Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
TroySmith OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Make a track part of the base map?

If i go treking around trails up in the woods, that are not on my map, and keep a track log of where i've been, is there any way to make that track a permanent part of a map set?

What i mean is, can i then designate that track as being a permanent trail and make it part of the map, instead of just being a track?
TroySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith
If i go treking around trails up in the woods, that are not on my map, and keep a track log of where i've been, is there any way to make that track a permanent part of a map set?

What i mean is, can i then designate that track as being a permanent trail and make it part of the map, instead of just being a track?
Not unless you work for Garmin - that is part of the basic programming of the base map and it's not user defineable.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #3
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
In no way am I suggesting you do this, but... I think you could edit the actual maps and add the info in permanantly. Try reading more here. This is something I would not try without backing up your maps, user beware, may ruin maps, yada, yada, yada.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
WOW. That's about the coolest thing I've seen. I wonder if you could use that similar thinking to solve the other guys problem with level of detail vs zoom range.....
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
The link provide by bitterjoe is vary valuable but I don't think it is what TroySmith was asking for. Yes, one can create personal non-routing maps like TOPOs with user defined data and MapSource will upload them to the GPS without fear of corrupting any of the Base Map data - a feature that has been in place for many years now.

But, John E Davis reply was unfortunately the right answer. You can not modify the Map Set data provided by Garmin without hacking into that data set - not recommended and also violates the Garmin License Agreement.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Only with Delorme Handheld

The Delorme Handhel PN-20 Gps is the only one that I know of that will allow you to do this, It is a very neat feature, You can also add routable roads, trails to your maps, You just add all your tracks or add all the tracks from other people ( downloaded "gpx" files) to your maps on the PC and then cut your maps to the "SD" card and all your tracks show up as a draw layer on the GPS, with names and all, Very cool,
Pros: Great maps, Savable Draw layers, Very viewable screen, Able to save Tracks at Full resolution (up to 10 @10,000 points each), Availble SAT- Aerial Imagery.
Cons: Too small of a screen,( same size as the E-Trex line) VERY Slow auto-routing,

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
The link provide by bitterjoe is vary valuable but I don't think it is what TroySmith was asking for. Yes, one can create personal non-routing maps like TOPOs with user defined data and MapSource will upload them to the GPS without fear of corrupting any of the Base Map data - a feature that has been in place for many years now.

But, John E Davis reply was unfortunately the right answer. You can not modify the Map Set data provided by Garmin without hacking into that data set - not recommended and also violates the Garmin License Agreement.
Well, I believe it does explain (somewhere) how to edit an actual Mapsource map and it will work, but you will lose your ability to auto-route. And yes, it violates the Garmin License Agreement, hence my "In no way am I suggesting you do this".

Anyways, it seems way too labor intensive to even bother with unless this is something you really need. Plus, why screw up your maps?

I keep hoping Garmin will just have a firmware release that allows unlimited tracks/routes stored on your memory card. Problem solved.

bitterjoe screwed with this post 04-05-2007 at 12:59 PM
bitterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
bitterjoe
killing the fatted calf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
Pros: Great maps, Savable Draw layers, Very viewable screen, Able to save Tracks at Full resolution (up to 10 @10,000 points each), Availble SAT- Aerial Imagery.
Cons: Too small of a screen,( same size as the E-Trex line) VERY Slow auto-routing,
I can't wait until Delorme further develops their GPS units, new models, etc. I love their maps and their GPS product looks promising.