ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #1516
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Camping at Klahowya

I'm going over to Klahowya Saturday afternoon. If there's no space there I'll go to the DNR camp across the highway then Bear Creek if that's full. I'm going to trailer over so the dog can join the fun.

Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #1517
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Ride from Klahowya 5/31

Sunday May 31st was out day to conquer FR3040 West of Lake Crescent. Pakled and Red rendezvoused with me at Klahowya Campground and we started out ride across the river at the Snider Work Camp. Here we began at the SW end of 3040 climbing up steep switchbacks to gain the ridge that forms the West end of Muller Mt. Taking a scenic detour we rode out to the Kloshe Nanitch L. O. to take in the view.

Here's Pakled at the “lighthouse” styled lookout.

The door was open so I took photos of the inside. Here's a look up the trapdoor into the cupola that's only 4 feet across.

The Olympics through a broken window.

Past the L.O. There's an antennae farm at the end of the road.

Looking SE across 101

Looking SW

Looking South toward the Hole-in-the-Wall on FR29

Returning to 3040 and continuing East we were quickly stopped by a snowfield. Hiking past the snowfield we rounded the next bend to find an even larger snowfield. We were rewarded for our efforts with only an fine view of Pillar Point on the strait.

Backtracking, we crossed 101 and took a spirited ride up FR29 as this was new country to Pakled. A half mile below the notch we were once again brought to a halt by snow and a slide. After scouting a route over the slide Pakled bravely wound up his KLR and blasted into the snowfield. No Go!

So back down the whooped, slid, potholed and just-plain-missing asphalt we went, stopping for a photo of the water tower on the way.

Our sights were now set on FR30 and 3067 as a means of getting onto 3040 again. We reached the slide that blocked us last week and hacked our way through with my new Gerber folding shovel. ($26.95 at Swain's)

Resting after our hard labor we discovered the cutbank on the far side was dotted with trilliums. Pakled tells us that the older a trillium is the darker pink it will turn. It was an all ages cluster.

A short ride brought us to the junction with the 3040rd where we turned West and were shortly frustrated by more snow only 1.4 miles from connecting the two ends of the route.

Looking wistfully westward at the unreachable.

Pillar Point even looks the same from here.

A group of snags gives a woodpecker ridgetop views of the Strait of Juan de Fuca

Returning to the junction with 3067 we find that the East half of 3040 has been decommissioned.

A happy dammitdave poses for the camera.

We rode back to the campground to drink Red's ice cold beer after earning them with a couple of deadends and a trip across the 3006011 Bear Creek Connector. Great riding, fantastic weather and something to look forward to....

dammitdave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #1518
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
Soon. Very Soon.

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #1519
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Bridge on 5th or 6th!!!

The Hood Canal Bridge opens officially on the 6th, but maybe on the 5th, but certainly not until it cycles 20 times without a hiccup. If it fouls up on the 19th try they start all over. We'll see how good the mechanical and electrical contractors are today or tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #1520
pakled
A3-7 rider

Oddometer: 55
last weekend ride

I headed out last Sat with the goal of finding a route up the west side of the Olympics meeting up with dammitdave and the doing the fs 30 network. Blasted directly across the fs 23 past Wynoochee to fs 22. Then started taking all the roads looking for a North route.

Every road seemed to end in a washout.

It make you really reflect on how much riding area we are loosing every year as new washouts, never fixed, close off miles of roads past them.

But finally even though it is washed out, a way through!

And another

Now looking down on Quinault Valley.

Rode some forest service roads north of Quinault and then headed up to the DNR land. Wandered around a while and found a camping spot.

Here another ADV inmate wandered over and started talking and invited me over. He was out breaking in his house on wheels. Perfect base camp. He and his wife fed me, quenched my thirst and offered excellent company. Most hospitable and many thanks again.

Sun morning left early up the road we where camped on and found another slide that was easily crossed.

went up several miles past and needed to turn around to make the rendezvous at Klahowya campground.

dammitdave has the day well journalled. Here is Blackboots and dammitdave crossing a slide.

Weather being so nice, I decided to head back the way I came on the West side. Headed back south for another camp. Had the place to myself.

Next day picked up some roads I'd skipped on the way up.

Then after hours of riding without seeing a soul, crossing washouts only bikes can make, and climbing a remote road to the top of a hill, I stop for this photo.
I return to the bike and turn the key. Nada, nothing, even the Vapor goes off. Check the fuses, All OK. Maybe the ignition switch. Start tearing the bike apart, seems I am only getting 8 volts to the ignition switch, Off come the tank bags, gear, storage tubes, side covers, seat, tanks. with the wiring exposed start looking for something awry. Can't find anything. I take a lets think walk and come across this in the road.

