ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #1501
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
FR30/Bear Creek

Neither Red nor myself had ridden FR30 even after dozens of trips to the West End and Neah Bay. So, yesterday that's just what we did. I thought FR3040 looked more interesting on the map so that's where we started.

The road begins in the Sadie Crk ORV area and climbs the North face of Mt Muller, crossing several streams and passes snowmelt waterfalls along the way.

At about 1600 feet and six miles we were slowed by several washouts and a big slide, but got stopped by a FS road closure on 3040.

We backtracked to 112 and the few miles to the "fern garden" start of FR30.

The road snakes back and forth under the powerlines as it climbs away from the river. Here we stop to test $2 garage sale walkie talkies.

This cascade graces the hillside above a sizeable washout repair.

The South end of FR30 is an asphalt "forest highway". Near the start of the asphalt we thought to regain FR3040 via 3067 but were stopped by a snow and mud slide at about the halfway point. Here Red engineers a way through for the next ride.

Continuing down 30 we diverged onto the 3006011 "Bear Creek Connector" and rode primitive two-track that quickly deteriorated into just passible powerline access with deep mudholes, loose steep pitches and camoflauged washouts. Perfect!

After fueling the bikes and ourselves we blasted back on 112. Here's Red riding for home on the much bandaged Hwy112.

Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike

dammitdave screwed with this post 05-25-2009 at 08:39 AM
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #1502
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
nice pics looks like you had fun. Steven and the wife and I went riding up Tanuem Creek over the weekend put quite a few miles on will post some pics later . Steven of course has lots of pics
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #1503
Steven
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Tanuem Creek Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007brian
nice pics looks like you had fun. Steven and the wife and I went riding up Tanuem Creek over the weekend put quite a few miles on will post some pics later . Steven of course has lots of pics

I had a great time riding this weekend 007Brian and Melissa. I've put my pictures on my web page.

We found a great place to camp.

The weather was perfect.

007Brian found some snow to fall in!

Fun in the snow on NF 1701. We took a lower route from Taneum Creek to Clifdell for lunch and then we took a higher and shorter route back. Which meant we encountered a little snow.

It was a great weekend!
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #1504
atomicfuze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Awesome guys wish I had been with you!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #1505
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Nice Country!

Great photos as usual, Steven. That looks like a fun area with a variety of terrain and killer scenery. ?Any single track there?

Dave
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #1506
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
Looks like you had a great time, Wish I had been there.Nice pics as always...
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #1507
007brian
shaken not stirred

Dave there is tons of single track trails. We used to ride there when we had non plated bikes and could ride all day long on the endless trail system
Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #1508
shrubitup
Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitdave
Great photos as usual, Steven. That looks like a fun area with a variety of terrain and killer scenery. ?Any single track there?

Dave
Insane single track there. Go on the north side of I-90 just north of Lake Cle Elum to the Teanaway drainage. There's absolutely no way a factory dual sport could make these trails. Some even say you must have a trials bike to make them. My Reklused YZ enjoyed it just fine last fall. Goin' again this summer for a week or two once the snow melts.
shrubitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #1509
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007brian
Dave there is tons of single track trails. We used to ride there when we had non plated bikes and could ride all day long on the endless trail system
Everyone sleep well that night? Hope to see everyone soon.

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #1510
007brian
shaken not stirred

oh yea have to get up in the olympics soon. We are doing the oly loop trip in August but need to get up there and ride with you guys before that.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #1511
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven
I had a great time riding this weekend 007Brian and Melissa. I've put my pictures on my web page.

The weather was perfect.

Fun in the snow on NF 1701. We took a lower route from Taneum Creek to Clifdell for lunch and then we took a higher and shorter route back. Which meant we encountered a little snow.

It was a great weekend!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #1512
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,291
I'm gonna do the Soundrider Dualsport ride this Sunday that starts in Ellensburg at 9am. Looking for somebody who doesn't snore who wants to split the cost of a motel room Saturday night in Ellensburg. I don't snore, but I do make a whoosh-whoosh sound with my CPAP machine.

PM me if interested.
DRONE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #1513
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Sunday Ride 5/31

I'll be riding the FR30 area West of Port Angeles Sunday 5/31. Anyone wanting to go should meet at Klahowya Campground parking area at 10am. A saw, folding shovel, line and snatchblock wouldn't be out of place on this ride. (Neither would a small excavator)

Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #1514
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
I'll be riding the FR30 area West of Port Angeles Sunday 5/31. Anyone wanting to go should meet at Klahowya Campground parking area at 10am. A saw, folding shovel, line and snatchblock wouldn't be out of place on this ride. (Neither would a small excavator)

Dave
Sounds like an interesting and challenging ride. Unfortunately, I'll be at my niece's dance recital -- please feel free to make fun of me.
Tod
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #1515
pakled
A3-7 rider

Oddometer: 55
Quote:

Dave
Sounds like a fun ride. I am going to head out Saturday, work my way to Wynoochee and up the west side of the Olympics camping along the way somewhere. Meet you at the campground Sun at 10am. If anyone wants to go along, let me know.