ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #19741
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,651
In.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #19742
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,204
Anywhere but India!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #19743
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Monday

Ja! Definitely.

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #19744
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Intro Post

Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #19745
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Hey everybody! I just got back a few days ago from a month long, ~4k mile "bus and ride"... bussed out to Oklahoma and rode a 2001 DR650 back here. Was a real hoot, my Rebel 250 feels like a cracker jack toy now that I'm used to the bigger bike!

No ride report yet, I took a TON of photos and wrote journal entries, but it'll take me a bit to compile it into something worth reading.

I'm 28, been riding for about a year now, and currently living in Lake Oswego with my boyfriend. I'm trying to get him into dual sporting. He's got a Yamaha XT350 that we JUST managed to get turned over this evening, woo! (It hasn't fired up in years). We're both relative newbies to offroad, although I did ride some dirt during my adventure.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi! I'll probably try to make it to one of the meets around town at some point soonish, though I need to do some work on the bike after all that fun. My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Welcome! Looking forward to the report and pics. Lots of great rides coming up. I haven't been to a meetup myself for a while now. I need to.

Check out the Hells Canyon ride.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #19746
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to the report and pics. Lots of great rides coming up. I haven't been to a meetup myself for a while now. I need to.

What Fishy said and here's the link to the Hells Canyon gathering: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734889
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #19747
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:

Howdy feyala, welcome to the fold. Congrats on the bike. You picked a winner. Come to some meet ups and get only the best advice on where to ride and how to farkle that DR. . Or don't listen to anything anyone says and it will run forever.

Mark, you pick a place for Monday yet? IN

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #19748
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider

Oddometer: 570
Quote:

Welcome fellow DR rider! See u soon.

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #19749
Used2BeFast2
Chupacabra Rider

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I missed Thursday meet up, and will be getting on a plane on Tuesday to head to India.

Any interest in getting together Monday night before I leave? Weather looks to be great!

In....call it and we'll be there.

Cat herder....really!
Used2BeFast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #19750
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,651
Quote:
My exhaust is currently held on mostly with safety wire...
Bring it like it is, we've had worse show up.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #19751
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
What Fishy said and here's the link to the Hells Canyon gathering: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734889
Hey guys! Yeah, I think I remember you posting that ride when I popped into the Shortypants thread, Ladybug!

I definitely want to go (the photos are AWESOME!), I just tend to have a very chaotic life and as a result am fairly bad at planning in advance for things. For example, I didn't know I was going to Oklahoma to get a bike until about 2 days before I left on a bus, and I had no idea when I was going to be back until the day I decided I preferred a warm bed to camping another night out. I don't know if I'm going to end up getting a temp job between now and then to replenish my money, or if I can find some less-structured way to get funds, which I would definitely prefer. I might be able to sell off spare motorcycle bits from the previous owner to make up the shortfall - I shipped two boxes of various odds and ends home, lol!.

If I can manage to clear time for it, I'll definitely go though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor
Howdy feyala, welcome to the fold. Congrats on the bike. You picked a winner. Come to some meet ups and get only the best advice on where to ride and how to farkle that DR. . Or don't listen to anything anyone says and it will run forever.
Hey! :)

One of the reasons I got this bike is it came largely pre-farkled... tm-40 carb, jetted with snorkel removed,, renazco seat, engine guard, skid plate, bark busters, IMS tank, progressive springs, pro taper bars and risers, promoto billet rack and saddlebag guards, bla bla bla. I paid a bit more than an '01 with 10,500 mi is worth simply because I didn't feel like adding all of that expensive crap myself, and I must admit, that seat is pretty damn nice...

I still need to do a few things... heated grips, usb charging port, add some kind of stand, make an instrument panel, add some hard luggage, paint the damn thing (looks like crap due to a bad rattlecan job). Bunch of maintenance too.. at this point the chain and sprockets are about done, and I need to swap the tires, change out brake/fork fluid, check valve clearances and timing, clean the carb, replace a few non-critical broken things, and make sure the wiring isn't going to bite me in the ass on my next long ride... but I'd probably do a bunch of that stuff with any used bike.

At least most of the stuff left on the "to do" list isn't hundreds of dollars! I'll be learning a lot as I go too, haha!

I might need to borrow some tools eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2BeFast2
Welcome fellow DR rider! See u soon.
You got it!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #19752
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Bring it like it is, we've had worse show up.
And yet, that still looks way more comfortable than the stock DR seat!!

I'm not worried about this thing looking pretty... I just don't want to push my luck. I have no idea how many thousands of miles the rear exhaust bracket has been missing, but I do know it wasn't there that day I followed the random guys I met on KLRs down a nasty rutty closed dirt road...

On the other hand, that safety wire is doing a bang-up job so far!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #19753
Ryel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
One of the reasons I got this bike is it came largely pre-farkled... tm-40 carb, jetted with snorkel removed,, renazco seat, engine guard, skid plate, bark busters, IMS tank, progressive springs, pro taper bars and risers, promoto billet rack and saddlebag guards, bla bla bla. I paid a bit more than an '01 with 10,500 mi is worth simply because I didn't feel like adding all of that expensive crap myself, and I must admit, that seat is pretty damn nice...

I still need to do a few things... heated grips, usb charging port, add some kind of stand, make an instrument panel, add some hard luggage, paint the damn thing (looks like crap due to a bad rattlecan job). Bunch of maintenance too.. at this point the chain and sprockets are about done, and I need to swap the tires, change out brake/fork fluid, check valve clearances and timing, clean the carb, replace a few non-critical broken things, and make sure the wiring isn't going to bite me in the ass on my next long ride... but I'd probably do a bunch of that stuff with any used bike.

At least most of the stuff left on the "to do" list isn't hundreds of dollars! I'll be learning a lot as I go too, haha!

I might need to borrow some tools eventually...

You got it!
Damn, I love the way this individual talks!
Ryel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #19754
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 582
Radioman Mark - Pick a place for Monday and I am in. (Westside would be cool and breezy and easy er!)

Feyala - Get that DR, boyfriend and the XT over to hells Canyon - Plan your life around that and all the rest will come good!

Cheers S1
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #19755
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,945
Monday night meet up.

OK you WET SIDERS. 5:30 or so-8PM

The Rock Creek Tavern might be a cool place, has tables and benches outside.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/243-rock-creek-tavern-home

Welcome Feyala. I will be riding from Lake Oswego 4:30 ish..... Live by Bryant Elementary.

See some of you then. Let others know if they might be interested!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote