User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
homerj OP
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,971
Bluhduh Over-reved the engine

So I finally got my bike back together and starting under its own power. On my first ride I missed a shift while merging onto the freeway and over-reved the engine (8K +/-) and the engine starting running poorly (no power, no accelleration). I got the bike off the freeway and stopped.
After getting the bike home and letting it cool down, I pulled the valve cover and noticed about that the valves needed adjusting but looked straight.

I also drained the gas in the tank left over from August and refilled with fresh fuel thinking that bad fuel could have be detonating and caused the valve to move out of adjustment (I know, probably wishful thinking) and the rough running.

After adjusting the valves the bike seems to be running OK but I can't get rid of the feeling that I've fatally wounded the engine.

Can these engines tolerate 8K for very brief durations without needing a total overhaul?
If the engine won't tolerate 8K where should I look for damage?

TIA
I'm so bummed
Old 03-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj
So I finally got my bike back together and starting under its own power. On my first ride I missed a shift while merging onto the freeway and over-reved the engine (8K +/-) and the engine starting running poorly (no power, no accelleration). I got the bike off the freeway and stopped.
After getting the bike home and letting it cool down, I pulled the valve cover and noticed about that the valves needed adjusting but looked straight.

I also drained the gas in the tank left over from August and refilled with fresh fuel thinking that bad fuel could have be detonating and caused the valve to move out of adjustment (I know, probably wishful thinking) and the rough running.

After adjusting the valves the bike seems to be running OK but I can't get rid of the feeling that I've fatally wounded the engine.

Can these engines tolerate 8K for very brief durations without needing a total overhaul?

TIA
I'm so bummed

I have to believe that they can take very brief intervals of over-revving, like on a missed shift. (lord knows I miss shifts all the time)

but I cant explain why you are experiencing those other problems. maybe they are not related to the over-rev, but are related to the rebuild? You say it was on the first time out.. and just getting onto the highway indicates maybe the first time over 1/2 or 3/4 throttle? Maybe the probems were there already, just not noticed till you got up to a good speed. You may have just had shit gas in it, like you said.

did it run like crap the whole way home?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Laugh Relax

Unless you heard some really ugly noises. Most likely the valve adjustment and poor running had nothing to do with it.
With stock pistons and valve train I don't beleive you could hurt it.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
Lurking Luddite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
give it a compression test
Old 03-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
when was the last time you re-torqued the heads and tuned the valves?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,130
I've heard that the rotor windings are the limiting factor to max rpm in an Airhead.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
Do a leak down test and compression test.
I've over revved and done nothing and I've over revved and bent valves.

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJ
Unless you heard some really ugly noises. Most likely the valve adjustment and poor running had nothing to do with it.
With stock pistons and valve train I don't beleive you could hurt it.
I agree. You should not worry, do the general maintenance for the sake of sanity, then go out and over-rev it again! I mean Run it! =-)
--N
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
...the valves needed adjusting but looked straight.
I'm going to go against the tide here and suggest that you have a problem. It doesn't mean that the engine needs a total overhaul but you may have bent valves. Did the clearances open up? That indicates a bent valve that isn't closing fully. If performance dropped off then you probably were losing compression. The only way to get loss of compression through the valves WITH increased clearances is if you bent some valves.

If the clearances closed up, then maybe nothing bad happened. But either way, you aren't going to see the bent part just by opening the valve cover.

Just for grins, look inside the valve cover and see if there are rub marks from the rocker arms.

So, which way were the clearances off?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
I'd think you'd have a "valve float" condition.
Motor spinning so fast that the valves don't close all the way,no combustion so no power.

Definition: A high-rpm engine condition in which the valve lifters lose contact with the cam lobes because the valve springs are not strong enough to overcome the momentum of the various valve train components. The onset of valve float prevents higher-rpm operation. Extended periods of valve float will damage the valve train.

Did it a few times on an old airhead GS100. Never any damage just loss of power.

Compression check will tell if valve/s are bent.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,263
Quote:

TIA
I'm so bummed

I've done similar on my R90/6, was cruising along using the "cruise control" knob mounted on the the throttle. I went to down shift for passing, pull in the clutch and just let go of the throttle, forgetting I'd locked it in place.. ZOOM.. Well over 8 grand, but thousands of miles later, no sign of bent valves..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRich
I'd think you'd have a "valve float" condition.
Motor spinning so fast that the valves don't close all the way,no combustion so no power.

solution there would be stiffer springs but your top end's life is halved...
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
homerj OP
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
I'm going to go against the tide here and suggest that you have a problem. It doesn't mean that the engine needs a total overhaul but you may have bent valves. Did the clearances open up? That indicates a bent valve that isn't closing fully. If performance dropped off then you probably were losing compression. The only way to get loss of compression through the valves WITH increased clearances is if you bent some valves.

If the clearances closed up, then maybe nothing bad happened. But either way, you aren't going to see the bent part just by opening the valve cover.

Just for grins, look inside the valve cover and see if there are rub marks from the rocker arms.

So, which way were the clearances off?
They were tight, but i forgot to measure how much they'd moved.

I checked the valve cover and there aren't any rub marks. I also took a look at the pushrod ends by rotating the engine past TDC and they looked OK (not mashed or scarred in any visually detectable way).

It looks like a leakdown compression is the test for bent valves?

Also, I plan on just finishing out this tank of gas (300 mi +/-) and rechecking the valves.

It's been so long since i rode it I'm just having an issue knowing what noises are normal and what noises mean trouble.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,850

Asked of the Airhead experienced . . . Could he have twanged a pushrod?

- Jim

EDIT: Apparently I had this thread open in another window for a long while, and responded without hitting refresh. And so did not see Homer's response. I see that bending a pushrod would open the valve lash.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 03-21-2007 at 04:36 AM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #15
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
I've heard that the rotor windings are the limiting factor to max rpm in an Airhead.
Valves float and the oil pump cavitates (about 8200 RPM I think).

Quote:
They were tight, but i forgot to measure how much they'd moved.
Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote. Did you indicate that you had a persistent loss in performance until you got home and adjusted the valves, or just that power was off while you were over 8000 RPM?

If you just had top end work done, some tightening of the valves would be expected on the first ride. Otherwise, well, dunno. I guess I'm not sure of exactly what you experienced.