User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
calmod OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
help with 95 r100 gs

Hello all. I just bought a 95 r100 gs with around 9000 miiles. It needs a bit of work as it has been sitting for long periods. It starts and runs well enough. The brakes suck. I have ordered a wheel cylinder rebuild kit, a stainless line, and a wave rotor. Will this get me acceptable brakes??? I plan on changing the oil and filter, air filter, and putting on new tires. Do I need to think about lubing splines or anything more involved than I am thinking of doing. Should I set the valves?? It runs smooth and quiet. I would love to put a tank cover on it. Does anyone know of a source?? new windshield source?? any cool farkles (sources)?? thanks much john
calmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 443
I would lube the splines, even with the low miles I am sure that the grease has dried out. Adjusting the valves does not take long and give you a chance to look under the front cover. (Disconnect the battery first). Check that the diode board mounts have not broken. Change the trans and drive lube.
As for "farkles" you can go as far as you check book allows. Jesse Panniers, a Harrison Billet Six front caliber, Wolfman tank bag, Aerostich tank panniers, Omega or Duralast charging system, high end rear shock, PIAA lighting...................
Tank cover, Mustang, they come up from time to time on E-Bay.
Hennepinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
With the right pads the stock brake is acceptable , Galfer Greens work OK.

I would ride it for a month or so before I started spending too much - I bought a 93 R IOO GS five weeks ago and and have spent the price of a good rear shock on minor upgraades / farkles, and now the shock is my no 1 priority.

When I am in funds again.

Gotta do my 2005 tax return----.

And dont be afraid to ask , your fellow board members have probably made every mistake there is and are only too happy to help others avoid doing the same.

The drive shaft is the main weak spot on these bikes , as the universal joints at either end have no facility to enable them to be lubricated, and the front one in particular take quite extreme angles.

If your bike hase been standing the grease there , and on the clutch splines , would probably have dried out , and need replacing.

The clutch spines are a easy job , but you will need someone elses advice on repacking the drive shaft bearings.
Beemerboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
sstodvictory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
The best tank cover for your model that I've ever seen was made by Mustang Seats. They must have run out of stock and decided not to sew up some more, because that part is no longer listed on their web site.

They are nice people to deal with and maybe they still have the pattern - could be worth contacting them to ask anyway.

http://www.mustangseats.com/

Steve
sstodvictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerboff
And dont be afraid to ask , your fellow board members have probably made every mistake there is and are only too happy to help others avoid doing the same.
Ditto that.

I'd also add that any used bike or vehicle for that matter should have all the fluids changed.

If it were me, I'd change out the tranny and final drive oil and the fork oil. It will also get you familiar with the new bike. Take a peek at your rear brakes while you have the rear wheel off for the tire swap.

Take a rag and a wire brush and a tube of anti-seize and any time you have something off, give it a good once over since you don't know how it's been cared for.

Good luck. I can't believe someone hasn't cried about you not posting pics yet. So post some pics!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
+1 on checking the valves-silence is not always good. Tappy valves are happy valves!
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #7
calmod OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I plan on all fluids, valve adjust, new filters, rebuild leaking front caliper cylinder, new rotor, new pads, new tires. I then plan on riding it for at least 1000 miles to see if I like it. I currently ride dirt on a ktm 400exc. I have owner airheads before, a guzzi, a triumph , ducati, honda, yamaha. i do like an airhead for road miles. I am still looking for a tank cover, maybe a screen. who still makes farkles for this year???
calmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,044
For used/new parts I always check out www.re-psycle.com I wouldn't be suprised if they had a tank cover. It's a pretty cool shop.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote