Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #76
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,538
After cleaning it up I noticed that gas was seeping out of a general area at the back edge of the "beaver tail". I remembered that I work in the aviation industry and "found" a lil' jar of aircraft fuel tank sealant at work. I drilled several holes at various angles through the beaver tail and injected the bejeezus out of it with sealant.

Hopefully I filled it up enough to stop further leaking.

I got the bike cheap and I've spent a lot of time and money trying to put it right. It might have been cheaper to spend $5-6K on a nicer bike but then I wouldn't have all the fun of trying to fix the hundred niggles and the peace of mind of knowing how it all goes together.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:27 PM   #77
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

Fixed!

Here's a link to the Garage post, gotta get back to work.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...42#post4650242
Old 05-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #78
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,558
Fixt...

That's cool Matt, good for you. Hope it holds...

I know who you work for too...
Rob

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #79
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Did manage to get the Quota out for a little ride to the Guzzi rally in Nevada last weekend. Details here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232720
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:07 PM   #80
guzziboy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Eh? Tires Again!!

I'm thinking of purchasing the MEFO tires and/or the IRC GP110, or maybe the Duro Median tire's!! I need a 60% off-road tire for my Q. I've read about the Tourances and the TKC80 and was going to get the TKC's until I read they were Asian made and soft, go figure.. Thanks for everyone's replies, they're helpful, really. I'm thinking of the HyperPro Spring for the front replacements. They seem promising!! I'm in the process of making a suitable skidplate out of aluminum for I've been w/o the added peace of mind and would like some in the areas that I endure on this bike. I know there isn't a real allpurpose tire out there, but I'm still looking!!!!! Any thought's from You Beast driver's on this subject again please????
guzziboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #81
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziboy
I'm thinking of purchasing the MEFO tires and/or the IRC GP110, or maybe the Duro Median tire's!! I need a 60% off-road tire for my Q. I've read about the Tourances and the TKC80 and was going to get the TKC's until I read they were Asian made and soft, go figure.. Thanks for everyone's replies, they're helpful, really. I'm thinking of the HyperPro Spring for the front replacements. They seem promising!! I'm in the process of making a suitable skidplate out of aluminum for I've been w/o the added peace of mind and would like some in the areas that I endure on this bike. I know there isn't a real allpurpose tire out there, but I'm still looking!!!!! Any thought's from You Beast driver's on this subject again please????
I've used the IRC GP110 on my Transalp. I much preferred the GP1. I'd not go with the 110 again unless I was on tarmac 95% of the time. I don't think I'd use the tire on something with the power and weight of the Quota though.
Not familiar with the MEFO at all.
Don't know anything about the Duro either. Looks like they are supposedly built for the bigger bikes. For $75-80 for a pair, it can't hurt too much to try them.
I think my choice would be the TKC80. I've used it on a GS1200 and liked the way it worked. Seems like 5000 miles is about the life of them on the average.

Now that I think about it, go ahead and try the Duro. Let us know how they work. I like the price!

quota screwed with this post 05-25-2007 at 04:06 PM
quota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #82
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
I'm 6'5" & thought about getting a Quota nearly a year ago, when Osteo-Arthritus forced me from my CaliEV.
'Couldnt get a Quota at the time,here locally in OZ...so I ended up with a Aprilia Caponord that was going cheap...that no one wanted
...98HP is much more fun than 71...Caponords are good once setup,& the exhaust cans needed gutting...
...its suits my budget & needs for now,but often wonder how much more soul a hotted up Quota would've had...oh well,enough ranting...

JohnG. screwed with this post 05-27-2007 at 05:24 AM
JohnG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #83
guzziboy
n00b

Eek Who's Fender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai

I bought this new and kept it 3-4 years. It was my $2/3 answer to the lust for a new R1150GS. After riding the Quota for a couple years, I tried a R1150GS...what a let down.
Who's fender is that, I'd like to do the same for mine in blue!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #84
guzziboy
n00b

Wicked Tire support!!!

Thanks for the support and knowledge from all of you out there!
I purchased the TKC's for the "Q".
Now it's time to get real in the dirt.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 PM   #85
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziboy
Who's fender is that, I'd like to do the same for mine in blue!
Just a universal high fender that I trimmed out front. Also has to add a wood block spacer between the fender and triple clamp. I now run a KLR, so cheap, improvised solutions are in my blood.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #86
guzziboy
n00b

Wicked Fender Mod!!

Thanks for the tip! I'm thinking of the Acerbis universal fender in black for my Blue/Champange Quota, as the blue Yamaha color is not dark enough. Your opinion is much appreciated!!! Thanks Ahead!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #87
Doomsday_Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ah, the Quota...such a sad name for a bike with so much personality and a great sense of humor.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:01 AM   #88
Rossco
Cpt. Blue Coat

Oddometer: 250
Thumb Gotta luv a Quota

I rode a quota for 6 years, then sold it too my brother. He still rides it. Last weekend we went for a ride and swapped bikes (I now have a 1150 gs), must confess apart from the brakes (not so good on the Quota) it compares very well to the GS. The engine vibe and exhaust note is so much better than the GS

Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely
salt water has the same affect
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #89
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist

My fuel level sender went TU, I bought a new one that doesn't look like the old (broken) one but it does LOOK like it'll work.

Does anybody know if there are two incompatable part numbers or just two that look different but work fine???

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #90
vecchio Lupo
Diplomatico Di Moto

Oddometer: 437
Sorry, Ive been out of the country (and my mind) for a few weeks. I saw a month ago that "Quota" was asking about finding one for cheap. since the Norge is out and the Stelvio is on the horizen, Quotas are turning up quite often. I saw one just last week on the northshore (Lake Ponchartrain) for sale with very little interest from the dyna wide glide crowd. If you ping me I'll track the dude down and get a price.

As far as my issues (Small Compared to Some) I installed a Mistral crossover, a K&N filter and a brass temp sensor, I will report on fuel consumption later. Has anybody put a Power Commander III on one??

In the new issue of Bike Magazine (issue 410, June 07) out of the UK, they did a big tyre evaluation. they used BMWs but the idea was what worked best on big trailies. For Asphalt only types it was the Continental Road Attacks as best of bunch with the Avons being faster, but real soft compound wouldnt last. The Bridgestone BT-020 were picked for best long distance comfort tourers. I myself need tires to replace the hunting Pirellis fitted now. I will go with the Contis or Bstones.

The Dual Purpose tyres test showed the Dunlop Trailmax

Moto Guzzi, going out of business since 1921
"Remember, Italian motorcycles are like Italian women, sometimes they stab you for no reason."
vecchio Lupo is offline   Reply With Quote