ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
FrenchOnionSoup OP
Confirmed lunatic
 
FrenchOnionSoup's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Daytona Beach/Deltona
Oddometer: 64
Royal Enfield Electra Trial

The RE 500 T looks the part. Does anyone have any info on this bike? No I don't want to hear it's a piece of crap or anything like that. A lot of people out there love these bikes, so there's gotta be a good reawson for it. Also, Overdrive mag apparently had a story about a brand new engine for the bullet, a single but it doesn't share any parts with the Classic or the Electra.
Here's a link to the Trial articles;
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/electra05100400.html

http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/roadtest_arch.asp?id=43
__________________
I'm saving money for a bike, but the bikes I love aren't saving themselves for me... M'enfin!
FrenchOnionSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,274
this is the prettiest enfield in their new line for sure. i wouldn't mind having one around, or at least giving one a test ride.



Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchOnionSoup
The RE 500 T looks the part. Does anyone have any info on this bike? No I don't want to hear it's a piece of crap or anything like that. A lot of people out there love these bikes, so there's gotta be a good reawson for it. Also, Overdrive mag apparently had a story about a brand new engine for the bullet, a single but it doesn't share any parts with the Classic or the Electra.
Here's a link to the Trial articles;
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/electra05100400.html

http://www.inter-bike.co.uk/roadtest_arch.asp?id=43
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer
 
s10rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: around the world soon
Oddometer: 2,019
I'd love one too...
I bet in india U can get one for a 1000 $
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
bmwblake
upside down parker
 
bmwblake's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: nashville, tn
Oddometer: 3,274
just did the conversion. 3995 GBP is around 7800 USD.
that's just not gonna happen for many people.
if they were around 4-5k they might sell a few.



Quote:
Originally Posted by s10rat
I'd love one too...
I bet in india U can get one for a 1000 $
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
slaw
not me gov!
 
slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: colchester essex england
Oddometer: 202
Thumb great bike

if you dont want to go anywhere quick, the trials club i belong to, some of the guys still use original british made versions from the 40's 50's and 60's and they reckon they havent changed externaly. they dont go fast which is good cos they dont go round corners very well either, but they will get as far as any other motorcycle of road, and some fantastic mpg....
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
Straypuss
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: West of Scotland
Oddometer: 69
Pic from UKGSer
Straypuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #7
s10rat
Beastly Adventurer
 
s10rat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: around the world soon
Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaw
some fantastic mpg....
eventually u can transplant the diesel engine in there
s10rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
slaw
not me gov!
 
slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: colchester essex england
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straypuss
Pic from UKGSer
looks purposefull, dont it!!!
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
datchew
Don't buy from Brad
 
datchew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah - the dirty south
Oddometer: 7,408
man those new ones look really really cool.
However, if I only went for looks, I'd probably own a harley.

...er, wait a sec... i said go by looks... nevermind.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:24 AM   #10
slaw
not me gov!
 
slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: colchester essex england
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
man those new ones look really really cool.
However, if I only went for looks, I'd probably own a harley.

...er, wait a sec... i said go by looks... nevermind.
give me a harley flat tracker any day, they are cool
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #11
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Wasilla Alaska
Oddometer: 1,650
The Enfield trials kit is appealing to me-

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_trials.html

But I would have to find a pretty cheap donor bike for it to be worthwhile. It looks like there are enough upgrades available to make it decently roadworthy and reliable, but it would cost a lot and take some time.... the stage 2 engine is good for about 30 hp and would make highway cruising possible, for example, but requires changing a lot of bits. I could see it making a fun city and back road enduro, and a fun rock crawler.

On the other hand, last fall I bought a 250 Scorpa that makes more power, weighs half of what the Enfield would, and only set me back $600. It isn't street legal though- I'm considering removing the tub from my sidecar and replacing it with a tiedown rail to carry the scorpa to the riding areas.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
slaw
not me gov!
 
slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: colchester essex england
Oddometer: 202
trial bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick
The Enfield trials kit is appealing to me-

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/custom_trials.html

But I would have to find a pretty cheap donor bike for it to be worthwhile. It looks like there are enough upgrades available to make it decently roadworthy and reliable, but it would cost a lot and take some time.... the stage 2 engine is good for about 30 hp and would make highway cruising possible, for example, but requires changing a lot of bits. I could see it making a fun city and back road enduro, and a fun rock crawler.

On the other hand, last fall I bought a 250 Scorpa that makes more power, weighs half of what the Enfield would, and only set me back $600. It isn't street legal though- I'm considering removing the tub from my sidecar and replacing it with a tiedown rail to carry the scorpa to the riding areas.
most of the trial bike from years ago were developed from road going machines. and its suprising how a set of knobblys, some renthals and different mudgaurds can change the purpose of a machine...
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict
 
Cordless's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Oddometer: 2,007
Royal Enfield in India?

I have the opportunity to work in India for a while next year. Might be fun to obtain a new or used recent Royal Enfield and tootle about a bit. Only problems I can see are the suicidal driving of the average Indian, the crowded roads, the heat, and the fact that I am much too tall (at 197 cm, 6' 6") for the smaller Royal Enfields.

Still, might be fun to take some basic riding gear along and rent one for a long weekend.

Anyone know what the licensing requirements are for a foreigner riding in India?
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
slaw
not me gov!
 
slaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: colchester essex england
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallerman
I have the opportunity to work in India for a while next year. Might be fun to obtain a new or used recent Royal Enfield and tootle about a bit. Only problems I can see are the suicidal driving of the average Indian, the crowded roads, the heat, and the fact that I am much too tall (at 197 cm, 6' 6") for the smaller Royal Enfields.

Still, might be fun to take some basic riding gear along and rent one for a long weekend.

Anyone know what the licensing requirements are for a foreigner riding in India?

is there any driving laws over there
slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
datchew
Don't buy from Brad
 
datchew's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Savannah - the dirty south
Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallerman
I have the opportunity to work in India for a while next year. Might be fun to obtain a new or used recent Royal Enfield and tootle about a bit. Only problems I can see are the suicidal driving of the average Indian, the crowded roads, the heat, and the fact that I am much too tall (at 197 cm, 6' 6") for the smaller Royal Enfields.

Still, might be fun to take some basic riding gear along and rent one for a long weekend.

Anyone know what the licensing requirements are for a foreigner riding in India?
You have to like curry and be able to live without meat for awhile.
I have a good friend here at work from India. I'll ask him and let you know.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014