ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #2926
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Street Ride Saturday

Bumping the South Sound back to the front page.

The OlyRats are riding this Saturday (like we do on the 2nd Saturday of every month). We are riding on pavement from Olympia to Bay Center (and then back). Ride may be modified if the weather is rotten but won't be canceled unless snow or ice is on the road. Meet at the West Olympia Top Foods / Starbucks at 10.
Tod
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #2927
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Saturday ride

Gootch,

What's a "Bay Center"?

I must be new around these parts!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #2928
Mullet Bullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
wish i could make it out to oly tomorrow for that ride. i really need a larger/newer bike.
Mullet Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #2929
AbuRyne
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wicked Any experience w Triumph dealer in Lakewood?

Greetings - Cherry Noob here...

Anyone able to comment on the Triumph dealer in Lakewood? I've been going back and forth between buying an F800GS and a Triumph Tiger 800XC. The Tiger's on top at the moment. Gotta get a new ride before I can start poking around the cool places you've shown me.

Thanks.

Abu
AbuRyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #2930
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuRyne View Post

Anyone able to comment on the Triumph dealer in Lakewood? I've been going back and forth between buying an F800GS and a Triumph Tiger 800XC. The Tiger's on top at the moment. Gotta get a new ride before I can start poking around the cool places you've shown me.

Thanks.

Abu
I've visited the dealership once so that would not be a good indicator. I believe they do rides out of the shop on a certain weeknight, you'll have to ask. You could start showing up and do your investigating that way. I think you're on the right track as far as the bike is concerned, I do like the triumphs. WFC
PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #2931
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
The Lakewood shop seems OK. They have completely changed staff in the past few months. Manager on down. No opinion if that's good or bad.

I've ridden Triumphs for years but now have an F800GS. For the money, I would buy the BMW. Locally, there are great used bikes for sale with lots of farkles. Used prices are incredibly reasonable right now. I think you could score a very low mileage F800GS with a bunch of Touratech stuff for less than a new Triumph. And no doubt about SSBMW being a GREAT dealer! I doubt you'll find a used Triumph yet.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #2932
AbuRyne
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuRyne View Post

Thanks.

Abu
Thanks Guys - I've visited the local Triumph dealer once and will go back a few more times... wanted to see what others might have to say. Certainly the SSBMW team has been great and patient with me. I rode their demo F800GS a couple of weeks ago - I loved it except the throttle response struck me as almost binary - on or off. I've been off a bike for about 7 years, but last rode an '81 Goldwing which obviously has a much different throttle response. In any case, I'll go poke around the "For Sale" ads and see what's out there.... that would keep the Missus a bit happier.

Thanks. Icy night here; be safe. Time to do some reading for night school now that the kids are in bed - I'll pour some single malt to make it easier!

Abu
AbuRyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #2933
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

You've ridden the F800GS at SS BMW. Triumph of Tacoma in Lakewood gives test rides so you can get a feel for the Tiger.

I hung around and occassionally rode with the original crew at T of T and liked those folks. I don't know much about the new manager & staff.

By the way, I think OlyRider is nuts (and I know him too). BMW better for the money? Even a used F800GS is steep. I don't know which bike is better but I know which more expensive.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #2934
DaveA
DirtTrail Dave

Oddometer: 34
800GS vs Tiger

Motorcycle Consumer News did a nice and thorough comparison test between the 800GS and Tiger XC in August 2011 issue. Bottom line was that they felt the bikes were very comparable, with the Tiger getting the nod for the street and the GS for the dirt.

I ride a 990 and would not trade it for either one of them, but either could be a good choice. Sometimes comes down to which "club" you want to belong to. BMW has a strong following, so lots to talk about around the campfire. Five buddies and I rode the 2800 mile Continental Divide Ride from NM to Montana last fall. Half were riding KTM and half on BMW. Lead to spirited discussions after a 300 mile day and a case of beers.

2008 KTM Adventure 990
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #2935
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Chemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Five buddies and I rode the 2800 mile Continental Divide Ride from NM to Montana last fall. Half were riding KTM and half on BMW. Lead to spirited discussions after a 300 mile day and a case of beers.
I'll bet!!! dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #2936
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
I don't know which bike is better but I know which more expensive.
I dunno bout that. My BMW was crazy spendy to fix, and I don't have first hand info; but a friend of mine (a mechanic) had to fix his tiger like CONSTANTLY...
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #2937
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Bump from page 3

I'll bump this thread back up with a couple of photos from the OlyRat ride two Saturdays ago. About eight or nine guys total showed up to drink coffee and bench race and a whole two of us arrived with motorcycles and went riding. After a pass through Cap Forest - where ice inhabited the bottom of some of the many large puddles, we headed towards McCleary. By the time we passed through town, increasing snow frightened us into heading home.

Tim and his KTM on the C-line:

Me (The Gootch) and my Thruxton:
Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #2938
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,290
Just a heads up. The NW Name That Location thread has been owned by Idaho and east Oregon guys for a while now. But I managed to elbow my way in there. So if you haven't visited the thread in a while, take a look and maybe we can get some more Olympic and wet side posts.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #2939
Gootch
Studly Adventurer

Street Ride Saturday

The wee Oly Triumph group is having its monthly second Saturday ride this upcoming Saturday. Once again, we are planning on riding a loop to and from Bay Center (the weather interfered last month; it may again if it rains hard enough). This is a semi-brisk pavement ride starting in Olympia. Meet at Dancing Goats/Batdorf and Bronson across from the Olympia Farmer's Market right at the north end of Capitol Way (111 Market Street NE). All brands and types of bikes are welcome, along with their riders.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #2940
Flat_Black_Rat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Gootch: How long of a ride is this going to be? I'd love to go for a ride, just have some stuff to do in the evening.

2005.5 KTM 950A
1978 Honda CT70
Flat_Black_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote