ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Oddometer: 44
Logan Ohio... Wayne National Forest... BIG GS RIDERS... Don't Be Scared

UPDATE: (December BMW ON Magazine Article On Wayne National Forest Attached)... I want to recommend some great riding trails here in Ohio that some people may not have considered.... Do you ride a Big GS Adventure Bike...??? Do you enjoy off road riding...??? Well Whatever You May Have Heard, Don't Be Intimidated Or Reluctant To Ride The Trails In Wayne National Forest...

I bought my R1200 GSA this past March... It was my attempt to combine my old Motocross Racing days back in high school to my love of riding on the best twisty back country roads I could find on my Harley... I would take my GSA to our first rally together that same month... When I returned to Ohio from riding at the March Moto Madness rally in Tellico Plains TN, I decided to do some online searching for places in Ohio which allowed ATV trail riding. That's when I came across Wayne National Forest.

From all the online searches Wayne National Forest (WNF) looked like the perfect place to ride my GSA, it was pretty close (1 hour away) it had plenty of trails to ride, but from all the pictures and images posted, I never saw a Big GS Bike riding the trails. So I asked as few friends what they thought about me riding my GSA through WNF... All the reactions were pretty much the same... "You're Crazy"... "You Can't Ride Big Bikes In Wayne"... "Those Are Just Not Trails For GS Bikes"

So after considering my friends points of views about WNF... I simply just ignored them, went to Iron Pony and bought a season's pass. I had no idea if I was even going to be able to ride the trails that day, never mind ride them throughout the season... but I was determined to Go Big or Go Home

An hour later I arrived at the New Straitsville Trailhead... As I approached the entrance to the Main Corridor Trail I thought, DAMN... I should have taken off my panniers... VERY rookie mistake that would catch up to me on the trail...

Let me share my "First" ride through Wayne National Forest with you... Since that day I have hit the trails both literally & figuratively more than 2 dozen times this year... Sit back and have a laugh or two and see just how awesome Wayne National Forest is for riding a Big GS Bike through...

Wayne National Forest from Chad Warner on Vimeo.

If You Think You Can or You Think You Can't...You're Right...

SEMPER-Fi
2008 Harley Davidson 96,000+ Miles
2009 BMW R1200 GSA 36,000+ Miles

LivnLif2TheFulst screwed with this post 12-16-2014 at 07:13 PM
LivnLif2TheFulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

So once I rode through WNF a couple times I was hooked. The trails are great and I found nothing too technical for the Big GS Bikes... However, I did come across a load of crazy stares from other riders... They couldn't believe they were seeing such a Big Bike on the trails in Wayne... I was even stopped on my first day of riding by a Park Ranger checking for permits... he just started laughing He said, "I Have Never Seen One Of Those Bikes On These Trails"

I really don't know why so many people including my friends are reluctant about riding through WNF... or where these stories of the undoable trails for Big GS Bikes came from.... Several friends now ride with me on a regular basis on their Big GS Bikes in Wayne... We have had a blast, when conditions are right, WNF is some of the best off road riding I have done here in Ohio by far...

Now that being said... if the trails are wet & muddy it is a "much" more challenging adventure ride... as this video will show

GS Giants Taking On Wayne National Forest from Chad Warner on Vimeo.

SEMPER-Fi

LivnLif2TheFulst screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 05:20 AM
Old 11-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Of course there are days you just want to have a Little Bit of Crazy Fun out on the trails... and Wayne National Forest lets you do that... Who said you can't "Jump" a Big GS Adventure Bike...

"Jump" from Chad Warner on Vimeo.

SEMPER-Fi
Old 11-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Ive ridden my klr thru there lots of times, not as nimble as a smaller bike but still a great ride
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbowling View Post
Ive ridden my klr thru there lots of times, not as nimble as a smaller bike but still a great ride
Happy to know there are a few of us out there enjoying Wayne on the Big Bikes...

SEMPER-Fi
Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
B-Mac
Aged Beef

Oddometer: 623
Trail Ride Big Bike WNF Monday creek

Chad, Great ride report. Wayne can be a fun and challenging time on big bikes. You are so right about riding Wayne in the wet I will take the dust on a weekday ride with my V-Strom but not the rutted sloppy wet. B.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac View Post
Chad, Great ride report. Wayne can be a fun and challenging time on big bikes. You are so right about riding Wayne in the wet I will take the dust on a weekday ride with my V-Strom but not the rutted sloppy wet. B.
B-Mac...

Wayne's Wet Clay gets me every time when there are wet conditions...

And you are right, if people are able, a "weekday" is absolutely the way to do any riding in Wayne... Sunny, nice weekends are WAY too busy on the trails.

SEMPER-Fi
Old 11-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

I Hope Some Big GS Bikes Try Wayne

From all my riding this year in Wayne National Forest, I have come to believe so many more GS Adventure Riders would thoroughly enjoy riding the trails. And although trail conditions based on weather can add to the challenges on the trails, for "me" that just adds to the Adventure.

You can spend a whole day out on the trails wether you travel from North to South or vice versa. Riding with a friend or two will make for a great day of riding through Wayen's trails.

Here is another look at some of the trails a buddy of mine rode in Wayne National Forest.

Wailin Wayne Preview 2014 from Chad Warner on Vimeo.

SEMPER-Fi
Old 11-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLif2TheFulst View Post
I have come to believe so many more GS Adventure Riders would thoroughly enjoy riding the trails. e
I think you might be preaching to the choir

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon View Post
I think you might be preaching to the choir
Dragoon... I just never see any other Big GS Bikes riding in Wayne... I even organized an event last year to invite Big GS bikes to ride the trails... had a dozen riders show up... a few of the riders said they were told "not" or "couldn't" ride the trails in Wayne...

I just hope more Adventure bike riders see by the videos that Wayne is a fun place to take the Big GS bikes...

SEMPER-Fi
Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #11
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLif2TheFulst View Post
Dragoon... I just never see any other Big GS Bikes riding in Wayne... I even organized an event last year to invite Big GS bikes to ride the trails... had a dozen riders show up... a few of the riders said they were told "not" or "couldn't" ride the trails in Wayne...

I just hope more Adventure bike riders see by the videos that Wayne is a fun place to take the Big GS bikes...
got it. I thought you were talking about riding on Trails in general. Now that I think about it I've never ridden my bike at wayne, ill have to try it sometime. Carry on and never mind me

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:15 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,861
There are a lot of us who have ridden big bikes in the Wayne and other places in southern and southeastern, Ohio.

Maybe it's gotten better, but the WNF had become so busy and whoop'd out that it really wasn't as much fun as other places.

There are some great unmaintained roads in the area that are fun to ride as well.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
There are a lot of us who have ridden big bikes in the Wayne and other places in southern and southeastern, Ohio.

Maybe it's gotten better, but the WNF had become so busy and whoop'd out that it really wasn't as much fun as other places.

There are some great unmaintained roads in the area that are fun to ride as well.
Hey 9Dave...

You are right about Wayne being too busy on the trails at times... Luckily I was able to enjoy most of my rides during the week rather then the weekends... makes a BIG difference... and that would be the best time to ride if one can do so during the week... there are still some areas that are "whoop'd" out... and I enjoy hitting those great unmaintained roads as well...

But overall my riding experiences this year in Wayne were all positive... of the 2 dozen or so times I rode this year in Wayne, I never came across another Big GS bike on the trails... my hope is more riders will try Wayne or try riding it again next season...

If there are some fun trails you know about, please share, I would love to hear about them... I am always up for exploring new trails...

SEMPER-Fi
Old 12-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #14
LivnLif2TheFulst OP
An Adventurous Soul

Last Weekend Of The Season

This is the last weekend of the season to "ride" the trails in Wayne National Forest...

Trails close at midnight Dec 15th & open up again April 15th...

SEMPER-Fi
Old 12-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
toadl
toadl

Oddometer: 857
I know you may think it's impossible, but in the next few years you're going to buy a MX bike.
Deny it, but deep down you know I'm right.