ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
GoodToGo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Not Touched in 5 years

I visually inspected and am thinking of getting an '06 950. It has sat, with gas in the tank, for 5 years without being started. Was put away wet and dirty. Owner says has 22k miles on it. Ran great except for some episodes of overheating which he never figured out. Owner also said mileage was not good (35 to 40 mpg). Battery is obviously dead. Owner just lost interest in riding. Owner owes me $3.5K. Is willing to trade me this bike for debt settlement. Bike has hepco becker bags and racks and engine guards.

I can clean it up. My concern is the carbs and the fuel tank. Is there going to be sticky sludge (formerly gas) in the carb? How hard is that to clean out. Owner guarantees nothing wrong with bike and will start with new gas and battery assuming the carbs are not all stickied up inside.

Should I try to just start it with a new battery and good fuel to see if it turns over and fires up or is that risky before cleaning out the carbs and gas tank first? How could this hurt the motor or make things worse than cleaning the carb out first? This is my REAL FIRST QUESTION

I don't know anything about these bikes but would love to get it running and have some fun on it. What special problems could I have due to how long it has sat. Can I soak, clean out carbs on my own or do I need to take it to a KTM dealer? What will they charge (hours) approximately to clean out carbs and do a tune up?

I'm no mechanic but can do basic stuff.
GoodToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
luckyducks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Haha if he thinks that kind of gas mileage is not good consider the roughly 25mpg I'm getting with a 70/30, city/freeway mix.
luckyducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #3
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToGo View Post

Owner guarantees nothing wrong with bike and will start with new gas and battery assuming the carbs are not all stickied up inside.

Can I soak, clean out carbs on my own or do I need to take it to a KTM dealer? What will they charge (hours) approximately to clean out carbs and do a tune up?

I'm no mechanic but can do basic stuff.
Oo..scary. Many folks here tear their hair out w/ jetting and carb issues...do a search.

If he can start it as is, have him prove it. The longer it runs, the better the deal will be. A dealer does NOT want to do work like this...nor do you want to pay them the amount they would charge you to do work like this.

This may not be worth it to you @ $3500.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
WanderBeaver
Wanderer

Oddometer: 134
I just paid $3000 CDN including tax for a pile of accessories when I got the bike. $1500 of that was for Gobi panniers/topcase and the racks to support them (quick release and lockable options). I think that would definitely pay off the debt since you get that plus an entire bike. It may be risky to just add gas and run it since I would think a clogged fuel passage could lean out the engine and cause detonation. I know it's tempting to start it and see how it runs though as it saves a lot of $ or your time/trouble cleaning the fuel system. I'd think a new fuel filter would be wise as well but even with that work I think that bike would be worth paying $3500 with the accessories especially. Perhaps someone else can pipe in on whether KTM's 950 has detonation avoiding timing retarding to eliminate that concern? Because how can you know to accept the bike as payment if you don't know how it runs and if you can't run it for fear of damaging the motor even if it DOES fire up and idle and even run seemingly normally. I've had a Harley engine blow up from detonation, on a 2 year old bike, so detonation and lean running must be taken really seriously.

How about this: Tell him it's a deal IF he cleans the carbs and replaces the fuel filter etc. so you can do a proper test ride without fear of doing damage. Otherwise how can you even take it for a test ride, you could take the bike as payment for the debt only to find that after spending time or $ to clean the fuel system, you go for a ride and it runs like crap due to some other reason but then you're stuck with it. I don't know what that's worth time wise of $ wise so unsure if it's realistic to expect him to do that and still give you the bike as payment for the debt. I don't personally know the value of a 2006 950 Adventure without fuel system issues but it must be above $3500......if for arguments sake that is worth $4000 and it costs $500 to clean up a terribly gunked up fuel system, then he may be in his rights to decline that because if he cleans it up the bike is worth $4000 or $500 more than he owes you. Again that's just a hypothetical situation with hypothetical values on that bike and on carb cleaning. Better check on the value of that task as well as that year 950 for similar condition (minus the fuel system concerns) and act accordingly. I think it could be a good deal if you go about it wisely because you may never again see such a bike for that price.

