Thanks Utah quota...
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #62
John J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
In keeping this all in one thread, how is this bike for two up? Combined weight at 280 lbs.
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #63
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J
In keeping this all in one thread, how is this bike for two up? Combined weight at 280 lbs.
I often tour with pillion on mine. Probably around 300-310# for driver and pillion. Add luggage on top of that, 30-70?? depending on length of trip and whether or not there is camp gear. Bike seems to handle it fine.

At the first North America Quota rally in Nevada 2-3 years ago, there was a couple who rode their Quota 2-up from Iowa to Nevada in under 36 hours.

However, it isn't a Gold Wing.
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #64
Cruzin Goose
/^O^\

Oddometer: 70
Let's hear it for an oddball bike from an oddball bike company

(Flame suit on)

And odd people ride odd bikes. SInce acquiring my absolute favorite bike a few months ago to replace the melted one, I do believe I may sell off the '06 GSA I purchased with the thought I may never own another Quota. With it's legendary reliability, comfort and minimal cost of operation, the Quota is by far superior over the GS1200. While the new GSA has the many "benefits" of modern technology, there is far too much of it incorporated and yet not enough where it really counts.

(Flame suit off)

Yes, the Quota thread will die. Not because of lack of interest, but through sheer "non news". Those of us who own the "Q" may be the oddest "forward looking" of all the Guzzi owners. With less than 120 of them in the US, the Quota was so far ahead of it's time the traditional Guzzi owner/buyer did not know what to make of it. Notice how close the Triumph Tiger resembles it? Also, on another note, for you Japanese bike owners, take another look at the info manual that came with your new bike. It has a clear image of a Guzzi with two-up on the cover.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #65
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,537
Quote:
John J,
Our Quota is awesome two-up...

Be aware though that the Q is a bit rear biased in the weight distribution.

I load up the tank panniers and tank bag with some heavy stuff to help move some of that weight up front... the daily use items for bathing and personal hygiene ads quite a bit of weight, soap, shampoo, contact solution etc. Water if you don't use a Camel-Bak.
Sue and I have one rear pannier each for our stuff and the space across the panniers for the tent and gear.

Best,
Rob

Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #66
guzziboy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Laugh Tires and fork springs???

I'm new to this post and own a "Q" for eight yrs. now. I have tried Avon Distanzias and now have Gripsters. Both are a bit squirrely and the springs have been upgraded to Progressive 11-1506's. The springs are saggy now and need attention, any suggestion's on spring's? I'm using 10wt. oil in forks.
The bike is Blue/Champange, the best color for this big bike and has 17,000 miles on it. Thanks ahead!!!!
guzziboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #67
radguzzi

Hey guzziboy,
The tires I have had good experience with on the Q are Pirelli Scorpion MT 90's... good feel under foot and they seem to wear pretty well.

The fork springs are a bit of an effort to dial in for your particular weight and riding preference... Plus there are many mods that work well,...

I have used spacers in the front fork on a Hawk GT for instance, cut the bottoms of the Progressive Springs and use a 25mm spacer from the F3.... I wonder if something similar can be done with the Quota fork...?

These folks may have covered that subject too, check it out. The board even has a photo of the Blue and Champagne Q....

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Guzzi_Quota

As for that color... Beauty is in the Eyes of the Beer-Holder...
Best,
Rob

Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #68
John J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
So is this bike likely to complement or compete with my El Dorado?
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:46 PM   #69
radguzzi

Quote:
So is this bike likely to complement or compete with my El Dorado?
Well I guess it would do both.... All my Guzzis compliment the others however, the fact that some are Sport, some are Dual Sport and some are Touring rigs they have their specific attributes for the task at hand.
If only two were in the barn, depending on the intended use, then they might compete..

I had an Eldo many moons back... What a piece of work that was. On the short list of sleds that never should have left my grip...
Best,
Rob

I want a Norgé...!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #70
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,522
I just sold my Triumph, now the Quota is my only running bike and my garage is back to being 100% Guzzi. Not a little sellers remorse on my part but something had to go. My garage space is limited.

On to Quota stuff:
My tank has a leak, right at the back where the hold down bolt hole is. Not a big leak, not enough to form a drip but enough to stink up the garage.

Any wisdom from the collective?? I put a post over in "The Garage" as well, we'll see what it brings.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #71
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
My tank has a leak, right at the back where the hold down bolt hole is. Not a big leak, not enough to form a drip but enough to stink up the garage.

Any wisdom from the collective?? I put a post over in "The Garage" as well, we'll see what it brings.
I have used a product called "Seal-All" on trail bike tanks... worked well. Given that the Quota has a plastic tank it should work for that too. Not really pretty but you may be able to paint it, I did not try...
This stuff will seal up the Crack of Dawn....
Rob

Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #72
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,522
Thanks Rob, I'll clean things up and try it.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:12 PM   #73
Cruzin Goose
/^O^\

Oddometer: 70
Leak repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
On to Quota stuff:

Seal-All does not work very well with Gas-O-Hol. It's cheap and certainly worh a try though. A more permanent repair may be found at your local ski shop. They sell rods of plastic material that is melted on/into the surface of skis to fill and seal gouges. It is applied using a hot iron or clean soldering gun melting the base material and filler together. It is an easily controlled local permanent repair.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #74
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,277

I bought this new and kept it 3-4 years. It was my $2/3 answer to the lust for a new R1150GS. After riding the Quota for a couple years, I tried a R1150GS...what a let down.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #75
radguzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Goose

Seal-All does not work very well with Gas-O-Hol.

Oh, I did not know that... It (gas-a-hol)was not around when I fixed the IT 490 tank with it...
The plastic weld repair is an art also...
Thanks,
Rob