Oddometer: 580

Ten weeks until opening day!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #2537
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Indiana
Well, at this point with no contract in place, he's no more a Yankee than he is a Ranger, Blue Jay or member of the Red Sox. I think he'll always be thought of and tied to the Red Sox in the minds of many if not most baseball fans. Going into the Hall of Fame with the Boston hat would only reinforce that.

Clemens has stated that he "will go into the hall wearing a Yankmee's hat".... although at this point, I'd say that's very much in jeopardy.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #2538
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Clemens has stated that he "will go into the hall wearing a Yankmee's hat".... although at this point, I'd say that's very much in jeopardy.
If Roger Clemens goes into the Hall of Fame, he'll go in with whatever hat the Hall decides to put on him. He's the one responsible for players who played for more than one team no longer being able to decide which hat they'll be wearing.

Clemens literally sold the right to choose which hat he'd wear to George Steinbrenner of the Yankees and the Hall of Fame immediately changed their long standing policy of letting players who'd played for more than one team decide which hat they wanted to wear.

Clemens has said (about the Hall of Fame), "I play 20 years, work my tail off, theyre not going to tell me what hat Im wearing. I promise you that. There might be a vacant seat there. Ill take my mother and well go to Palm Springs and invite all yall and well have our own celebration."

At this point, Clemens can pick the hat he wants and wear it in Palm Springs all he wants. I'm just not so sure there will be a vacant seat in Cooperstown when he does.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #2539
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

No comments yet on Clemens' 44 page "proof" that he couldn't have taken any steroids, HGH or PED's?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #2540
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Nine weeks until opening day!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #2541
Chacifer OP
sui generis

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:
No comments yet on Clemens' 44 page "proof" that he couldn't have taken any steroids, HGH or PED's?
I don't know that Clemens continually bringing up this topic or providing "proof" is really helping him. Frankly, I'm more focused on football right now, and the fact that Clemens keeps bringing the focus back to himself just indicates to me that he's got a guilty conscience or he's panicking about something.
The repercussions of these allegations are what? loss of respect? stripping of titles (doubtful)? financial?
I think a lot of people were prepared to pretend he was never implicated in this thing, but he just won't let it go.

Quote:
I live in "Sport Mode"
Chacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #2542
Chacifer OP
sui generis

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:

Nine weeks until opening day!

Quote:
I live in "Sport Mode"
Chacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:58 PM   #2543
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacifer
I don't know that Clemens continually bringing up this topic or providing "proof" is really helping him. Frankly, I'm more focused on football right now, and the fact that Clemens keeps bringing the focus back to himself just indicates to me that he's got a guilty conscience or he's panicking about something.
The repercussions of these allegations are what? loss of respect? stripping of titles (doubtful)? financial?
I think a lot of people were prepared to pretend he was never implicated in this thing, but he just won't let it go.
I agree, Chace. If he'd have simply said and done nothing from the start, I'm sure I'd have about forgotten about it by now.

As it is and has been, though, he's put himself squarely in the eye of the media and fans everywhere with his ridiculous act. As you probably know better than most, it seems as though people almost never get in trouble for the act itself. It's always the cover-up that gets them.

Look at Nixon & Clinton. It wasn't their acts for which they'll be remembered, but their cover-ups. Clemens is going to be the same way. Congress may not be as kind as his old buddy, Mike Wallace.

I like Clemens, but he's not done himself any favors.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #2544
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Just read the posts from the Red Sox fans. Clemens doesn't talk about it--proves he's guilty. Clemens does talk about it--proves he's guilty. Clemens goes on 60 Min.--proves he's guilty. Clemens agrees to testify before Congress--proves he's guilty. Clemens holds a press confeence--proves he's guilty. I get it. You can't stand the fact that he won his rings with the Yankees. Get over yourselves.

G-man17 screwed with this post 02-02-2008 at 05:05 PM
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #2545
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man17
Just read the posts from the Red Sox fans. Clemens doesn't talk about it--proves he's guilty. Clemens does talk about it--proves he's guilty. Clemens goes on 60 Min.--proves he's guilty. Clemens agrees to testify before Congress--proves he's guilty. Clemens holds a press confeence--proves he's guilty. I get it. You can't stand the fact that he one his rings with the Yankees. Get over yourselves.
Yankees Suck (at spelling)!

Go Red Sox!!
Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #2546
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,852
Quote:
I agree, Chace. If he'd have simply said and done nothing from the start, I'm sure I'd have about forgotten about it by now.

As it is and has been, though, he's put himself squarely in the eye of the media and fans everywhere with his ridiculous act. As you probably know better than most, it seems as though people almost never get in trouble for the act itself. It's always the cover-up that gets them.

Look at Nixon & Clinton. It wasn't their acts for which they'll be remembered, but their cover-ups. Clemens is going to be the same way. Congress may not be as kind as his old buddy, Mike Wallace.

I like Clemens, but he's not done himself any favors.
Sorry. Ther was no chance of this being forgotten had he just kept quiet. Plenty more to come from this.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #2547
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
Yankees Suck (at spelling)!

Go Red Sox!!
Thanks for the edit Kamala!