User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #61
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Switch With Off Position

Just put on the older CEV switch for the 640s. It works fine. I plugged on into a 625 SXC. Straight plug in and everything worked & was properly color coded. Here is a picture of one installed on my new '07 525 EXC.

This is a straight plug in and everything on the switch worked (except the kill button which you can just wire into the existing kill switch on the other side of the handlebar and have 2 of them). The wiring in the CEV switch doesn't match the 525 color code. Not a problem. On the 525 the only thing that did not work stock with the very cumbersome 950 switch that came on the 525 was the small 5W running light bulb in the headlight shell. I don't want it on all the time anyway so good riddance. (The 950 switch is located with a pin. If you file the pin off to relocate it to get more room for the clutch perch but it then spins on the bar. The CEV switch is half the width so the clutch can be repositioned comfortably for your reach and clamps down tightly and won't move.)

Stu
Attached Images

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #62
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Off position

You can now clearly see the dot on the top which is the OFF position for the headlight. If you have a dead battery, and the light is in this off position, you should be able to kickstart your bike to life.
Stu
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #63
BlitzBike
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Just put on the older CEV switch for the 640s. It works fine. I plugged on into a 625 SXC. Straight plug in and everything worked & was properly color coded. Here is a picture of one installed on my new '07 525 EXC.

This is a straight plug in and everything on the switch worked (except the kill button which you can just wire into the existing kill switch on the other side of the handlebar and have 2 of them). The wiring in the CEV switch doesn't match the 525 color code. Not a problem. On the 525 the only thing that did not work stock with the very cumbersome 950 switch that came on the 525 was the small 5W running light bulb in the headlight shell. I don't want it on all the time anyway so good riddance. (The 950 switch is located with a pin. If you file the pin off to relocate it to get more room for the clutch perch but it then spins on the bar. The CEV switch is half the width so the clutch can be repositioned comfortably for your reach and clamps down tightly and won't move.)

Stu
Anybody got a part number for the CEV switch??
Old 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #64
Stu
Buffo Maximus

CEV Part Number

The switch that I installed and that worked has two basic part numbers, one for the upper part and one for the lower turn signal part. There has been some discussion on another thread about the proper part numbers. Whatever. These work. They are:

CEV headlight switch: 503.11.070.000 about $62
CEV turnsignal switch: 503.11.029.000 about $51

Also note that Sicass Racing has a switch assembly that should work. It has an off position for the lights (looking at it on the web) and a turn signal switch for handlebars with hydraulic clutches (narrow). You can call them and ask. It is less money as well.

Sicass Bar Switch (complete): 26-040
Phone # 248.625.0187
www.sicassracing.com
Ask for Steve or John.

Stu
Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #65
Reinhold
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Just ordered a headlight switch (Europe) from Munns. He said that they are available through him.
Part # 600.11.074.000
Sixty plus dollars.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #66
DUKE II
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
REINHOLD, did you receive the KTM headlight switch Part # 600.11.074.000?, and were you able to make it work? Did it plug in, or did you have to run you own wires for the headlight circuit?
Also, was the switch housing the same color as our USA version?

Thanks
DUKE II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #67
Reinhold
No, not Messner

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKE II
REINHOLD, did you receive the KTM headlight switch Part # 600.11.074.000?, and were you able to make it work? Did it plug in, or did you have to run you own wires for the headlight circuit?
Also, was the switch housing the same color as our USA version?

Thanks
Plug and play. Looks exactly like the stock one on my 07 640A except it has the light switch. Works like a damn and easy to install.
Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #68
DUKE II
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Very cool Will have to order one myself!!

Thanks
DUKE II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #69
earthmover
Opinionated, me?

Oddometer: 225
How I wish I had read this before wasting an hour trying to fire my 640 after discovering that my battery was flat. Would start off a booster battery, but wouldn't kick or even bump start.
Checked the battery with a drop tester to find that it is u/s, so bought a new one. The problem I now have is that with a brand new, fully charged battery on, all I'm getting is a continuous clicking noise from the starter relay when I press the starter.
Any ideas?
Mark
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #70
cevquit
maphead

Oddometer: 637
it aint tru

I used to buy into all this "you cant kick it if the battery is dead flat", until thia last winter.
My Lc4 had an electrical system melt down, and required a rewire. Since I had to muddle my way through removing all the safety interlocks, and other wiring issuses, my battery got worked.
I have been kick start only for about 5 months now, left foot, right foot, what ever. Its the hardest to start on a cold morning, but i can kick start it within a few minutes now.
Its all about charging the cylinder,
This is my refined method for cold starting;
choke on full
no throttle
pull in manual decomp
kick a bunch (dozen times)
dont stop let out the decomp and kick hard and fast
if it doesnt start
repeat
I can usually start mine by the third cycle even when dead cold.

I dont even look for TDC 90% of the time anymore,l just kick it.

One thing I have noticed, that when your jetting is too lean the lc4 is hard to kick start.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:48 AM   #71
earthmover
Opinionated, me?

Oddometer: 225
So why wouldn't mine start down a long tarmac hill in 5th with the engine turning over like a good'un? When I gave up and pushed it home, there was barely enough life in the battery for the neutral light.
Mark
earthmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #72
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
Call me crazy but...

My 06 will start with the key turned just out of the lock position. This does not turn on any lights or the dash. I haven't tried it with a dead battery but I'll bet it would work.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #73
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640
Call me crazy but...
You're crazy.

And I hafta try that. My battery went bone dead a couple weeks ago after I forgot to turn the key off. Kicked that thing for a good 15 minutes without so much as a sputter. Usually I can get it started with one kick, so it aint out of tune and I hardly need any choke/enricher to start it cold, so it isn't too lean either. (in theory, anyway)

Would sure love to have it start with no juice aside from it's charging system.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 PM   #74
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640

My 06 will start with the key turned just out of the lock position. This does not turn on any lights or the dash. I haven't tried it with a dead battery but I'll bet it would work.
I walked out the garage and tried this with my 03 LC4a. I can't find this spot where the dash don't light up but the bike will start. In the spot between steering lock and off my dash lights up w/out headlights and the starter will turn - but I'd still have to turn the key past off to run.

I don't have gas at the moment so I couldn't try this and see if a quick turn would keep the bike running. I guess you could run the bike in (is this called?) accessory mode, but I still am leaning towards adding a switch to turn off the headlight(s) while in run mode.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #75
riverside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Well, I know about the CEV switch since my 380 and 525 run them. I bought a Euro version of the right hand switch that has the headlight oof/on switch in it from a guy here on the forum. It does not plug into an '02 wiring Harness. Anyone do a retro fit on one of these and know where to splice in? I am guessing this cam off an '05- newer bike and the harnesses are different. Any ideas?
'00 321 TXT Gas Gas trials- Will be learning FOREVER!
riverside is offline   Reply With Quote