Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Zumo 550 plus US topo

Hey Everybody,
I am trying to get the US topo maps on my Pop's zumo 550. I loaded up a two gig card and I placed it in the unit but it does not read the maps. How do I get it to read the maps on the 550? I can read the maps on my 2610 when I load it on a card for it. Thanks, Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
mx125
Knob from Canada

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by thouk
Hey Everybody,
I am trying to get the US topo maps on my Pop's zumo 550. I loaded up a two gig card and I placed it in the unit but it does not read the maps. How do I get it to read the maps on the 550? I can read the maps on my 2610 when I load it on a card for it. Thanks, Tony
I don't want to be one of those goofballs that responds, without actually testing the solution . . but I thought I would try to help anyway.

I don't own the Zumo but will soon. The other Garmins I have require the "turning off" or hiding of map sections when there is overlap. There is a level of prioritization and the City Select maps in your unit over ride the topo (or others) you might load.

In my 60C, for example, I have to go to map setup . .and under the list of map sections loaded, I menu again and have the option to hide map sets. If I want to see topo, I hide City select. You can then reactivate when you're back "on road".
mx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
RL Lemke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
The owners manual shows how:

Changing the Map Settings
Touch > Map.
Map Detail—adjust the amount of detail
shown on the map. Showing more detail
may cause the map to redraw slower.
Map View—change the perspective of
the map.

Map Info—view the maps loaded on
your zūmo and their version. Touch a
map to enable (check mark) or disable
(no check mark) that map.
Restore—restore the default map
settings.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
El Diablo
Mama I'm goi'n fast!

Oddometer: 747
You need to go in to map settings and make sure that this map is checked.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
mx125
Knob from Canada

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14Dude
You need to go in to map settings and make sure that this map is checked.
But even if it is . .I believe the prioritization will over-rule if the CS maps are also checked.
mx125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
El Diablo
Mama I'm goi'n fast!

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx125
But even if it is . .I believe the prioritization will over-rule if the CS maps are also checked.
Then you need to make sure that in routing off road is checked too.
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Everybody,
I looked at the maps that are loaded on the zumo. It does not ever list the US topo. It list the city navigator maps and that is it. Any more suggestions? Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Did you load the card using Mapsource?

MapSource has a priority scheme;
if you load Topo maps alongside your City Navigator maps (and both mapsets are enabled) then only the highest priority mapset will display (City Navigator)
To display a lower priority map; spanner - Map - Map Info - untick City Navigator
Please note that not all topo mapsets will generate an onroad 'turn by turn' autoroute (faster/shorter).

If you load a second mapset from standard MapSource then it will delete gmapsupp.img and create a new file with the maps you have selected.
If you want to load additional mapping from 2 or more mapsets then you must select and load them in one PC session.

Your unit will quite happily read the map files from either the internal memory or the SD card as long as they are in the Garmin folder.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
richc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,607
Did you load the card using Mapsource? You need to unselect the CN maps, then your Topo maps should be ok.

MapSource has a priority scheme;
if you load Topo maps alongside your City Navigator maps (and both mapsets are enabled) then only the highest priority mapset will display (City Navigator)
To display a lower priority map; spanner - Map - Map Info - untick City Navigator
Please note that not all topo mapsets will generate an onroad 'turn by turn' autoroute (faster/shorter).

If you load a second mapset from standard MapSource then it will delete gmapsupp.img and create a new file with the maps you have selected.
If you want to load additional mapping from 2 or more mapsets then you must select and load them in one PC session.

Your unit will quite happily read the map files from either the internal memory or the SD card as long as they are in the Garmin folder.
richc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
They will not show up by just coping the TOPO's to the SD Card. You have to plug the zumo into your PC and load the maps from MapSource. Then do as above and make sure the TOPO's are "checked" and that the base mapset (US CN) is "un-checked". But, if you just want the elevations data you can "check" both map sets and even though the USCN map is on top, the TOPO data is there. Check this by Browsing the map and placing the pointer in an open area. You should see the elevation at that spot.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

RichC,
City navigator was already loaded onto the zumo directly. I used mapsource to load the topo onto a card seperately. When I put the card into the zumo all the zumo shows is the city navigator maps as an option. It does not list the topo maps to be able to view. I am trying to reload the topo maps onto a card to see if it got messed up loading it onto the card. Thanks for all the help guys. Tony

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Your TOPOs are on the SD Card yes but they need to be "imported" into the Garmin directory as a Supplement Map Set. Go to the "Tools->User Data->Import Data->Select your Maps and the zumo will do the rest.

You will end up with a file (gmapsupp.img) in the zumo's "\Garmin" directory. This file contains all of the additional Garmin/other map sets.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DrtByk,
Thanks. Once I get all the files reloaded onto the card I will have my Pops do that. Why does it take sooooooo long to load two gigs of stuff? It has been a number of hours to load the maps. Thanks, Tony

Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

MapSource does two steps in preparing your maps to be sent. First, it creates an Index file. Second, it compresses the map data and last it sends the compressed data set/index file to the SDCard (if no SDCard they get sent to the ZUMO onboard storage if there is enough room.

I see I must correct my earlier description:

Once you load the map sets to the SD Card one of two processes will take place.

1. If you loaded directly to the SD Card with no GPS attached, when you plug that card into the Garmin it will see the new data and ask if you want to Import it. You have the option of saying NO and doing that import later.

2. If you uploaded the maps with the ZUMO plugged in it would again have loaded them directly to the SD Card and when you unplug the ZUMO from the PC the ZUMO will reboot and automatically IMPORT your data. Either way, you will then see your additional Map sets by going to Tools->Maps->Map Info

The file that is created in the ZUMO\Garmin directory (gmapsupp.img) is created only if there is sufficient space for all of the imported Maps. The maps on the SDCard are in \Garmin\gmapsupp.img.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-05-2007 at 01:20 PM
Old 04-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #15
thouk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Drtbyk,
Is there any way to speed up the loading of maps to the cards? It has been loading the topo maps to the card all day. Thanks for the help!!! Tony