WanderBeaver screwed with this post 01-23-2015 at 05:33 PM
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 701
Where are you at? I know of a couple of guys that would be willing to take the risk and take it off of your hands, hell, I might give it a go if I were you. I kind of enjoy working on mine. Its a great way to get to know the bike, or to despise it.
effensteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Hiatus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
For 3500 I'll take the risk.

I'm sure the CFO will understand.

Really worst case scenario the motor is completely roached. I bet it's worth at least that in parts. Somone would scoop it up.
Hiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
oldfuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
there's a difference between getting a bike that has been sitting 5yrs with gas in it "started" and having a bike that has sat for 5yrs "sorted".... and that difference could be painfully labor-some or you could get lucky. sounds like a roll-the-dice situation
oldfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
For $3500, I'd be on it in a minute! Getting the carbs off and cleaned will be a learning experience. You will get to know the bike--a good thing! Job is not rocket science. You will be able to clean the carbs You could try a jump start, fresh gas and some automotive injector cleaner in the gas Might get lucky and have it start. Not a substitute for taking carbs off and apart. But might help with the buying decision
Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
sonoran
je suis sonoran

Oddometer: 23,691
A low mileage '06 950 is probably worth $5k+ depending on condition. Do you trust him to tell the truth that the engine is ok?

Draining fuel, cleaning carbs and replacing the battery is really not too difficult. If that's all it takes then it's a good deal. Will probably want to change out the old tires too.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
GoodToGo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
The owner of the bike is honest, I completely trust what he is telling me. I've known him a long time and our friendship, from both sides, is worth way more than $3500.

Assuming everything he told me about the bike's history and problems is accurate is there a good chance that it will be problematic due only to the fact that it has sat for 5 yrs with gas in the system? That's really the essence of the decision for me. I don't want to spend more than $500 to get it cleaned up and running well, then it will needs tires, then I want to have fun with it. I also don't have much spare time to work on it. If I remove the carbs, do I then throw them in a bucket of kerosene and let them soak for a month with a gasoline rinse afterwards, bolt them back on and fire her up? Or will I be relegated to running little wires through every orifice in both carbs while they are in pieces? Of course no one can say for sure without looking at the carbs or the bottom of the fuel tanks but what is the experience of inmates here who have tried to revive a good motor that was not properly stored with fuel in motor for 5 yrs.?
GoodToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 701
Dude, I hate to tell you but a trip to a stealership will cost you minimum of a grand, I emphasize minimum. Plus $300 ish for tires. Its probably best to just sell it to me for the $3500 plus a couple extra for the trouble and be done with the whole mess.

Just sayin
effensteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 841
Sitting for years

My little brother has bought a couple of Goldwings that had set for 11 yrs. I cleaned the carbs for him, just carb cleaner soaking and carefully cleaned. Both those bike gave him many problem free miles after that. I read now guys are soaking carbs in pinesol with good results.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
We don't know how bad the carbs are. But I would bet on you needing to do more than throw them in a bucket of Kerosene. You should also research the whole air filter box/carb setup. Getting them on and off is a little more complicated than many bikes. Again, not that bad a job. But as Clint Eastwood says "A man's gotta know his limitations"
Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,119
We don't know. Could be an easy fix...could be a money pit. If you're really not much of a mechanic, don't have time and take it to a dealer to sort out you can plan on the latter.

If you want to relieve your buddy of the debt, grab it.

Where are you and the bike located (again)(pls fill out your profile)?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 895
I can rebuild these carbs blindfolded with both hands tied behind my back. They are pretty tough and it takes a lot of bad gas to mess them up. That goes for the whole bike, really. I have found that ethanol does more damage to the tanks and hoses, and the stock fuel pump diaphragm. I'd take it and blow out the carbs, swap pump and hoses, crank her up with clean gas, and ride, enjoy, repeat...
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote