Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #3241
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
I think, if they are able to land Teixeira, they will showcase Lowell, demonstrating his hip is fine, during spring training and preseason in an effort to trade him.
I couldn't agree more with that assessment. It's the only way to be able to get value for him. One plus for a potential trading partner is that he has two years remaining on his existing contract, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine
Jeepers, here it is only December, and already the stove is plenty hot.
Yep, and the winter meetings start tomorrow morning!
I love this stuff!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #3242
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Action in Vegas already...

None of the names that we've talked about on here who were offered arbitration have accepted it.

One I've mentioned that I'd like to see the Sox pick up has been affected by a trade made in Vegas, already. It would appear that my idea of acquiring Jarrod Saltalamchia from the Texas Rangers is not going to happen. The Rangers just traded their other catcher, Gerald Laird, to the Detroit Tigers.

Apparently, the Rangers like Saltalamachia as much as I do because it appears that they're going to rely on him to handle their catching duties this season. Laird fills a void behind the plate for the Tigers left when the Tigers traded Pudge Rodriguez to the Yankees last season when Jorge Posada went down with an injury. Ironically, Pudge went down as well after a short while in New York.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 AM   #3243
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Conspiracy Theory

I can't help but notice that Gerald Laird, the catcher traded from the Rangers to Detroit late last night, is represented by Scott Boras, as are Jason Varitek and Mark Teixeira.

The trade of Laird essentially took Jarrod Saltalamachia off the table as a replacement for Varitek and puts the Sox in a position where they need Varitek back even more than 24 hours ago.

Rumors abound that Boras is trying to essentially 'package' Varitek and Mark Teixeira in a deal with the Red Sox. Of course, there are rules against packaging players. Even if there weren't, doing so is rife with opportunities for impropriety and unethical behavior.

Of course, we are talking about Scott Boras here.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #3244
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,464
I wish the league would spend half the effort they put into investigating Barry Bonds onto looking into Boras' alleged transgressions. I suspect the return on investment would be much higher.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #3245
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
I wish the league would spend half the effort they put into investigating Barry Bonds onto looking into Boras' alleged transgressions. I suspect the return on investment would be much higher.
Right on!

Especially since Bonds and baseball are through while Boras can be a plague on the game for decades to come.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #3246
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

While Theo Epstein has been quoted as not expecting to do anything in these winter meetings in Las Vegas, rumors still abound to the contrary.

Supposedly there was a meeting with him, Francona and CC Sabathia & his agent. I'm still of the belief that CC will end up in either San Francisco or possibly Oakland.

I read that Peter Gammons still believes the Sox could trade for Saltalamachia despite the Rangers' having just traded a catcher to the Tigers.

The Red Sox have also supposedly spokend to the Indians about Kelly Shoppach, who came up throught the Sox farm system. Cleveland is looking for some help at third base, so, maybe, if...

I'm still of the opinion that we'll have Varitek back behind the plate next season. Am I on an island with that belief?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #3247
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

CC Sabathia has reportedly agreed to sign a SEVEN year, $140 Million contract with the Yankees. They have also put a four year, $66 Million offer on the table for Derek Lowe. NY Newsday reported yesterday that the Yankees also plan to top the Braves' current offer for AJ Burnett. I'd think that would be put on hold with the Sabathia signing and the Lowe offer still on the table.

There have been some rumors about the Red Sox and each of those three pitchers through the week but very little in terms of offers or even potential terms being discussed.

No real news on Teixeira at this point, either. The Angels are very interested in keeping him and I always hate to bet against the incumbent.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #3248
Chacifer OP
sui generis

Oddometer: 6,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Indiana
I'm still of the opinion that we'll have Varitek back behind the plate next season. Am I on an island with that belief?

I suspect you're right on this one. He's a team leader, he catches well... there's just that problem with his hitting, but that can be worked on, can't it?! right?! can't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I live in "Sport Mode"
Chacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #3249
Dbear
Hanging on

Oddometer: 14,857
I believe the Sox are petitioning the league to allow a DH for catchers as well...

Dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #3250
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

The Red Sox picked up RHP Miguel Gonzalez from the Angels and RHP Miguel Marquez from the Mariners in the Rule V draft today. With a Rule V draft pick the player has to remain on the 25 man roster. With this, the Red Sox have filled their forty man roster so any additions now will have to have compensating departures.

Tito had commented earlier this week that it's easier to have an eleventh or twelfth pitcher on the roster than an extra middle infielder and it looks like that's exactly what we have now.

The more interesting of these to me is Gonzalez. He missed all of last season with an injury (right knee) and the Angels sent him to the Mexican Winter League where three different Sox scouts each liked what they saw and recommended him to Theo for this draft. If he sticks with the Sox he's seen as a reliever with a 92 mph fastball, slider and change up with good control. Reports are that he's pitching better now than he had before his injury.

In a meeting with reporters after then Rule V draft that marks the end of the winter meetings, Epstein admitted that he has made offers to three free agents. Consensus opinion is that Varitek and Teixeira are among them with no real consensus on the third. I'd have to believe it to be one of the two premiere free agent pitchers remaining-either AJ Burnett or Derek Lowe.

I heard on WFAN this morning that Lowe is reported as saying that pitching for the Yankees is more attractive to him now that they have signed CC Sabathia. My understanding is that the Yanks still have a $63-$66 million dollar offer on the table for Lowe. Other reports have the Yankees pursuing Burnett now with a five year, $85 million dollar offer on the table. Burnett was said to prefer pitching for the Braves but they only recently today agreed to guarantee a fifth year. There's no solid word on what the dollar amount of Atlanta's offer is currently.

There was no mention of the Red Sox in any reports today regarding either pitcher. A couple of reports said the Sox were "close" to a deal with Teixeira but I've been reading that on and off for three days now.

As I type this, Theo is on a plane out of Vegas so it should be quiet for the Sox for at least the next few hours.

Man,I love this time of year.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #3251
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Now that the last day of the winter meetings has passed, I'm going to make a couple of guesses here as to how the Red Sox may bottom out from the hot stove season.

Varitek will be back behind the plate wishing he'd have taken arbitration. That probably would have netted him something in the $11-$12M range for 2009. I'm guessing he'll end up signing for two years for not significantly more than that.

The Red Sox will bring in a younger catcher to benefit from Tek's tutelage. It could be someone from the farm system or still possibly someone from Texas or either of a couple other ML clubs.

Mark Teixeira will start the 2009 campaign for the Red Sox after setting a new contract record for a free agent signing in Boston. He wants to play post season baseball and that eliminates Baltimore and Washington from contention. He and his wife both want to be east because of family (his in Maryland, hers in Atlanta) so that eliminates the Angels as a fit even though they do have the advantage of being the incumbent. The Red Sox will pay to get him as he's really been the only true focus of the team in the free agent market and he fills more than one need for the them.

The Sox will start spring training with Teixeira, Youkilis and Lowell all on the roster. Lowell will be in a postion much like Coco Crisp was a year ago as the fourth outfielder. He'll be the third corner player that can draw some interested trade partners but who we'll be in no hurry to trade as he'll still have value to us.

Well, that's my take on things. Any other thoughts?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #3252
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Now that the last day of the winter meetings has passed, I'm going to make a couple of guesses here as to how the Red Sox may bottom out from the hot stove season.

Varitek will be back behind the plate wishing he'd have taken arbitration. That probably would have netted him something in the $11-$12M range for 2009. I'm guessing he'll end up signing for two years for not significantly more than that.

The Red Sox will bring in a younger catcher to benefit from Tek's tutelage. It could be someone from the farm system or still possibly someone from Texas or either of a couple other ML clubs.

Mark Teixeira will start the 2009 campaign for the Red Sox after setting a new contract record for a free agent signing in Boston. He wants to play post season baseball and that eliminates Baltimore and Washington from contention. He and his wife both want to be east because of family (his in Maryland, hers in Atlanta) so that eliminates the Angels as a fit even though they do have the advantage of being the incumbent. The Red Sox will pay to get him as he's really been the only true focus of the team in the free agent market and he fills more than one need for the them.

The Sox will start spring training with Teixeira, Youkilis and Lowell all on the roster. Lowell will be in a postion much like Coco Crisp was a year ago as the fourth outfielder. He'll be the third corner player that can draw some interested trade partners but who we'll be in no hurry to trade as he'll still have value to us.

Well, that's my take on things. Any other thoughts?
Varitek has always given me the impression that money is not why he plays baseball nor why he plays for the Sox. What I mean is that, I don't think he will be unduly disapointed to be earning less playing for the Sox - he will, however, be playing for his beloved sox for another 2 years (if it all pans out as you suggest).

Just my $0.02
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #3253
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

It looks like we need to make some kind of decision on what we want to do about getting Mark Teixeira into a Red Sox uniform for next season.

According to the LA papers today, the Angels have made a contract offer of 8 years at $160M, which matches the offer reported from the Nationals and exceeds the reported $140M-$150M offer from Baltimore. The Angels, like the Red Sox, have made no secret that the slugging first baseman is their number one free agent priority this off season.

I've been able to find nothing as to the term or dollar amount in the Red Sox offer. It would seem now that it's going to take an offer that closely approximates those numbers to get Teixeira to Beantown.

Don't be surprised if deals for Teixeira and Varitek come very close together as both are represented by Scott Boras and there has already been talk of Boras 'packaging' the two players to the Red Sox.

Of course, the packaging of players by agents is illegal, unethical and a likely breach of ficuciary responsibilites to one if not both players.
Did I mention that Scott Boras is their agent?

Gary in Indiana screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 09:14 AM
Gary in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #3254
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

No Teixeira for Boston?

John Henry sent an email to various news outlets just before 10 PM Thursday after having flown to Texas to meet with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras;

"We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Eight hours earlier a report from Sports Illustrated had Boston as the odds on favorite to sign him.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #3255
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
No Teixeira for Boston?

John Henry sent an email to various news outlets just before 10 PM Thursday after having flown to Texas to meet with Teixeira and agent Scott Boras;

"We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Eight hours earlier a report from Sports Illustrated had Boston as the odds on favorite to sign him.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, he though he was a $200 million ballplayer. John thought he was a $120-140 max. Yawn.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: