ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #6286
Keytime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty
But now that I have a dual purpose bike I wouldn't mind trying some tame trails. I've got lots of mountain bike single track experience but I've never been on a dirt bike before. I was going to take the MSF dirt bike school early in July but the timing was bad.

Like I said. I've only got about 4000 miles of total motorcycle experience since I started last year. Is this something I should sit out for awhile, or is there a good way to get my feet wet, er.. dirty?
My $.02. Get out on some trails on a light dirtbike to hone your skills. Something you can manhandle a little bit. Work on proper technique with that first, and then work your way up. IMO, too many people start offroad on bikes that are too big or powerful.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #6287
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytime
My $.02. Get out on some trails on a light dirtbike to hone your skills. Something you can manhandle a little bit. Work on proper technique with that first, and then work your way up. IMO, too many people start offroad on bikes that are too big or powerful.
I have to agree with that. My first "off road" bike was a R1150GS. Wonderful bike, and all the power you could ask for, but it was so big that I was afraid to take it anywhere challenging. I'm impressed with how well Gordon handles his, but the KLR650 is about all I can handle. Something smaller still would be great. My bro-in-law has a Yamaha XT350 that he uses to shuttle back and forth to his campsite when he goes fishing. I've ridden it a few times and I think something like that would be ideal. I bought the KLR because I was trying to fill several biking niches at once, and that's what fit my budget.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #6288
EvilBetty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Yeah that would be ideal. In the places I grew up you would have thought I would have had ample oportunities to ride dirt bikes but I never had a friend that owned one.

How small is too small? I'd like to get something cheap but I don't think a 250 will cut it for a guy of my size (6'2" / 240#).

2007 Triumph Tiger ABS
EvilBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #6289
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
How small is too small? I'd like to get something cheap but I don't think a 250 will cut it for a guy of my size (6'2" / 240#).
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #6290
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,432
So, was that a real Sasquatch sighting, or is it photoshopped?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #6291
iyeager
I lost my avatar...

Oddometer: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyeager
...if I can get time off from the soulless great machine.
iyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #6292
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #6293
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
My first bike was a 1000 Vstrom. I took it slow and kept pushing myself into harder and harder stuff. With friends around you feel safer, but sometimes I'd get out on my own and get into trouble. The great thing about that is you HAVE to find a way out of it.

I'm sure that smaller bike dirt experience would help to a degree, but a big bike behaves totally different than a small bike. I've tooled around on a couple of members smaller bikes, 650, 525's, etc. and while they'd be more fun they reduce the adventure factor greatly. There's just something about taking a big bike down that type of terrain.

I think it was slap07 where I got hooked watching CJ take his 1200GS through that creek bottom. I turned back there and promissed myself that I'd get the skills to do that. Now I'd flog my strom, if I had it, right through there.

CJ's 1200 is pointing straight at where Brian's DRZ is laying down. That DRZ was showroom fresh that day. Anyway, CJ went down into that ditch and launched out the other side... and when I say launched, I mean launched.
McB and I turned back here. We'd already come down a couple hundred yards of rutted deep weeded abandoned road. Great times.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #6294
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,534

Tim,
Depending on what your going to use the bike for.
If more dirt I'd highly suggest some TKCs/606/mt21
something with knobbies. Surface changes too much
, from mud/sand/gravel on top of hard pack. I'm running
tkcs on my DR, I'm amazed at how hard you can push'em
on pavement. Trade off is you'll only get 3-4000 miles out
of a rear tire, double that on the front.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #6295
Tank Girl
Epikia

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
But now that I have a dual purpose bike I wouldn't mind trying some tame trails. I've got lots of mountain bike single track experience but I've never been on a dirt bike before. I was going to take the MSF dirt bike school early in July but the timing was bad.

Like I said. I've only got about 4000 miles of total motorcycle experience since I started last year. Is this something I should sit out for awhile, or is there a good way to get my feet wet, er.. dirty?
I suspect I will regret saying this... but CJ was right

Mountain bike experience can be really helpful when going off road.

Going down to SLAP this year to ride trails for the first time, I found many of the riding techniques transfer over.
I had about the same amount of street miles as you, and was surprised how comfortable it was to be on the trails.
Even on a bike that was way too big for me (laid down on multiple occasions, sometimes witnessed by kind souls who helped pick it up), the familiarity with body shifting goes a long way.
Once I got on something with a lower seat - in this case a much smaller Honda TLR - I had more fun than I would have ever imagined.
Go out with someone, like G suggested. You'll love it.

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god."
Tank Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #6296
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank Girl
I suspect I will regret saying this... but CJ was right

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #6297
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
yet again, and again, and again,

Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #6298
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFarmer
yet again, and again, and again,

Just jealous 'cuz you were there.

Bitch.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #6299
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee
Tim,
Depending on what your going to use the bike for.
If more dirt I'd highly suggest some TKCs/606/mt21
something with knobbies. Surface changes too much
, from mud/sand/gravel on top of hard pack. I'm running
tkcs on my DR, I'm amazed at how hard you can push'em
on pavement. Trade off is you'll only get 3-4000 miles out
of a rear tire, double that on the front.
Yeah, I had those on the GS and loved them. Kept me going in the wimpy stuff I used to ride in and could have done a lot more. The thing that amazed me was how well they did in the twisties! The KLR's got nothin' on the R1150GS in the handling department! I shagged the front in just 2-3k miles, mostly due to a semi-hungup right front caliper.

So far I'm quite happy with the performance of the stock tires, don't even know what they are off hand. They're not nearly as agressive as the TKCs, but they're pretty good dual-sports. After I get through break-in and can actually push the engine I may be looking for replacements. Right now I'm working on farkling, storage, and necessities like a good flat kit. I've never had to deal with one on a tubed-tire. Aybody got suggestions?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #6300
2whelman
addict

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84thProblem
Yeah, I had those on the GS and loved them. Kept me going in the wimpy stuff I used to ride in and could have done a lot more. The thing that amazed me was how well they did in the twisties! The KLR's got nothin' on the R1150GS in the handling department! I shagged the front in just 2-3k miles, mostly due to a semi-hungup right front caliper.

So far I'm quite happy with the performance of the stock tires, don't even know what they are off hand. They're not nearly as agressive as the TKCs, but they're pretty good dual-sports. After I get through break-in and can actually push the engine I may be looking for replacements. Right now I'm working on farkling, storage, and necessities like a good flat kit. I've never had to deal with one on a tubed-tire. Aybody got suggestions?

You will be looking at a rear tire much sooner than you think. I got about 2200 miles out of mine. 750 Dunlops.
Riders Warehouse sells several good tire repair kits. I have 3-4 different ones in different bikes.
There are a lot of options on storage, and well, farkling a KLR has no limits.
2whelman is offline   Reply With Quote