Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #586
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscott View Post
Funny, I thought you were the same "Chuck from Indiana" that posts on the Guzzi boards and has had many Guzzis. I bought my Quota from him.

I've seen many posts on boards where folks have successfully sealed their spoked rims to go tubeless. Google it. Woody's wheel will do it for $99 per. Also, IIRC, when I spoke with Woody's Wheel they had a tubeless option for one end, but not yet for the other.
No, we are not the same person. I am "Chuck in Indiana" on all of the bike websites I monitor/contribute, with the exception of the Guzzi Site. There I am "ChuckH". I joined MGNOC a few years ago and when I tryed to sign on to their website I was told that my normal name was already taken. I met him shortly after at the Illinois Rally. Nice man.

Thanks for the info on wheel mods. I'll check out those sites.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #587
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Get yourself some "Wing Deflectors" from Gustafsson Plastics.....EDIT....you'll just have to trust me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gscott View Post
Rocker beat me to it. I don't find the buffeting bad at all, but I am a bit shorter than you,
(although relatively long in the back). It seems the consensus on buffeting is the wind comes up around the tank.....
What they said! I made my winglets with some plexi, cured 90% of the buffeting which was pretty unbearable before. Still working on the other 10%... The wind comes up from below so I think your choice of helmet makes a difference too. Have a great trip!

Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #588
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
A Question of Weight

OK Guys, a question for you --

I currently ride an '09 Wee-Strom ABS. The technical data says it weighs ~ 500#. Mine, with the normal weight-adding accessories that make it more ready for the road, weighs 575#, full of fuel (5.8 gal). Those accessories are things like different windshield/mounting bracket, centerstand, skid plate/engine protection bars, aluminum rear cases (empty) w/ mounting brackets, tool tube w/ stuff inside, tool kit/small compressor in under-seat compartment, and some other minor stuff.

On the road this past July, I was weighed at 880# (full of fuel and me on the bike) by the MT DOT near Butte. Naturally, I had clothes/etc in the rear cases. I also had a Givi Top Case with my cooking gear/heated riding gear, my tent/sleeping equipment/camping chair on the passenger's seat, a medium size tank bag w/ light stuff and a set of tank panniers with some bulky stuff. I'm near 200# in my riding gear, so that means I was carrying ~100# of gear for that 3 week/5300 mile camping trip.

Now the question -- under similar circumstances, what does your Quota weigh? Will it be heavier or lighter than my Wee?

Thanks for your response.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #589
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,516
SWAG: Add 50 pounds for the Quota.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #590
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,385
Yep. Quota weighs about 550-lbs.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #591
Walter Z
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quota advice

Hey Advriders,

I am thinking of purchasing a Quota, 35k miles, lowered (good for me at 5'7"), Supertrapp exhaust mapped with a Powercommander. Needs tires, price $2500. I have an r1150gs now, a Honda NX250, and a Ducati 748 that my 24 year old son will not let me sell. I have been wanting a Guzzi, and also a second bike for long distance touring. The Quota looks to my eyes what a dual sport is about. Love it.

Any advice for a first time Guzzi buyer? Is the price right? I have to travel for the purchase, I'm in MA, bike in FL. Wish I had more cash for a Stelvio, but I like the Quota and it's in my price range. I think I just need someone to tell me to get it...

Appreciate your thoughts.

Walter Z
Walter Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #592
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quotas don't have a lot of ground clearance stock. A lowered one will have something less than that. The engine has an oil pan, just like a car. keep that in mind if you're going off pavement. A skid plate for the sump would be money well spent. You'll have to go custom, because no one makes them.

The Gustafsson wings are a must in my book. The buffetting is bad, but manageable with a few improvements.

The bike weighs 550-lbs. That in itself will make you work off pavement. I had my Q in SW Colorado once and got a really good workout at Clear Lake, Ophir, and Cinnammon.

The bike has a good character. It's comfortable and the engine is torquey. For some reason the bikes are geared really tall. As in: You'll rarely need 5th tall. If you get the bike and like it, you might consider having the 8/33 rear gearing changed to 7/33, if it's not been done already.

