Oddometer: 5,202
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #992
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nye
I think this one says it all. They are so lucky Detriot cooled off.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #993
TOMMY B
PRODRIVE

Oddometer: 153
1... Game
TOMMY B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #994
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY B
1... Game
Yup THough Mo has been making it interesting lately.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #995
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Oddometer: 580
I'm reminded of a couple lines from 'The Color of Money.'

"It's like a bad dream, isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse."

We can't score any runs and New York just keeps winning. Isn't this something like ten of their last twelve or twelve of their last fourteen? I don't care who you're playing, that's just incredible baseball.

I'm beginning to wonder if we won't be the last team to have beaten the Yankees when next season starts.

Tomorrow is an off day for both teams. Friday, Josh Beckett goes for his twentieth win of the season facing Tampa Bay. We need to score some runs or his pitching effort won't matter. I think Wang is pitching for the Yankees going after his nineteenth when New York takes on the same Blue Jays who just swept up.

With two pitchers like that going to the mound in their respective games, it's going to be a good day for baseball.

GO RED SOX!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #996
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe
Yup THough Mo has been making it interesting lately.
But Mo is Mo. He makes things interesting but . . . .I don't want anyone else there when the game is on the line. It makes me sad to thing that some day he won't be there.
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:09 AM   #997
Dr. Horrible
easy to make

Oddometer: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man17
But Mo is Mo. He makes things interesting but . . . .I don't want anyone else there when the game is on the line. It makes me sad to thing that some day he won't be there.
If Rivera keeps playing with fire, he's going to get burned. He was one pitch away from pulling a Gagne last night, as he was on Sunday against the Red Sox. Ortiz saved Mo's ass on Sunday by swinging at a bad pitch (something he almost never does) and popping it up. I didn't see the 9th inning of Wednesday night's game, but no closer, not even Rivera, is going to get by unscathed when he consistently puts runners in scoring position in one-run games.

Why all the panic, people? The Sox are playing without Ramirez, Youkillis and Crisp, and their bullpen is tired. Even so, they've been right in every game with a chance to win. Four of their last five losses have been by one run, and last nights game was tight until Pap's brain fart in the eighth.

Would I like the Red Sox to win the division? Of course I would, and they've still got a good shot at doing so. If they don't, it's not the end of the world. Come playoff time, when the Sox aren't playing without one third of their regulars (including their clean-up hitter), and the bullpen has had a couple of days to rest, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Relax, and enjoy the ride.
Dr. Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 AM   #998
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
1 and 1/2 games! I think I'm going to be sick.
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:25 AM   #999
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
1 and 1/2 games! I think I'm going to be sick.

The sux started strong and are now floundering like fish in a net.

I never had any doubt
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #1000
mr openroad
Target Fixated

Oddometer: 4,091
floundering like a fish is right. I never thought in a million years it would come to this. its a living nightmare
mr openroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 AM   #1001
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr openroad
floundering like a fish is right. I never thought in a million years it would come to this. its a living nightmare
Every year ( with the exception of a few years ago) it's the same thing

Start strong and flounder at the end.

The oxygen trucks are trying to find thier way to Landsdown street. They will try anything to prevent choking.

Don't say I didn't warn you all.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #1002
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible

Why all the panic, people? The Sox are playing without Ramirez, Youkillis and Crisp, and their bullpen is tired.
Teh panic is probably due to the fact that there are jsut a few games left and the Yankees are breathing down your collective necks.

This happened to the Yankees in April. A boatload of injuries left us scrambling to call upon minor league pitchers. Sure am glad that it happened in April and not now like the sox.

Ish happenes but I still think that the ALCS will be Yanks-Sox once again.

cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 AM   #1003
G-man17
The Devil Drives!

Oddometer: 2,532
[quote=Dr. Horrible]If Rivera keeps playing with fire, he's going to get burned. He was one pitch away from pulling a Gagne last night, as he was on Sunday against the Red Sox. Ortiz saved Mo's ass on Sunday by swinging at a bad pitch (something he almost never does) and popping it up. I didn't see the 9th inning of Wednesday night's game, but no closer, not even Rivera, is going to get by unscathed when he consistently puts runners in scoring position in one-run games.

Dude, careful you are going to hurt your self with analysis like that. Mo and Gagne in the same breath--please! Even papebum is getting pounded now. The problem the sux have now is baseball itself and the inexorable law of averages. No big slump this year translates into a slump at the wrong moment. They played above themselves, they came back to earth and now they are playing below themselves. I believe that if they don't win the division the slide may become so pervasive and prolonged that they will have the most fantastic seats for the off season --right in front of their plasma tvs.
G-man17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #1004
Gary in Indiana
Big Bike Rider

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Horrible
Why all the panic, people? The Sox are playing without Ramirez, Youkillis and Crisp, and their bullpen is tired. Even so, they've been right in every game with a chance to win. Four of their last five losses have been by one run, and last nights game was tight until Pap's brain fart in the eighth.

Would I like the Red Sox to win the division? Of course I would, and they've still got a good shot at doing so. If they don't, it's not the end of the world. Come playoff time, when the Sox aren't playing without one third of their regulars (including their clean-up hitter), and the bullpen has had a couple of days to rest, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Relax, and enjoy the ride.
You make some excellent points, Dr. H. I'm not sure that I'm in a panic mode at this point. After all, I'd rather be up a game and a half than trailing by that much. I'll admit I'd very much like a division title but we won a World Series without one.

Truth be told, we're simply not scoring runs right now and that certainly could be attributed to some injuries. One thing that really puzzles me is why we are somewhat consistently giving up big eighth innings that have been beating us. Letting Gagne put on a uniform explains one of them, for sure. Maybe it is a tired bullpen, as you said. I don't know.

What makes this appear even worse than it is has been the incredible play of the Yankees of late. Of course, they're healthy and putting up enough runs they don't have to go to their bullpen quite as early because of that, thus saving those arms.

With today as an off day, maybe we can get a little rest and get a little healthier.

GO RED SOX!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM   #1005
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

I agree that Rivera may get burned, but there is no comparison between him and Gagne. IMO Rivera is the greatest closer in the history of the game. He has been their closer since 97 and still is near the top. There are not many closers who have done it for ten years. Gagne has been brilliant, but not for nearly that long and he can't seem to finish any season at all lately.
The scary thing about both teams is that they have what appears to be a few young arms coming up. The Yankees have Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Ramirez who are doing it and doing it well. Then you have Hughes and Rasner who have looked good but time will tell. Other than signing A-Rod, Posada, and Rivera the Yankees do not need any new blood or to spend any money to be winners for another ten years.
I have said all along the division does not matter, but it will feel good to remind you Sux fans and the Suxs themselves that they are still the second best team in the AL East.

RichBeBe screwed with this post 09-20-2007 at 03:39 PM Reason: Holy fuck was this typo loaded.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: