Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 AM   #1456
neopluradon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
yeah it was good to catch up with you all. and a good ride back through that gravel track.. those big stones sorta surpised me a bit haha..

didnt get any photos really. myself and two others started the day then 15kms into our ride a mate ran off the road doing 70km/h on his new klr650 (only 250km done) luckly he wasnt hurt but we didnt feel safe to ride the bike back to lton because the crash broke the rear brake and who knows what else. so yeah we didnt get much riding done! but my friend is alright thats the main thing!!
neopluradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #1457
Daz the Aussie
Dualsporting Actor

Oddometer: 926
G'day Tassie riders. Thanks to all who took the pics of the big weekend ride recently, looks like it was good fun. It will be nice to meet all the new riders whenever we get back to Tassie. Ian I don't know you but here's to a quick recovery, sorry to hear about the crash. Scott, looks like the new bike is treating you well. As for us 2, we are in Alberta, Canada today. We are heading to Edmonton then across Canada to the East Coast of the USA. I finally made it all the way to the Arctic Ocean at the top of the world at Prudhoe Bay, Alasaka, you guys would have really enjoyed that ride, 900 miles of mostly dirt, with some slippery mud, lots of rain and awesome scenery. Oh, and guys? I didn't fall off once

Cheers,

Daz & Shy.

"Where do I go now that I've gone too far?"

My actor site: www.dazbyard.com
Daz the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #1458
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,333
Keeping in touch

Hi all, just a quick note to keep in touch.
I now have internet access every three weeks or so back in Australia, better than none until I got home which had been the case.
The internet access is via bigpond wireless, good stuff so far.

I won't be back until mid October sometime, my two trips has grown into five, but with a promotion thrown in as incentive, I am now 2nd engineer, up from 3rd.

I have a new "adventure" bike in my shed, an early bevel deadcat, it will be interesting to see how it likes dirt.

Winter will be mostly over by the time of my return, which is both good and bad, I like winter, sorts the sheep from the goats so to speak.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #1459
Gollum

Oddometer: n/a
Thanks Daz. Shy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz & Shy
G'day Tassie riders. Thanks to all who took the pics of the big weekend ride recently, looks like it was good fun. It will be nice to meet all the new riders whenever we get back to Tassie. Ian I don't know you but here's to a quick recovery, sorry to hear about the crash. Scott, looks like the new bike is treating you well. As for us 2, we are in Alberta, Canada today. We are heading to Edmonton then across Canada to the East Coast of the USA. I finally made it all the way to the Arctic Ocean at the top of the world at Prudhoe Bay, Alasaka, you guys would have really enjoyed that ride, 900 miles of mostly dirt, with some slippery mud, lots of rain and awesome scenery. Oh, and guys? I didn't fall off once

Cheers,

Daz & Shy.
Thanks for the comiserations. just getting sick of driving..need a powered 2 wheels fix soon, even the scooters are beginning to look good.

Ian (Gollum).
Old 08-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #1460
middy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Well I'm now the owner of a 2004 DRZ400E

I looked at two, one was mint with 7000 km's under it's belt really well loved and the other had 2400km's on it and looks as though it has been ridden nothing major just a few marks here and there.

The mint one was $6000 no accesories and he wouldn't budge

The other one was $4900 but I talked him down nearer to $4000 and came with bash plate, ally radiator guards, Renthal bars, Bark busters, better tyres, and a box of bits so I walked away with it

I figure that with a rougher bike I'll be less concerned if (or when) she lays down

It's not registered in Tas but is Rec registered in Vic however a close mate is a vehicle inspector

Took it to my dealer mate for a once over and he's given it a clean bill of health (the guy had it serviced last week)

I have already brought new indicators, Bar risers, grips, and have ordered a bar pad (he didn't have yellow) and 15 liter tank.

Next is to make some saddle bag racks and order a whipps rear rack.

Here are some photo's but they are from my phone and it's dark so they are not the best.

I'll add some more when the sun arrives

Don't mind the shit in the garage it's only 1 third a shed now the offices is in there

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
middy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #1461
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Excellent work Middy......

Looks like you got yourself a good buy.
They are great bikes , super reliable and great to ride.
A mate has got one , he's had it for 6 or 7 years I think , and he can't kill it.
It'd done about 16,000 ks (all in the bush) , and has given him no trouble.

You have got 3 weeks to get it set up for our Interlaken overnighter.......
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 AM   #1462
scottmoto16
Scooter Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,076
Speaking of Interlaken

Just to keep interest going........

Dago point camp ground marked with the "A".

Name:  Dago point , Interlaken.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  64.2 KB

Will start a separate thread soon.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 AM   #1463
middy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoto16
Speaking of Interlaken

Just to keep interest going........

Dago point camp ground marked with the "A".

Attachment 182946

Will start a separate thread soon.

oh and it's a stones throw away from the farm if people are interested in a harder route home now I can get properly off the beaten track
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #1464
middy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

A mate has got one , he's had it for 6 or 7 years I think , and he can't kill it.
It'd done about 16,000 ks (all in the bush) , and has given him no trouble.

You have got 3 weeks to get it set up for our Interlaken overnighter.......
risers are fitted so far.

I will fit indicators, grips and the like this weekend

It came with an aftermarket exaust (a HINDEL) never heard of them but might try it this weekend. although I suspect theres a reason it's not fitted and noise may be it
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #1465
Gollum

Oddometer: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by middy
oh and it's a stones throw away from the farm if people are interested in a harder route home now I can get properly off the beaten track
I'm just hoping to get my new DR650 in time. Not likely..

Gollum.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:44 AM   #1466
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,406
Quote:

Maybe not Scott, but it has damn near killed him
Old 08-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #1467
middy
Studly Adventurer

I know it's short notice but I'm heading to the farm to recce a few tracks for the next ride if anyones keen to follow.

It would be better off on the smaller more nimble bikes as it more than likely will be wet and slippery (at least the landing will be soft) but I'm willing if you are.

It won't be an early start and will promise some good riding.

shoot me a pm if interested.

I'll be trailering my bike up due to not having rego yet
Old 08-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #1468
still at it
n00b

Oddometer: 8
retirement property for riders

goodday people, just a few lines to say hello and ask a favour. a month or so back i found a discussion somewhere on the advr site relating to the establishment of a retirement village / commune for adv riders or riders in general. i have not been able to find my way back to the thread [?]. i have spent several hours looking but no luck. i do not have the computer skills to try another course of action . thanks in advance for any help . i am currently dirt bikeless but hope to change that soon and look foward to joining you . cheers wayne
still at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:52 PM   #1469
Dirt Diver
Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Welcome SAI !

Here's the thread you're talking about -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=retirement

Have fun!
01 VFR800 Sold and missed.
Adventurers like it dirty!
Dirt Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #1470
middy
Studly Adventurer

I'm back and as usual for me I had a severe change of plans

We ended up heading to pelverata (sp?) fall near margate.

There were 2 DRZ's a Quad and 5 4wd's.

I didn't end up taking to many photo's as I was having too much fun

We had rain, sun, snow and wind

I've fallen in love with this bike.
After riding along side a 3/4 meter deep water and mud filled rut for around 50 meters on a foot wide ledge my balance decided to give up the ghost and I head for a spill. gave it a fist full and came out with a wet arse but looking like a pro, more damn good luck than skill though I can tell you.

I ended up bailing on the 4wd's when the other DRZ decided to have a lay down crossing a large deep crossing (see photo's)

as I don't really enjoy dawdling behind or waiting for 4WD's to catch up and the fact I was drenched and freezing I decided to head for home 1/2 way through the trip.

As you'll see buy the photo's some of the guy's dont mind drowning there expensive 4WD's

sorry there are not more bike related pics.

middy screwed with this post 08-17-2008 at 04:45 AM