in half....of course I dumped into a pick up at 47 mph.....but it did break.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #24
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMead11
I dumped my bike and the ram mount snapped in half....of course I dumped into a pick up at 47 mph.....but it did break.
Did the ball snap off? That seems to be a crappy piece of equipment. I snapped mine off doing a wheelie. Replaced it with a REAL RAM mount U bolt style and haven't had any problems since.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote