Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #571
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
They have character and soul like a Suzuki can't, but that isn't always a bad thing... Any chance that you could keep the Strom and get a Stelvio and a Quota as well? With all three you could give us a great comparison in a year!
Thanks guys for all the good comments. I'll keep your info in mind as I try and decide what to do. I think it's this "character and soul thing" that keeps me coming back to the Guzzi bikes. Some additional comments for clarification --

As far as the dual sport riding -- my "off road" riding is limited to decent surface gravel and entries into campgrounds. I like the dual sport bikes for their more upright seating position and their pack mule loading capabilities. Therefore, the different rim/tire situation on the Stelvio would not create a problem for me. Plus, it's my understanding that the next version of the Stelvio (available sometime next year??) will have cast rims rather than the current spoke rims.

As far as doing mechanical work -- I was a Mech Engr by trade, so do everything I can. I have always concluded that owning a Guzzi would mean doing my own work, getting parts via UPS and technical assistance either from a shop manual or the experts on a website.

As far as the "cruiser like" seating position -- I guess I have to relook some of the other models. I lumped all of those models in with the Cali's, etc that I have tryed in the past. I am hopeful of again attending the Guzzi Rally in northern Michigan in September and normally there is a wide variety of Guzzis there that I will be able to view and possibly sit on.

And last, as far as owning one of each -- Yeah, right! I get adequate grief from my wife (of 53 years) for the one that I currently own. I can't imagine what would happen if I had two or three in the garage at the same time.

Once again guys, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your considered consul.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:40 AM   #572
maquette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;16639111]Thanks guys for all the good comments. I'll keep your info in mind as I try and decide what to do. I think it's this "character and soul thing" that keeps me coming back to the Guzzi bikes. Some additional comments for clarification --

Chuck,

Why not keep the DL650 and pick up a Loopframe to work on and have fun with? Charlie has one for sale on WildGuzzi and I know of one that could be bought right in Illinois. All the character you could ever want and you get to keep the reliability and fuel economy of your DL.

Tom
'79 Moto Guzzi 1000SP/ Velorex 562 sidecar
'72 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
maquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #573
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Thanks guys for all the good comments. I'll keep your info in mind as I try and decide what to do. I think it's this "character and soul thing" that keeps me coming back to the Guzzi bikes. Some additional comments for clarification --

As far as the dual sport riding -- my "off road" riding is limited to decent surface gravel and entries into campgrounds. I like the dual sport bikes for their more upright seating position and their pack mule loading capabilities. Therefore, the different rim/tire situation on the Stelvio would not create a problem for me. Plus, it's my understanding that the next version of the Stelvio (available sometime next year??) will have cast rims rather than the current spoke rims.

As far as doing mechanical work -- I was a Mech Engr by trade, so do everything I can. I have always concluded that owning a Guzzi would mean doing my own work, getting parts via UPS and technical assistance either from a shop manual or the experts on a website.

As far as the "cruiser like" seating position -- I guess I have to relook some of the other models. I lumped all of those models in with the Cali's, etc that I have tryed in the past. I am hopeful of again attending the Guzzi Rally in northern Michigan in September and normally there is a wide variety of Guzzis there that I will be able to view and possibly sit on.

And last, as far as owning one of each -- Yeah, right! I get adequate grief from my wife (of 53 years) for the one that I currently own. I can't imagine what would happen if I had two or three in the garage at the same time.

Once again guys, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your considered consul.
Sheesh - you keep a wife you don't 100% get on with with 53 years, but a bike with just a little more soul comes along and you want to trade your trusty Suzuki after just a handful of summers?
My advice (admittedly only after 31 years together): tell the wife to shape up & get with the programme! My wife currently owns more bikes than I do - and including the daughter's dirtbikes - we have a dozen - which is a comfortable number of keepers, fixers and daily rides for street and dirt....
Of that dozen, five are Guzzis of which we've had four for 30 years or more... I hear you about the seating position of the dual-sports and would counsel you AGAINST an older (loop-frame) bike as they simply don't have the suspension suppleness that us older guys enjoy - okay for youngsters or folk that don't know any better, but two inches of suspension travel just doesn't let me stay up late drinking after an 800 mile day.
If the weight of the new DS bikes is (or might become) an issue, Guzzi has some very sweet 750s; not dual-sports, but quite upright in their stance and supple in their springing. They're not massively powerful but ridden right will often get to where you're going faster than you'd expect.
Tinkering with Guzzis never gets old - and with The Bible (Guzziology) at hand, you'll learn something new every day till the new days end.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #574
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
...For know, I'll just keep enjoying the 2 Quotas that I have. They have character and soul like a Suzuki can't, but that isn't always a bad thing...
Good summary on the Quota, quota.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #575
ScuRoo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Blacks & yellows - now that ride's gotta be some heaven right there!
Attached Images

ScuRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 AM   #576
capwombat
n00b

Oddometer: 6
7/33 Rear End in the Quota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
Hey Copwombat!

I've got a 7/33 on my Quota now and I like it for everything under ~70MPH, after that...not so much.

Do you not do many freeway drones or don't you mind the engine cranking it up to 11?

I'm putting the 8/3 back on soon, I just put it on for a weekend camping trip with my 12 year old son, riding slow and heavy it worked great.
Sorry -- just seeing this now (I don't log on too often). I like the 7/33, but I don't normally ride at high speed (85 mph+) on the freeways for hours at a time. If I did, I'd keep the stock 8/33. I do ride (occasionally) off road w/the Q, and find the lower gearing useful both there, and for making 5th gear useful for "normal" highway riding. With the stock 8/33, I used 4th gear almost exclusively on the highway. The Q likes to rev and the engine is happiest between 4500 and 6000 RPMs. With an 8/33, that's not realistic in top gear, unless you spend all your time on the high speed limit highways in the West. Re riding w/a passenger, my wife is not a fan of the stock Quota seat, so I use the bike almost exclusively as a solo mount (though my 12 year old daughter likes the passenger seating ok...).
capwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #577
capwombat
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Current Iteration of the Quota

This shot taken in Utah in June, just before the Nevada Quota rally. I really like the new Givi bags.
Attached Images

capwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #578
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
Five years of Quota ownership and it's time for a change. It's going on Craigslist and I'm going to pull my T-3 out of retirement.

After spending the weekend with my 12 year old on the back I realized we don't fit, it doesn't work as "our" bike anymore so the fun is greatly diminished.

Always wanted a Loop...we'll see what happens.
Well, that was a stupid idea...Trying to sell something on Craigslist is like...like...

Three genuinely interested guys and 30 bottom feeding cretins whose first tack is to disparage something about it and hammer me on the price (in an email, having never seen the bike).

It's all good, it's a PITA to shuffle around a garage full of bikes but I can't bring myself to sell any right now.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #579
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Looks like I will be a Guzzi owner for a second time around. Just got a second chance on the Quota @ Sonny Angel in San Deigo. My wife and I are flying to LAX in a few weeks and will spend a week visiting the sites and with her family before she flies back and I tell Delta sorry about not using the return ticket. I am going to be riding my new Guzzi along the southern tier. As in Redondo Beach CA to St Augustine FL then head home here to W NC.

I would like to hear thoughts and concerns. I will have a week or so to ride and enjoy locally before heading out. Bike will be fresh with oil and rubber, but a bit concerned about wind buffering. I am 6' 2" and had a KTM 950 and hated the buffering I got off it. I took the screen off but I wasn't riding it coast to coast in dead of winter either.

I am more of a backroads than slab rider and have seen a couple choices. Twisted Throttle has a 2-3" taller for $105 and Harper's has the Parabellum. And Tourtech has a clip on extension that I have seen on some of the 950 KTM. What says you???
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #580
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewildwater View Post
I would like to hear thoughts and concerns. I will have a week or so to ride and enjoy locally before heading out. Bike will be fresh with oil and rubber, but a bit concerned about wind buffering.

What says you???
Get yourself some "Wing Deflectors" from Gustafsson Plastics. You'll have to come up with your own brackets, but it's not that hard to do at a hardware store. They mount vertically to the two fairing bolts on the side of the fuel tank.

Most of the Quota's buffeting is because of wind coming up the sides of the tank and hitting your helmet from the bottom.

If you've not ridden a Quota long distances at highway speeds, you'll just have to trust me on this.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #581
gscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
about buffeting

Rocker beat me to it. I don't find the buffeting bad at all, but I am a bit shorter than you,
(although relatively long in the back). It seems the consensus on buffeting is the wind comes up around the tank. It will take you a while to get a pair of Gustoffson winglets, they aren't that prompt. But see if you can get a set of tank panniers for your trip. They'll accomplish the same thing on the buffeting end, plus they have the advantage that you can put stuff in them!

Sounds like a great trip. But don't expect any sympathy from me about heading between LA and FL in the 'dead of winter'. Sounds like a nice Fall trip to me, it's 24 degrees here this AM.

Oh, you'll probably want to join the Yahoo "Quota group".
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #582
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,535
I have a slightly taller than stock (not enough to make a difference IMO) MRA windscreen and have no buffeting complaints. With the barn-door Gustaffson I had buffeting complaints. I'm a short-legged 6'0" so call me 6'2" for sitting purposes.

I did a fly and ride from California to Washington to get my Quota. On the way home the exhaust fell apart and the rear main seal stopped sealing. My Q was a decrepit heap from day one though...

You can't prepare for everything, sometimes you have to cast your fates to the wind and enjoy the ride, I've never had a Guzzi that didn't get me home on a wing and a prayer.

You might want to up your credit limit before you go though
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #583
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I've looked at the Quota as a solution to my "wanting to own a Guzzi" thoughts. However, the spoke wheels that require tubes are a drawback for me.

To your knowledge, has anyone ever respoked the wheels with rims with the nipples outboard of the bead so tubeless tires can be used? I have seen that type of rim on some Guzzis and Beemers GS bikes before.

Thanks.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 AM   #584
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewildwater View Post
Looks like I will be a Guzzi owner for a second time around. Just got a second chance on the Quota @ Sonny Angel in San Deigo. My wife and I are flying to LAX in a few weeks and will spend a week visiting the sites and with her family before she flies back and I tell Delta sorry about not using the return ticket. I am going to be riding my new Guzzi along the southern tier. As in Redondo Beach CA to St Augustine FL then head home here to W NC.
It looks like you got cold feet. I see the bike is back up for sale?
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #585
gscott
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Chuck from Indiana

Funny, I thought you were the same "Chuck from Indiana" that posts on the Guzzi boards and has had many Guzzis. I bought my Quota from him.

I've seen many posts on boards where folks have successfully sealed their spoked rims to go tubeless. Google it. Woody's wheel will do it for $99 per. Also, IIRC, when I spoke with Woody's Wheel they had a tubeless option for one end, but not yet for the other.

But be careful! I bought a Guzzi. Now have 3.
gscott is offline   Reply With Quote