Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #556
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Just back from a 4500 miles round trip to Texas. We rode through 11 states and no rain but a lot of heat! The Q was fine, I just had to replace a flasher.

2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #557
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 841
Cool - I think I saw your note on the yahoo group too. I wish I could break away long enough for a 450 mile ride, let alone 4500. I did manage to ride to the top of a local butte on Saturday and enjoy the sunrise. Just had to get up at 3:30am!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #558
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,540
Hey Copwombat!

I've got a 7/33 on my Quota now and I like it for everything under ~70MPH, after that...not so much.

Do you not do many freeway drones or don't you mind the engine cranking it up to 11?

I'm putting the 8/3 back on soon, I just put it on for a weekend camping trip with my 12 year old son, riding slow and heavy it worked great.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #559
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

The 8/33 on my bike cooked itself (not sure if this was me or the drive but I run my oil level high now to make sure the pinion bearing gets oil). I replaced it with a 7/33 and there really isn't much difference. It's pretty rare that you use the bottom of first gear (its not like I'm doing single track!), and though in practice it should accelerate better I can't tell much difference. It does drop the top gear cruising speed from 85 to about 75, which might be good or bad... I do like the gear spread a bit better for backroads riding, but this isn't a mod I would recommend unless you really needed a replacement drive and you actually use your Q as a dual sport.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #560
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

I noticed on my recent trip the final drive was so hot you could hardly touch it so while in Dallas I changed the fluid to Redline shock proof heavy. I use this in my other Guzzis and the drive runs much cooler.
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #561
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

My old one ran really hot (then died), the new old one runs cooler but it still gets pretty hot. There is a lot of stirring action in that little casting back there... I might have to try the redline - I take it you still used the moly additive?

I can't help but wonder if on the Quota the pinion sits taller than almost any other Guzzi due to the suspension travel and swingarm angle. The oil level plug is certainly misleading on a Q. It seems that running the oil a little high shouldn't hurt as long as it isn't blowing seals, although more oil might make it run hotter. Hmmmm...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #562
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
I don't think there's any need to add moly to Redline Heavy Shockproof. I believe it's loaded with it already.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #563
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't add any moly,
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #564
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,540
Five years of Quota ownership and it's time for a change. It's going on Craigslist and I'm going to pull my T-3 out of retirement.

After spending the weekend with my 12 year old on the back I realized we don't fit, it doesn't work as "our" bike anymore so the fun is greatly diminished.

Always wanted a Loop...we'll see what happens.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #565
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Nothing to really add, Just a couple of pics.

Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 AM   #566
Rokoneer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Apparently the rider of the red Quota is being very nice to the owner of the black Quota by letting him ride in front as well all know that the red bikes are sooooo much faster then the black ones......
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #567
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
OK guys/gals, time for some good advice from you,

I've long had more than a casual affection for the Guzzi line of cycles. I've been to many Mid-Western Rallies in the last two years or so. I've talked to owners about their bikes and problems they've encountered. I've ridden both the Breva 1100 (no ABS, bummer) and Norge 1100 ABS bikes (liked it a lot, but heavy). I can't handle the cruiser style sitting position so all of those other bikes (California's, EV's, Stones, Bassos, etc.) are out of the picture for me.

Right now my bike is an '09 Wee-Strom ABS. I use it for long distance touring, camping trips and riding to cycle rallies -- 12--15K miles per year. For example, I just recently returned from a 5300 mile trip to western Montana (the ADVrider Rally in Darby, MT) and all places between here and there. The bike did everything I asked of it without problem. It is also light (485# Wet) and at my age --- 78 later this month --- weight is something I need to keep clearly in mind.

My question is the following -- of all the Guzzi bikes I've seen, the most logical choice for me is either the Quota (heavier than my Wee by 50# and not readily available) or the latest model Stelvio (ugh, lots heavier than my Wee). Should I really consider changing to a Guzzi, and, if so, which one? Or, should I just remain with my current Wee and enjoy it?

Thanks for your comments.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #568
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
My question is the following -- of all the Guzzi bikes I've seen, the most logical choice for me is either the Quota (heavier than my Wee by 50# and not readily available) or the latest model Stelvio (ugh, lots heavier than my Wee). Should I really consider changing to a Guzzi, and, if so, which one? Or, should I just remain with my current Wee and enjoy it?
I think that some of the weight figures that you are reading are wet, and some are dry. To make things even, lets just talk dry weights. I could be off by 5-10 pounds on these, but here they are as I recall them.

V-Strom 650 420#
Stelvio 470#
Quota 540#

Both Guzzis are heavier than your DL, the Quota by the most.

Having ridden the Stelvio and the Quota, I find them worlds apart. The Stelvio has so much more power and is much more refined. After riding the Stelvio, I was wondering how I'd ever want to ride my Q again.

But, I got on the Q, and it worked just fine. Wasn't as fast and shifted a little clunkier, but it worked.

If I was a practical person, which I don't tend to be, I'd stick with your DL650. Not sure if you do your own service work or not, but there are obviously a few more people working on Suzukis than Guzzi, so take that into consideration. Parts would be easier to get as well.

If I had enough $$ burning a way in my pocket, I'd head to the closest Guzzi dealer (500 miles away) or their competitor (750-800 miles away in the opposite direction) and leave with a Stelvio.

For know, I'll just keep enjoying the 2 Quotas that I have. They have character and soul like a Suzuki can't, but that isn't always a bad thing...

Any chance that you could keep the Strom and get a Stelvio and a Quota as well? With all three you could give us a great comparison in a year!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #569
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

One thing to consider is the Stelvio has a very huge and unpractical rear rim and tire for truly dual sport adventures. You can as some have done get a NTX rear rim to actually make it usable. The Quota is a decent enough big dual sport but (i know I will offend some here) its probably not better than the wee strom. I also own a 1988 BMW GS paris dakar and although the bike is 12 years older than the Q it's a much more suited to true dual sport riding.
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
Old 08-16-2011, 01:51 AM   #570
gscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
'cruiser style', not position

I'd just comment that the Cali's you mention, although 'cruiser' styled do not have a laid back 'cruiser' riding position. At least not my Bassa. It is a completely upright riding position. I sit in the crouching position, not on my tailbone.
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote