User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Chaddy08 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Talking 2014 Australasian safari build thread DRZ400E/Husaberg 570

i've finally got around to starting a build thread for both my DRZ400e and my brothers berg 570 that will be competing (attempting to finish probably a more realistic title) in the 2014 Australasian Safari.

A little info on the bikes/why we chose to compete in such a tough race having never competed in a navigation rally before apart from yilgarn this year which was a heap of fun but unfortunately only lasted one day (got rained out).

Basically i wanted to attempt something big/have a goal to complete something that i new at the time was out of my league (probably still is), and my brother thought he would come along for the "ride" so to speak.

THE BIKES:
Ill be on a DRZ400e and my brother on the 570.
DRZ400e: i bought this one back in 2012 with 5000kms on it

bought it to ride to uni, but started to get back into dirt riding. Now has 12,500kms on it mostly dirt.

I just recently (last week) bought this one ill be using this for safari, and the other one to train on and sell in a couple of months

Theres at least a couple of days just transferring everything over from one to the other with all the extras i've put on my old drz to the new one, also greasing suspension, head stem bearings etc etc

My brother originally had a ktm690, with the massive front safari tank

which he thought was too heavy once we starting thinking about safari so he sold that and bought this:

The bike has already completed safari in 2012

A few pics of the our setups for yilgarn:

You can see chris in the back ground with his bike in the tree trying to get fuel to drain to the main tank cause he ran out, just another learning experience for safari!!! stupid tank design though

I wasnt that happy with the RMS universal bar mounts, even with the scotts steering damper it was like a pendulum... soo i got my old man to fabricate a new mounting system that bolts on top of the handlebar mounts. I havent tried it out yet but the nav gear is over the centre of the steering stem so this should be better. Pics to come

basically the plan since the start of the year has been to step up the physical training, ride more, and save save save. Im planning on keeping this thread fairly informative on the logistics/training/set up side of things, to hopefully help people out in the future who may want a bit of a rough guide to doing safari in the future.
Chaddy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
ECKS-Man
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Great stuff! Good ol' DRZ, there's not much they can't do!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
waikiki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Well done for giving it a go chaddy08. Will be watching this with interest
Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
theborderdog
XR4 PILOT

Oddometer: 146
Lurk:)
theborderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECKS-Man View Post
Great stuff! Good ol' DRZ, there's not much they can't do!
Not much at all, hey Ecks......

Chaddy08: Good luck with the preparation & event. Take it easy & you'll have a blast.

I'm not sure about your crew set-up, but with already having a second DRZ, I'd be inclined to keep it until after the event....... that way you can strip it down & take it for spare parts, you never know what might get damaged: Having a second set of wheels was a huge benfit for my crew, and knowing that I had almost a complete bike for spares was a huge load off my mind.

You might notice the weight on the bars: out of curiosity I weighed the original light & mounts, then opted for an aftermarket headlight. But it all comes down to budget & what you're comfortable with.

I'll be keeping an eye on your progress.....

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
Chaddy08 OP
Adventurer

Hi Gadget678, cheers for the tips.
I was thinking about keeping the old one to take as a whole spare bike, but im a poor uni student so cant afford it. My old man (who will be support crew) has a reasonably stock DRZ400 as well, but it will be difficult to convince him to bring the whole thing down to perth from exmouth where he lives.

Ive already got spare levers, bars, radiators, front and rear wheels (just need new wheel bearings). Was thinking of "borrowing" both front and back brake assemblies, and front suspension off the old boy and that would largely be my back up spares.

The other big question atm for us is ultra heavy duty vs mousse. what would you recommend? As you say it will probably come down to cost, as most things do!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #7
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Tubes

I started with bib mousse front & rear.... But the rears kept melting (I ordered the 120's, but they sent the bigger ones- so that may have contributed), so by day three I had a UHD tube in the rear. The mousse went the distance in the front.

Keep in mind that mousse tubes are a lot tougher to fit, and may require additional equipment= increased cost.

I believe that several riders went for the mousse front, UHD rear in the '09 Safari.... Not sure about events since. Again it comes down to budget & personal preference.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably just use tubes.

Gadget678 screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 03:53 AM
Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,546
Lurking
Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 AM   #9
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,528
Good luck, lads. Looking forward to meeting you at the Pre-event Show at Wanneroo. Our team has a bit of a thread started over in the Racing section. You're more than welcome to join in for a laugh as we all head towards the start line. Great choice of bikes as well. The DRZ is a brilliant, proven alrounder and the Hussy is really impressive in full flight. You'll do well. You have the huge advantage of youth and the ability to bounce easily.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
Chaddy08 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Good luck, lads. Looking forward to meeting you at the Pre-event Show at Wanneroo. Our team has a bit of a thread started over in the Racing section. You're more than welcome to join in for a laugh as we all head towards the start line. Great choice of bikes as well. The DRZ is a brilliant, proven alrounder and the Hussy is really impressive in full flight. You'll do well. You have the huge advantage of youth and the ability to bounce easily.
Hi sundowner, just had a read of your thread, quite a team you guys have going. Ill be lurking around there to get inside info from the likes of yourself sequent and co. look forward to meeting you all later in the year!!!

Quote:
I believe that several riders went for the mousse front, UHD rear in the '09 Safari.... Not sure about events since. Again it comes down to budget & personal preference.
Never thought of doing that, could be a winner, i think wrestling a mousse and tyre on to the rear rim after a long days riding would not be much fun. Then again i would still need to carry spare rear tube and levers, which is also not fun. So many decisions to be made early on in the peace, that we are not completely sure are necessary/required
Old 05-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #11
Chaddy08 OP
Adventurer

Went for a burn on the old bike yesterday arvo, and the new one today. Apart from getting a flat today was good ride. The new drz has stiffer springs to suit a 95kg rider (im 75 dripping wet) has been revalved and has gold valves fitted. Even though the springs are a bit stiff its basically like riding two different bikes.

My old drz has stiffer springs to suit my weight, so ill think ill leave the front springs (0.52 kg/mm) in the new one and change the rear shock out from my old one.

Definitely running a front mousse as well, changing tubes is shit in the garage, in the bush its just stupid, and takes too long.

Was taking it fairly easy over the rocks cos i knew it only had normal tubes in it. the last hill i thought i would take the chance and push it a bit and it went straight away.

For the people in the know, is the M15 michelin Mousse the go for all front tyre sizes? do you think i could get away without a stand for changing just the front?

Heading up to Jurien on the bikes friday for a mates party and back saturday to get some sand riding in. havent done it before, so ive made a scroll off google earth to put in the nav gear so we dont get lost (as much)

cheers
Old 05-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
peteandheidi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I am fairly new to using mousses so can't offer a lot.

I am not sure how easily the m15 front will go into other brand/sized tyres. I bought a s12 front tyre of matching size to make things easier for myself.

I found despite no previous fitting experience fitting a front tube a fairly easy experience.
I think you would be able to do it without a tyre changing ring. Get a good selection of levers and maybe try some of these to hold the bead down.

The rings are super cheap however. The bead breaker makes pushing down the bead really easy to insert your levers. Having something to stop your levers flinging out makes a big difference. Gets a little dangerous,nearly took out my eye

The rear is a fair bit harder to fit.
I found fitting the rear tube into a 606 tyre it was far to big. Had to cut a 70mm section out to make it fit.
Once I did that I had it all installed with minimum of fuss.

1500kms of ADV riding including a couple of hundred road kms and they are good as new still.

Relubed at 1250kms. The front still had heaps of grease. The rear looked not dry but ready for some more grease.
peteandheidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Tubes

Michelin mousse tubes can be hard to come by at times.... an alternative would be the Linswood tubes supplied by Ballards (http://www.ballards.cc/tyres-tubes-mousse/) Ballards also have all of the tools to change the bloody things. =$$$ for them, but I've had a good run out of their gear.

BUT: You live at Safari central. If you get onto the 2014 Safari thread, you might be lucky enough to find a local competitor or crew (past or present) that would be prepared to fit the tube for you.... then you only have to sort the issue of re-lubing through the event.

Either way, carry a spare standard tube & tools. Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to change a tube?

Any idea of what tyres you are going to run?

Final drive gearing on the bike?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Chaddy08 OP
Adventurer

I went and spoke to the guys down at tyres for bikes, and they were really helpful. The guy said i would want to run the m16 which is the rally version for the michelin mousse. between me and my brother we would get three, and use one as a spare, and run the 4mm ultra heavy duty tubes in the back. He just put in an order for mousses, so ill be back down there soon with a list of mousses tubes and tyres and just put in a big order, and look for a good discount, and put a sticker on the bikes.

at home with all the tools and lubes ready a front takes me around 10 minutes. the rear takes a bit longer maybe 20 minutes. it used to take me for ever until i watched a few videos on the dunlop method for changing them, i find it works really well, and i use castrol rubber grease not baby powder.

For tyres, at this stage im looking at the pirelli scorpion rally up front and the dunlop 952 enduro rear (but possibly the 606 rear). Right now i have a michilen desert on the front and 606 on the rear. im not a huge fan of the mich desert fronts, and the 606 lacks in traction, but will last for ever especially on the drz.

As for gearing, I'm thinking 15 47. I find it working a bit hard when you get up around 110. when running the 44 rear i dont find i lose any noticable low end, but it doesnt scream when you get up to 110-120. It the last press release, they said it would be longer and faster this year, so i might run the 44 rear.

What did you run for tyres and gearing gadget?

Im heading up to Exmouth late june after exams to get some long days sand riding in and will be using my dads drz so as not to put kms on mine.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
peteandheidi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
The michelin mousses are available pretty cheap through RMATV. Its where I got mine.
peteandheidi is online now   Reply With Quote