Maintenance is easy and most cycle parts are available. But, keep in mind that the frame, swingarm, and bodywork are specific to the Quota and are not available from the factory. IF you break one of these parts, you'll be searching high and low for replacements. Less than 200 Quota 1100 ES bikes were imported to the USA. Model year 2000 only.

Oh... $2500 is a really good price, if it's a nice motorcycle.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #593
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,515
Did not read the whole thread so i hope this is not 205.

Google Dr John Wittner+Quota for an interesting first page.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #594
Walter Z
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks Rocker. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Walter Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #595
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Z View Post
Thanks Rocker. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Here are a few pix to feed your jones:

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #596
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,516

Party time

Nessman screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 08:44 PM
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #597
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Walter

I just sold my Quota last year to buy a new GS but the bike (when sorted) was a great machine and very durable. I rode it to Texas in 2010 from upstate NY and put 4500 miles on the bike in that trip with no issues, its a great highway machine. By the end of the year I had put on about 12000 miles a good portion of which were dirt roads and worse. The bike does have some quirks and problems: the rims especially the rear can crack around the spoke nipples. The factory excel rims were the ones that had the problems and in my opinion should be replaced. The frame also acts as the breather for the engine, on mine I found fine rusty metal fragments in the engine oil possibly left from initial welding that caused me to eliminate the frame breather which solved the issue. I never experienced buffeting except with an aftermarket wind screen, I ended up cutting the upper part of the screen into a "scoop" shape which solved buffeting. The single throttle body is a bit of a pain to adjust correctly but once you or your mechanic gets the hang of it it works pretty well. The bike is heavy but its also a fun bike to own and the price you mentioned is a good one.

A few pics of mine:

2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #598
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 832
Since we are posting Quota pictures:

Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #599
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Guzzi Enduro gathering

In keeping with the tradition of having an annual gathering for the Moto Guzzi enduro bikes in the U.S., the gathering will take place 18-20 May 2012, in Baker, Nevada.

Each May, for many years, there has been a gathering of Italian motorcycles in Baker. The organizers of the Grappa Gruppo Gathering have invited the Guzzi Enduro riders to join their event.

The host motel/restaurant/bar/campground is www.silverjackinn.com Terry, the owner is a enduro motorcyclist and has always proven to be a great host for the GGG. As always, this will be a fairly informal affair. Some riders may refer to it as a “ride to eat”. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads to explore in the area. Great Basin National Park/Lehman Caves is located at Baker. Just an hour away is Ely, NV. On this same weekend, the Silver State Classic open road race will be based out of Ely. A fun chance to see some cars that will be running down closed sections of highway at 200 miles per hour. Www.sscc.us It also looks as if Baker will be a stop for the Alamo Express endurance motorcycle rally on 19 May.

The rooms at the Silver Jack Inn should be filling up quickly. There should be camp space. A back up motel would be the Whispering Elms, only about 300 meters away from the Silver Jack. Their contact is www.greatbasinmotel.com

Hope to see some of you there.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #600
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
See you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
In keeping with the tradition of having an annual gathering for the Moto Guzzi enduro bikes in the U.S., the gathering will take place 18-20 May 2012, in Baker, Nevada.

Each May, for many years, there has been a gathering of Italian motorcycles in Baker. The organizers of the Grappa Gruppo Gathering have invited the Guzzi Enduro riders to join their event.

The host motel/restaurant/bar/campground is www.silverjackinn.com Terry, the owner is a enduro motorcyclist and has always proven to be a great host for the GGG. As always, this will be a fairly informal affair. Some riders may refer to it as a “ride to eat”. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads to explore in the area. Great Basin National Park/Lehman Caves is located at Baker. Just an hour away is Ely, NV. On this same weekend, the Silver State Classic open road race will be based out of Ely. A fun chance to see some cars that will be running down closed sections of highway at 200 miles per hour. Www.sscc.us It also looks as if Baker will be a stop for the Alamo Express endurance motorcycle rally on 19 May.

The rooms at the Silver Jack Inn should be filling up quickly. There should be camp space. A back up motel would be the Whispering Elms, only about 300 meters away from the Silver Jack. Their contact is www.greatbasinmotel.com

Hope to see some of you there.
Hope to see some of you there. It will be a great start to the season!
Bert aka Stumpy
www.gnatsass.net
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote