User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
RayS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Removing Starter Motor

I need some advice and guidance on removing the starter motor on my monolever 1987 R80GS please.

I've done the following so far:
1. removed the seat, fuel tank, the air filter cover, filter and starter motor cover
2. disconnected the -ve of the battery and removed the starter lead on the solenoid
3. removed front engine cover

At this point my Haynes manual says "unscrew the 2 mounting bolts from the motor rear end and then withdraw the motor" for the R80GS, R100GS etc, and for other models (including R80G/S?), it says "remove the 2 bolts at the rear of the starter motor and also the hexagonal bolt accessible in the timing chain cover, lift the motor clear of the housing"-

I can probably remove the nearside rear bolt OK but the offside one can't be reached because of the housing for the oil pressure relief valve.

Should I try and remove the solenoid first, I think that's tricky too because the oil pressure relief housing is in the way of one of the two screws.

I must be missing something here, any help or advice would be appreciated .....

Ray
RayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
If i'm reading your post correctly, the rubber or plastic tube that runs around in the space under the air filter is getting in the way.

I had to move those tubes out of the way and use a socket extension going THROUGH the rubber grommets to get the rear bolts out.

Rapid Dog was kind enough to take a picture of the procedure which can be seen here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=24

I have an r100 and don't know about the mention you made of a bolt accessible from the timing chain area. You might dig up Joerg and pm him or he might be along shortly.

Good luck!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
From memory: you have to remove the airfilter housing to access the two bolts. Removing the pressure relief valve doesn't get you anywhere.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
and uh... fill out your profile so we'll know where you are if we ever need to come and find you.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,498
Some airhead starters have the bracket going to the front not a big deal, I never had to remove the timing cover to get at it. But my memory isn't perfect. I think that may just be on the bosch starters. Otherwise just two other bolts holding the starter on. There is one that is hard to get to. I've had good luck with a little 1/4" breaker bar and a socket doing that one. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
And when you are re-installing the starter, switch the starter mounting bolts(hex heads) for the airbox/upper trans mounting bolts(Allens). Much easier to remove next time.
Why this never occured to the engineers is one of life's great mysteries.
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".

Motomech screwed with this post 03-26-2007 at 02:50 PM
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
RayS OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Wink

Thanks for the replies guys. I will remove the housing below the air filter as suggested, as I guess this would give more room for access and also replace those bolts with with hex screws.
Cheers
Ray
Profile now updated to include location in the UK
RayS is offline   Reply With Quote