ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #19741
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,651
In.
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #19742
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was
 
HellsAlien's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Baja Sur winter. PDX summer (that's like 6 wks!)
Oddometer: 2,204
Anywhere but India!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber
Hells AL is right.

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #19743
BSkye
Studly Adventurer
 
BSkye's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Right here.
Oddometer: 692
Monday

Ja! Definitely.
__________________
What others think of me is none of my business.
What I think of me is none of my business.

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #19744
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Wandering...
Oddometer: 358
Intro Post

Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #19745
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!
 
Mr. Fisherman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Packing the bus!
Oddometer: 10,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Welcome! Looking forward to the report and pics. Lots of great rides coming up. I haven't been to a meetup myself for a while now. I need to.

Check out the Hells Canyon ride.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #19746
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to the report and pics. Lots of great rides coming up. I haven't been to a meetup myself for a while now. I need to.

Check out the Hells Canyon ride.
What Fishy said and here's the link to the Hells Canyon gathering: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734889
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #19747
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????
 
asrvivor's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Boring! MORE COW BELL
Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...


Howdy feyala, welcome to the fold. Congrats on the bike. You picked a winner. Come to some meet ups and get only the best advice on where to ride and how to farkle that DR. . Or don't listen to anything anyone says and it will run forever.

Mark, you pick a place for Monday yet? IN
__________________
Staring straight into the shining sun....

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #19748
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider
 
Used2BeFast2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Welcome fellow DR rider! See u soon.
__________________

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #19749
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider
 
Used2BeFast2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, OR
Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I missed Thursday meet up, and will be getting on a plane on Tuesday to head to India.

Any interest in getting together Monday night before I leave? Weather looks to be great!

In....call it and we'll be there.
__________________

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #19750
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 11,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
...
My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Bring it like it is, we've had worse show up.

__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #19751
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Wandering...
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
Welcome! Looking forward to the report and pics. Lots of great rides coming up. I haven't been to a meetup myself for a while now. I need to.

Check out the Hells Canyon ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
What Fishy said and here's the link to the Hells Canyon gathering: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734889
Hey guys! Yeah, I think I remember you posting that ride when I popped into the Shortypants thread, Ladybug!

I definitely want to go (the photos are AWESOME!), I just tend to have a very chaotic life and as a result am fairly bad at planning in advance for things. For example, I didn't know I was going to Oklahoma to get a bike until about 2 days before I left on a bus, and I had no idea when I was going to be back until the day I decided I preferred a warm bed to camping another night out. I don't know if I'm going to end up getting a temp job between now and then to replenish my money, or if I can find some less-structured way to get funds, which I would definitely prefer. I might be able to sell off spare motorcycle bits from the previous owner to make up the shortfall - I shipped two boxes of various odds and ends home, lol!.

If I can manage to clear time for it, I'll definitely go though!


Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor
Howdy feyala, welcome to the fold. Congrats on the bike. You picked a winner. Come to some meet ups and get only the best advice on where to ride and how to farkle that DR. . Or don't listen to anything anyone says and it will run forever.
Hey! :)

One of the reasons I got this bike is it came largely pre-farkled... tm-40 carb, jetted with snorkel removed,, renazco seat, engine guard, skid plate, bark busters, IMS tank, progressive springs, pro taper bars and risers, promoto billet rack and saddlebag guards, bla bla bla. I paid a bit more than an '01 with 10,500 mi is worth simply because I didn't feel like adding all of that expensive crap myself, and I must admit, that seat is pretty damn nice...

I still need to do a few things... heated grips, usb charging port, add some kind of stand, make an instrument panel, add some hard luggage, paint the damn thing (looks like crap due to a bad rattlecan job). Bunch of maintenance too.. at this point the chain and sprockets are about done, and I need to swap the tires, change out brake/fork fluid, check valve clearances and timing, clean the carb, replace a few non-critical broken things, and make sure the wiring isn't going to bite me in the ass on my next long ride... but I'd probably do a bunch of that stuff with any used bike.

At least most of the stuff left on the "to do" list isn't hundreds of dollars! I'll be learning a lot as I go too, haha!

I might need to borrow some tools eventually...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeFast2
Welcome fellow DR rider! See u soon.
You got it!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #19752
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Wandering...
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Bring it like it is, we've had worse show up.
And yet, that still looks way more comfortable than the stock DR seat!!

I'm not worried about this thing looking pretty... I just don't want to push my luck. I have no idea how many thousands of miles the rear exhaust bracket has been missing, but I do know it wasn't there that day I followed the random guys I met on KLRs down a nasty rutty closed dirt road...

On the other hand, that safety wire is doing a bang-up job so far!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #19753
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ryel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
One of the reasons I got this bike is it came largely pre-farkled... tm-40 carb, jetted with snorkel removed,, renazco seat, engine guard, skid plate, bark busters, IMS tank, progressive springs, pro taper bars and risers, promoto billet rack and saddlebag guards, bla bla bla. I paid a bit more than an '01 with 10,500 mi is worth simply because I didn't feel like adding all of that expensive crap myself, and I must admit, that seat is pretty damn nice...

I still need to do a few things... heated grips, usb charging port, add some kind of stand, make an instrument panel, add some hard luggage, paint the damn thing (looks like crap due to a bad rattlecan job). Bunch of maintenance too.. at this point the chain and sprockets are about done, and I need to swap the tires, change out brake/fork fluid, check valve clearances and timing, clean the carb, replace a few non-critical broken things, and make sure the wiring isn't going to bite me in the ass on my next long ride... but I'd probably do a bunch of that stuff with any used bike.

At least most of the stuff left on the "to do" list isn't hundreds of dollars! I'll be learning a lot as I go too, haha!

I might need to borrow some tools eventually...




You got it!
Damn, I love the way this individual talks!
Ryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #19754
s1marks
Mercedes
 
s1marks's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Banks, Oregon.
Oddometer: 582
Radioman Mark - Pick a place for Monday and I am in. (Westside would be cool and breezy and easy er!)

Feyala - Get that DR, boyfriend and the XT over to hells Canyon - Plan your life around that and all the rest will come good!

Cheers S1
__________________
1975 Suzuki GT750A, 1986 Kawasaki KL600, 2001 BMW R1150GS, 2011 Husqvarna TE630
The Great Pacific Northwest SPOT map (Automatically updates in real-time) ; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
s1marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #19755
Radioman
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Monday night meet up.

OK you WET SIDERS. 5:30 or so-8PM


The Rock Creek Tavern might be a cool place, has tables and benches outside.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/243-rock-creek-tavern-home


Welcome Feyala. I will be riding from Lake Oswego 4:30 ish..... Live by Bryant Elementary.


See some of you then. Let others know if they might be interested!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014