ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #3121
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
where are all the DS rides near JBLM? Not sure I should be riding my DR350 all the way up north!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #3122
Steven
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitdave View Post
It's Spring!!! We can think about places with palms on Palm Sunday when we ride West on the low roads from Quilcene. We'll do the usual plus some higher roads to see just where the snow is. Lots of bailouts for those that need to leave early and it's big bike friendly. Noobs and funugy's welcome. Breakfast at 9am at Loggers Landing, kickstand up by 10am. Dave
Sounds like fun! I wish I could go, but I'm on my way to Texas to visit my family for a week.

I can't wait to see the skating rink part 2 pictures! Have fun.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #3123
MasterChief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
It's Spring!!! We can think about places with palms on Palm Sunday when we ride West on the low roads from Quilcene. We'll do the usual plus some higher roads to see just where the snow is. Lots of bailouts for those that need to leave early and it's big bike friendly. Noobs and funugy's welcome. Breakfast at 9am at Loggers Landing, kickstand up by 10am. Dave
Dave

I hope to join you. If I get the Husky ready and the weather's decent I'll be on the 7:15 ferry.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #3124
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post
where are all the DS rides near JBLM? Not sure I should be riding my DR350 all the way up north!
Redleger just waiting for some snow to melt, keep an eye out here we will be hitting it soon.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3125
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
I would love to join you if I can get my lazy butt out of bed early enough to get there.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #3126
Outdoor_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Riding near JBLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleger View Post

It looks like there's a lot of riding out in the training areas on post. I just need to find a map of the training area so I have a visual on which areas are open or closed. I was thinking out near Lewis Lake or the IED training lane. If anyone's interested I can post on here when I get it figured out. For now I ride down in Capitol State Forest when I want to stay close by.
Outdoor_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #3127
redleger
Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer: 570
I have been known to ride the training areas. But I usually just wing it and pray. I'll be watching the forums for some rides. Headed to ORV park in an hour. Gotta test the DRZ.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

redleger screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 09:36 PM
redleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #3128
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
See you there....

Masterchief and Outdoor Girl, We'll look for you at the Double LL! Steven, ha ha, I won't be talked into it again. Have fun in Tejas! If it's too slick to navigate above the low roads we'll head over to Howard Heights above Blyn and take in the views and show some new DS'ers that area. Dave
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #3129
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Dave, you have fun tomorrow and be safe. It will be cold and a lot of new snow.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #3130
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor_Girl View Post
It looks like there's a lot of riding out in the training areas on post. I just need to find a map of the training area so I have a visual on which areas are open or closed. I was thinking out near Lewis Lake or the IED training lane. If anyone's interested I can post on here when I get it figured out. For now I ride down in Capitol State Forest when I want to stay close by.
I was unaware they'd let you ride out on Lewis anywhere?

Im retired military and would love riding my dual sport out there if you could pass on more info, or where to find out myself.

Look fwd to hearing more...
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #3131
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Olympic Snow Levels

Yesterday MasterChief, Blackboots, Outdoor Girl and myself rode West from Quilcene to Carlsborg on the low roads. I am sad to report that Penny Creek Rd is now gated as a “Private Tree Farm” by Pope Resources just West of the junction with FR210. Two new gates, the second just East of Lord's Lake Loop Rd, have closed the route.

From Lord's Lake we ran up FR2850 to see if BonJon Pass was open, but first, a side trip East on FR27 to check the snow level. Surprisingly we made it up to 2600ft just below the Little Quil River. There's not that much snow even up at the summit with lots of green showing through. Here's MasterChief and a look back the way we came.

Riding West again toward BonJon Pass the snow was predictably heavy just past the rock quarry. Blackboots gamely rode ahead to check the route while the rest of us followed more slowly. The snow was continuous for a mile and intermittent beyond so we turned back for Woods Road.

The tarn just West of BonJon Pass

Looking East, back the way we had come

Outdoor girl had bravely ridden her 800GS up through the snow and now had to wrestle the heavy bike around and ride the slick ruts back to bare gravel. What a trouper! It took the combined efforts of everyone but myself to get the bike turned around whilst dodging 4WD's, Quads and looney's in cars trying to get to the Mt Zion trailhead.

