Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #91
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
So you did or did not disconnect the headlights before attempting to kickstart? I didn't get the special ignition position (sans lux) to work for me, so I just disconnected the low beam headlight wire from the bulb.

I don't know about bump starting an adventure (dorkpunch has an Enduro model so it might be different ) on a dead battery WITH the headlights hooked up. You will have better luck with the headlights disconnected or off with a special switch.

WestCo batteries seem to be OK, and they plop right in. Odyssey batteries do not plop right in, but I have been happy with mine. Yuasa are great batteries too; don't blame them for any woes.
Thanks for the reply meat.My 06 640 adv.I was trying to kick it with the key turned to headlight mode on and it would not start,then after checking this thread I saw that guys where having luck with key turned one click to right of lock and the bike will start without the lights on.I have not tried to kick it in this mode yet,next time.With battery as low as it was being the dumd arse I am trying to kick it with lights on certainly didnt do the battery any favors of coarse,killed it real quick.So next time I'm gonna check that out, if it will kick with battery low in in lights off mode.But Im looking for new battery at the moment.Any recommended place to pick up the Westcos/Yuasa in the california region?Also have you had luck kicking yours over with battery low in lights Off mode?Thanks PBD
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
pitbull doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #92
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug
... Im looking for new battery at the moment.Any recommended place to pick up the Westcos/Yuasa in the california region?

Also have you had luck kicking yours over with battery low in lights Off mode?Thanks PBD
I buy this kind of stuff off the internet. My Odyssey battery did come from a guy in Gilroy, CA but I doubt he carries anything else. Remember the Odyssey is not plug n' play.

I have had no luck with this secret squirrel lights off position... but I can easily pop the back cover off the lights, disconnect the wire to the bulb (ensuring the shroud covers the spade so it doesn't ground out and blow a fuse), and have started my bike after it sat for over 6 months off the charger. The Odyssey was still "lighting" the lights/dash, but the joy button just giggled at me. Disconnected the headlights, and had no problem kicking her over.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #93
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I buy this kind of stuff off the internet. My Odyssey battery did come from a guy in Gilroy, CA but I doubt he carries anything else. Remember the Odyssey is not plug n' play.

I have had no luck with this secret squirrel lights off position... but I can easily pop the back cover off the lights, disconnect the wire to the bulb (ensuring the shroud covers the spade so it doesn't ground out and blow a fuse), and have started my bike after it sat for over 6 months off the charger. The Odyssey was still "lighting" the lights/dash, but the joy button just giggled at me. Disconnected the headlights, and had no problem kicking her over.
Meat I think the secret squirrel is probably a 05-07 change in switch?because it no doubts works on mine 06.What year is yours?Also where do you get your stuff online,munz racing in texas?Just curious THanks PBD
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
Old 10-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #94
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull doug
Meat I think the secret squirrel is probably a 05-07 change in switch?because it no doubts works on mine 06.What year is yours?Also where do you get your stuff online,munz racing in texas?Just curious THanks PBD
munz is groovy; KTMtalk discount.

2003 so maybe KTM changed the switch. What I really care about is why we don't get the Euro switch package, with the freakin' off switch.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #95
pitbull doug
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
munz is groovy; KTMtalk discount.

2003 so maybe KTM changed the switch. What I really care about is why we don't get the Euro switch package, with the freakin' off switch.
Got that right,agreed.Seems like us Americanos always get the short end of the stick when it comes to our beloved orange machines!
13 ktm 500 exc
01 Honda cr500
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #96
meat popsicle
Ignostic

probably some half-baked regulation...
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #97
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
probably some half-baked regulation...
It's federal law since 1980-something.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #98
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
It's federal law since 1980-something.
Do you have some explanation for why Luke? I do much better with why.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #99
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,586
Hi Meaty.

If it's anything like over here, the guvvvmint decided that we should all ride with our lights on so car drivers might see us better. So, if your lights have to be on compulsorily, you don't need an off switch. That's what we got here, and there's a generation of bikes with no way of turning the lights off.
Interestingly, that stance has been abandoned lately, and now some bikes again have an off switch for the lights, as does my 2003 640A, but not my 2002 GS1150.
That's what I love about guvvmints, today it's good for you, yesterday it was bad for you. What changed? Some senior public servant had nothing to do, so they just think up arbitrary stuff to mimic real activity.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #100
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Hi Meaty.

If it's anything like over here, the guvvvmint decided that we should all ride with our lights on so car drivers might see us better. So, if your lights have to be on compulsorily, you don't need an off switch. That's what we got here, and there's a generation of bikes with no way of turning the lights off.
Interestingly, that stance has been abandoned lately, and now some bikes again have an off switch for the lights, as does my 2003 640A, but not my 2002 GS1150.
That's what I love about guvvmints, today it's good for you, yesterday it was bad for you. What changed? Some senior public servant had nothing to do, so they just think up arbitrary stuff to mimic real activity.
Hi Silla

That's what I was thinking, but it is a piss-poor way of implementing. Maybe it's easier to take away personal choice, but you also take personal responsibility at the same time. I think this is an example of the Nanny State so derided by Libertarians here.

Responsibility must first be offered before it can be taken.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #101
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Do you have some explanation for why Luke? I do much better with why.

What GodSilla said.

It's part of the laws that say bikes must have turn signals, a horn, sidestand interlocks, etc. The Federal Saftey sticker that goes on the bike next to the emissions sticker is certifying that the bike meets all these fed standards. There are a lot of them, but there are a lot less for bikes than there are for cars.

The federal law only covers the equipment. It's up to the states to decide if you have to use it. OR requires bikes to have their headlights on at all times, IIRC CA doesn't.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #102
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
another option

switch from a 95 RXC-e, (obviously sold in the States). It has the on/off/park switch. Sneaky KTM disabled it by installing it with one extra long screw that locks it in the on position. A clever person can defeat this trick by simply installing it with a normal length screw. The long screw is shown in my fingers and is a conspicuous zinc finish whilst the normal ones are black oxide finish. but don't tell the feds.

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #103
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,489
Re: lights on. NZ is about to get this crap, buried in the back of a block of legislation banning hand-held cellphone use. ie where it is little-known and little-publicised. They are not mandating switchless lights, but rather that it is law that the rider must have them on.

Back in Australia (hi Godsilla) in the early nineties, ADR 19.01 (Australian Design Rule "Lights On") was pushed through by a federal minister who allegedly had a bee in his bonnet about it due to a personal grievance. Some of the biggest protests ever staged in Australia were over this legislation, such that some of the states suggested they wouldn't implement the federal guideline. In the end, they capitulated and it was law for a while, since repealed.

At the time I followed the issue closely, read LOTS of material on the issue. The state of Victoria commissioned their own comprehensive study - I bought a copy of it, it makes very interesting reading about the whole issue of "being seen", what works, what doesn't, and when "being safe" is different to "being seen". It simply backed up virtually every other study done on the issue: it don't work, and it isn't worth it. They stated that the best way forward was to spend money on an education campaign to encourage riders to turn their lights on when the situation demanded it.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #104
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Simple :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrgI55-yl8A

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #105
mazuko
mazuko

Oddometer: 5
I found great way to fully discharge the battery

Install heated hand grips, and then switch to low instead of off when you arrive at work...

Went out to run some errands at lunch......Nuthin, tried kicking, bumping more kicking...smacked my shin on the footpeg for good measure....nuthin

Luckily I know a fella with a battery charger nearby...

I need to figure out how to link the grip heaters to the ignition, I have a bad feeling this will happen again.
mazuko is offline   Reply With Quote