Are the gods trying to tell me something? With a feeling of trepidation I get back at it. I am tracing the wire, the blade fuse holder is attached to the wiring with a plug on the battery side. I move that and the ignition comes on. I twist and prod to see if I can get it to go off again. It doesn't. I wrap it with tape and get every thing put back together. If I get home I'll be looking at that closer. At least replace it with solder and heatshrink. After 2 or 3 hours lost in a long day, it is time to blast off the mountain and back along FS 22 and 23 towards home. All in all a fun adventure.

pakled screwed with this post 06-02-2009 at 10:33 PM
pakled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #1521
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
sounds like a awesome day in the woods the bike did start after all
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #1522
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Wonderful Washout Pics

Quote:
I return to the bike and turn the key. Nada, nothing...fuse holder is attached to the wiring with a plug on the battery side. I move that and the ignition comes on. I twist and prod to see if I can get it to go off again. It doesn't. I wrap it with tape and get every thing put back together...
If you're going out in the woods, take cash and Dan(Pakled) he will McGuyver his way out (or yours) and you can buy him a cold beer with the cash. All the planning you'll need. I like the multiday trip idea on the Peninsula. Solo is very enjoyable but 3 or 4 guys might be able to make a way around some of those washouts. Could be a good ride hiding on the other side. Thanks for the RR, Dave
Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #1523
BillC
Banned

Oddometer: 1,579
Da...bridge...is...open!

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #1524
007brian
shaken not stirred

Sweet
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #1525
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
I am going to ride the roads up off the Carbon River tomorrow,Anyone interested in going along?...Eric.
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #1526
erg59
DoesThisKTMmakeMeLookFat?

Oddometer: 320
Eh?

[IMG][/IMG]Rode over Chinook Pass yesterday. The little Naches river ORV access is still closed ,but you can get to the trails by turning onto the roads that come into 410 past Whistlin Jacks. I went up Gold Creek road and explored that area and rode alittle on trail 966.I was alone so I did not take 966 too far,they are closed of course
I like to have backup on those trails incase something happens.I was surprised I did not run into anyone else up there at all.Weather was windy and drizzling... first time uploading photo...

erg59 screwed with this post 06-07-2009 at 08:45 AM
erg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #1527
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,552
North Bend to Roslyn avoiding I-90 -- NOT!

Me and my friend Mark on a V-Strom 650 decided to try to get from North Bend to Roslyn without setting foot on I-90.

The 1st leg is from North Bend Exit 34 over Grouse Ridge Rd to Homestead Valley Rd. Grouse Ridge is now owned by a mining company and no public vehicles allowed. OK--so we got on I-90 and went up to the Fire Academy exit (exit 38) and got on Homestead Valley there.

The next step is to take a connector from Homestead Valley over to Tinkham Rd. We found the connector all right, but it ended before getting to Tinkham Rd. Not all bad, though--met three guys using the road end as a shooting range and they were well into plowing through a brick of 9mm with their new Mac-11 outfitted with a nice Eotech Halosight. OK--so we went back to Exit 38 and got back on I-90.

Got off at Tinkham Rd. exit 42. Rode Tinkham up to Exit 47 (Asahel Curtis) where we crossed over I-90 and picked up the Denny Creek Rd. Rode this road all the way to the Pass, then over the summit on the main drag (Rt. 906). Turned off on Hyak Dr. with hopes of taking FR 9070 to FR 115 over to Lost Lake. We found FR 115 alright, but it was snowed in. Another u-turn--back to Hyak (exit 54). Took a pic of Lake Kecheelus from the south shore just to prove we were there. That's I-90 in the distance.

Crossed over to the north side of I-90 here at Exit 34 and followed FR 4832 to Kachess Lake Rd. Went north on Kachess Lake Rd, then south on FR 4934 to U-Fish Rd. Took U-Fish to Hudson Creek Rd and that took us down to Sparks Rd in Easton. Now we were feeling pretty good. We'd gone from Exit 42 to Exit 70 without using I-90!

Stopped for a burger at Mountain Burgers. I had a Mt. Baker and Mark had a Mt. Adams.

Next up was to take Sparks Rd to Norton Rd then link up with some forest service roads that would get us over to FR 4303. From 4303 a blind man could get to Roslyn. Unfortunately, Norton Rd was gated-no trespassing signs everywhere-so we turned back. Talked to a local kid who said we could ride the Powerline to get to 4303. We went and looked at the Powerline, and it looked pretty decent, but we were on Adventure bikes not dual sports, so we decided not to try.

So that was our trip. For you dual sport guys, I know this sounds boring boring boring. But for a couple of noobs on adventure bikes, this was high times.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #1528
007brian
shaken not stirred

its all good
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #1529
007brian
shaken not stirred

the middle of page 2 WTF
Bump
Old 06-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #1530
DANRIDE
A Weeble

Oddometer: 598
Life's a Beach 6/13/09

After a year trapped in Michigag, we need to see the ocean . We're going for breakfast at the Spar cafe in Olympia Saturday morning. Head west from there around 9:30 via Wynoochee & FS 22, or something like that. We'll be 2 up & rusty from winter in the Midwest