ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
NoDad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
V-Strom West 2015 meet - July 10-12 in Fortuna CA

V-Strom West 2015 meet - July 10-12 in Fortuna CA

I figured I'd port this here as well, since there are a few V-Strommers from OR & WA who are planning to attend.

The VW (V-Strom West) meet is on it's way .

Its happening July 10 12 in the city of Fortuna, CA. Fortuna is located at the western end of one of the top rated roads in the US, Hwy 36. According to a Fortuna web site, The Friendly City, Fortuna, California, Home of the Giant Redwoods! , its located far enough inland to avoid most of the cold and damp fog that the Pacific brings, but its close enough to the coast to have lower than inland temps.

Lodging seems to be very convenient with multiple motels/hotels, a camp ground, a gas station and restaurants within walking distance of each other.

Preliminary plans for rides:
Starting the rides going inland away from the colder (and probably foggy) coast. This means going west in the afternoon when inland is hot and the coast (hopefully) fog free and cooler in temperature.

For more information see the web site: http://westernvstromgathering.weebly.com/. Keep in mind the site isn't complete yet. My boss prefer I work on company related stuff, while on the clock.

Hope to see you fellow V-Strommers there.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
NoDad OP
Adventurer

Great news! We're getting some sponsors donating stuff for the gathering. The sponsors so far are California Heat, Ecuador Freedom Bike Rentals, Extuff, MotorcycleGear.com, Giant Loop and Warm & Safe Heated Gear. Please support them as they support us.

See the sponsor page on the meet website for the latest information - http://vstromwest.weebly.com/sponsors.html

NoDad screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 03:32 PM Reason: Changed URL
NoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
NoDad OP
Adventurer

The not so good news is, so far only six people have said they are attending. I'm hoping we'll be a few more. If you're planning to attend please let me know. This can be done by going to the meet website and use the contact form or posting here.

Hope to see lots of you in July. More info on the meet website - http://vstromwest.weebly.com/

NoDad screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 03:33 PM Reason: Changed URL
Old 04-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
NoDad OP
Adventurer

More sponsors

More great news. We have a few more sponsors. They are really stepping up to the plate to support our motorcycle community. Please keep this in mind when you're looking for your next purchase. The latest sponsors are...
  • Butler Maps
  • SuperBrace
  • MotoCafe
Please see the complete list and what they are donating on the meet website - http://vstromwest.weebly.com/sponsors.html

NoDad screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 03:33 PM Reason: Changed URL
Old 04-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Suggestion

I lived and rode in that area for 25+ years...stay in Ferndale and not Fortuna...MUCH nicer place to stay and only a couple of miles from 36 and close to the beach.

36 is indeed a great paved road. There are a couple of other great roads in the area. Look at Ferndale to Petrolia along the "Lost Coast"; better in my opinion than 36.

Phil

Check Humboldt County 1...from 36 to 299 many curves along the ridge crest and lots of panoramic views of coast from up on top.

Ps...These are paved roads, but there a ton of outstanding dirt roads , Like Ruth Lake to Garberville; just watch for "gardens".
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #6
NoDad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa View Post
Check Humboldt County 1...from 36 to 299 many curves along the ridge crest and lots of panoramic views of coast from up on top.

Ps...These are paved roads, but there a ton of outstanding dirt roads , Like Ruth Lake to Garberville; just watch for "gardens".
Phil,
Our planned rides are on some of the roads you suggest. Lost Coast, Forest Road 1 (seems this has many names). See the rides - http://vstromwest.weebly.com/rides.html

We'll check the Ruth Lake-Garberville road for the dirt riders. I have also heard that Usal Road is good.

NoDad screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 03:34 PM Reason: Changed URL
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
NoDad OP
Adventurer

More sponsors

Today three more sponsors are added to the list. This is great, all these businesses stepping up giving us support. The new sponsors of the meet are...
  • ADVMoto Magazine
  • Adaptiv Technologies
  • Happy Trail

Make sure to support them as they are supporting us. A list of all sponsors - http://vstromwest.weebly.com/sponsors.html

NoDad screwed with this post 04-17-2015 at 03:34 PM Reason: Changed URL
Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
We're happy to be a part of it! Wish we could be there. We have 3 V-Stroms and would love to participate. Glad we can do it from here!

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
You Got it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDad View Post
Phil,
Our planned rides are on some of the roads you suggest. Lost Coast, Forest Road 1 (seems this has many names). See the rides - http://westernvstromgathering.weebly.com/rides.html

We'll check the Ruth Lake-Garberville road for the dirt riders. I have also heard that Usal Road is good.

Forest Rd 1...yup....

Usal Road is great and if you have the time visit Shelter Cove if weather is clear for a stunning view North of Lost Coast Kings Range and ocean...

Don't miss Whitethorn and over to coast from there...deep in grow country but very kool area and folks.

Long day ride but the town of Mendocino, just below Fort Bragg, and headlands there is best part of the coast..plus that ride from 101 on 1 is best curves in Mendo/Humbug. Bonus is a great dirt road back over from 1 on coast to 101 that comes out at Laytonville..

Tons of riding in those two counties..just explore and have fun!

Phil

Ps...Tourist may clog up the cool two lanes; lots of battle stars on the road in July
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
NoDad OP
Adventurer

New website URL

The URL of the website has changed. The new URL is V-Strom West Meet - Home It's not totally functional yet, as most pictures are lost, but as soon as I get a chance I'll put them back.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #11
NoDad OP
Adventurer

Wallowa - Those are all good suggestions. I'll have a look and see if we can integrate them.