We traveled West on Woods Rd to 2840 where we tiptoed through the slick bits back up to FR28 and thence to Palo Alto Rd. The Longhouse at Blyn beckoned so we boogied back on Jimmycomelately Rd for a mugup. The rest of the group followed Blackboots West on back roads to Carlsborg before heading home. I went home to get my truck so that Blackboots could force me to buy his extra compressor and make room in his shop.!??

Thanks MasterChief and Outdoor Girl for coming along. Your company is always welcome! Dave

More pics next time...my camera is failing. dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #3132
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Yesterday MasterChief, Blackboots, Outdoor Girl and myself rode West from Quilcene to Carlsborg on the low roads.
Thanks, Dave. Wow, there sure is still a lot of snow. I am happy that you all were safe.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #3133
MasterChief
Adventurer

Quote:
Yesterday MasterChief, Blackboots, Outdoor Girl and myself rode West from Quilcene to Carlsborg on the low roads. I am sad to report that Penny Creek Rd is now gated as a “Private Tree Farm” by Pope Resources just West of the junction with FR210. Two new gates, the second just East of Lord's Lake Loop Rd, have closed the route.

From Lord's Lake we ran up FR2850 to see if BonJon Pass was open, but first, a side trip East on FR27 to check the snow level. Surprisingly we made it up to 2600ft just below the Little Quil River. There's not that much snow even up at the summit with lots of green showing through. Here's MasterChief and a look back the way we came.

Riding West again toward BonJon Pass the snow was predictably heavy just past the rock quarry. Blackboots gamely rode ahead to check the route while the rest of us followed more slowly. The snow was continuous for a mile and intermittent beyond so we turned back for Woods Road.

The tarn just West of BonJon Pass

Looking East, back the way we had come

Outdoor girl had bravely ridden her 800GS up through the snow and now had to wrestle the heavy bike around and ride the slick ruts back to bare gravel. What a trouper! It took the combined efforts of everyone but myself to get the bike turned around whilst dodging 4WD's, Quads and looney's in cars trying to get to the Mt Zion trailhead.

We traveled West on Woods Rd to 2840 where we tiptoed through the slick bits back up to FR28 and thence to Palo Alto Rd. The Longhouse at Blyn beckoned so we boogied back on Jimmycomelately Rd for a mugup. The rest of the group followed Blackboots West on back roads to Carlsborg before heading home. I went home to get my truck so that Blackboots could force me to buy his extra compressor and make room in his shop.!??

Thanks MasterChief and Outdoor Girl for coming along. Your company is always welcome! Dave

More pics next time...my camera is failing. dd
Dave & Red

Thanks for being tour guides again. It was my first ride in long time and I throughly enjoyed it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #3134
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

You're Welcome! And, We're Gonna Do It Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
Dave & Red Thanks for being tour guides again. It was my first ride in long time and I throughly enjoyed it.
Peter, you're welcome anytime. The last morning frost usually occurs between the 15th and 20th of April and with the weather predicted for the next week we'll soon be able to explore all of those spurs off the roads we traveled Sunday. Red and I are going to do the Poker Run and dualsport at Odessa so I'm going out again this coming weekend just to smooth off some of the rust. The afternoons are going to be warm for the ride home so I'm thinking of an early start from Blyn Saturday. (9:30 at the Longhouse where we had coffee) The "plan" would be to ride the more challenging routes on the hill and the reward would be the spectacular views to be had at the end of those runs. Dave

Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #3135
MasterChief
Adventurer

Quote:
Peter, you're welcome anytime. The last morning frost usually occurs between the 15th and 20th of April and with the weather predicted for the next week we'll soon be able to explore all of those spurs off the roads we traveled Sunday. Red and I are going to do the Poker Run and dualsport at Odessa so I'm going out again this coming weekend just to smooth off some of the rust. The afternoons are going to be warm for the ride home so I'm thinking of an early start from Blyn Saturday. (9:30 at the Longhouse where we had coffee) The "plan" would be to ride the more challenging routes on the hill and the reward would be the spectacular views to be had at the end of those runs. Dave
Sounds good. let me see if I can get an ok from my dear loving wife.