ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #3031
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer
 
xymotic's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Federal Way, WA
Oddometer: 8,366
anybody doin nuthin tomorrow?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Sean
Oh for ***k's sake Aaron. Please link us to my fascist, racist or homophobic posts.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein


Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #3032
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 953
Mt. Ellinor and Washington on a hot and dusty day. And no I'm not complaining.

__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #3033
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
super samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: port orchard,wash.
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
Mt. Ellinor and Washington on a hot and dusty day. And no I'm not complaining.

Climbed them both several times, traversed them several times too. Looks fun. Get a new bike?
__________________
i know my clear tank is ugly!
super samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #3034
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Climbed them both several times, traversed them several times too. Looks fun. Get a new bike?
I've never been to the top. Tried a couple of times but was stopped by snow. I saw that the Ellinore trail was closed due to "aggressive goats".

New bike? Nah, just my comfy dirt road cruiser for when actually touching the ground for me isn't really required. Great day.
__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.

LoFlow screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 01:19 AM
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #3035
Gootch
Studly Adventurer
 
Gootch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgunz83 View Post
New rider from Oly here. Picked up my DR650 about 3 months ago and got my endorsement 1 month ago. I really want to do some off pavement riding but I have zero experience. Dont really know of anywhere good to go learn and not sure how smart it would be to attempt it on my own. Anybody know of a good place to start out around Olympia? Was thinking maybe capitol forest. Unfortunately the only person I know that rides has a crotch rocket and therefore cant really do anything but go fast.
You can ride the main unpaved roads like the C-line in Cap Forest by yourself without a lot of worry. Just take a map (DNR has them) and get out of there before dark - trust me, it is easy to get lost in there at night. And take the recommended class - it really does help.
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #3036
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
super samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: port orchard,wash.
Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I've never been to the top. Tried a couple of times but was stopped by snow. I saw that the Ellinore trail was closed due to "aggressive goats".

New bike? Nah, just my comfy dirt road cruiser for when actually touching the ground for me isn't really required. Great day.
during the snow is the best time.
__________________
i know my clear tank is ugly!
super samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #3037
Steven
Studly Adventurer
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kent, WA
Oddometer: 557
I've started a ride report of the recent trip Danodemotoman and I made to British Columbia.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816974

I've put my pictures on my SmugMug page.
http://stevenrouton.smugmug.com/Brit...otorcycleTripA
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #3038
Gootch
Studly Adventurer
 
Gootch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
I've started a ride report of the recent trip Danodemotoman and I made to British Columbia.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816974

I've put my pictures on my SmugMug page.
http://stevenrouton.smugmug.com/Brit...otorcycleTripA

Looks like a heck of a good ride. So how close did you get to those bears?
Gootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #3039
Danodemotoman
Danodemotoman
 
Danodemotoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Graham WA
Oddometer: 251
We were just a few (20 min) feet away! So brave and foolish. Not!
Actually there is a elevated walled walkway along Fish Creek (with many spawning salmon easily visible and thrashing around to make gravel suitable for eggs and likely attract the male fertilizers) to do the viewing. A very serious ranger on duty, she rode herd on where people could not walk from parking into the protected area as the bears cross the road to the creek adjacent to the parking.
Much further up the Cassiair Hwy (its all paved now), at Telegraph Creek when asked about Grizzly's, the mountie said they everywhere in BC. Well, many places likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootch View Post
Looks like a heck of a good ride. So how close did you get to those bears?
__________________
Yo ho,yo ho it's a bikers life for me

Danodemotoman screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:14 PM
Danodemotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #3040
Steven
Studly Adventurer
 
Steven's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Kent, WA
Oddometer: 557
We actually say many bears along the sides of the roads, but I wasn't brave enough to stop and take a pictures on them on my motorcycle. The Fish Creek viewing area is great because it provides a safe place to view the bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danodemotoman View Post
We were just a few (20 min) feet away! So brave and foolish. Not!
Actually there is a elevated walled walkway along Fish Creek (with many spawning salmon easily visible and thrashing around to make gravel suitable for eggs and likely attract the male fertilizers) to do the viewing. A very serious ranger on duty, she rode herd on where people could not walk from parking into the protected area as the bears cross the road to the creek adjacent to the parking.
Much further up the Cassiair Hwy (its all paved now), at Telegraph Creek when asked about Grizzly's, the mountie said they everywhere in BC. Well, many places likely.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #3041
AttoirRE
Gnarly Adventurer
 
AttoirRE's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 143
Any of you guys ridden up to Surprise lake?

Went up there with a guy via 4WD truck yesterday, dying to ride it on two wheels. Pretty short, but fun, challenging (in sections) and great views.

Anyone interested in going?



AttoirRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #3042
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 953
This was a nice relief from the heat. Pakled checking out Wynoochee.



Samurai's nicely equipped XRL.

__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #3043
seth0941
NW Adventure Rider
 
seth0941's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Western WA.
Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
This was a nice relief from the heat. Pakled checking out Wynoochee.



Samurai's nicely equipped XRL.

I was up there yesterday! But sad to say I was in the jeep... had the wife and kid with me. Some dual sports rode by when we were on a side trail.
seth0941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #3044
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth0941 View Post
I was up there yesterday! But sad to say I was in the jeep... had the wife and kid with me. Some dual sports rode by when we were on a side trail.
Yeah probably one of the most photographed spots around, seems like everyone has been there at one time or another.
__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #3045
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer
 
super samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: port orchard,wash.
Oddometer: 316
Was a awsome day, ken what # road was the one with the little lake we were discussing? I wanna go back to find it!
Thanks for letting me tag along hope i was tolerable to ride with again!
__________________
i know my clear tank is ugly!
super samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014