Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #301
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,576

Hi 27rich & others

Welcome to SA Adv riding.

The adventure can be as close as your driveway or even just getting out the door with the balancing act required at times (yes dear!...no dear! ...just going to the shops dear... )

Always well worth taking the camera ...you will never know when a shot comes up.

ie went for a short cool-air sunrise ride this morning before the 39C kicks in.

Well!.... just cruising down the freeway about to turn off at Callington for a bit of dirt when... in I went.............."thick pea soup fog" misting visor... icy damp air felt like below 10C at times.

Could you believe it.............. high 30C's all week then this:

Still fun though, but I was glad to be off the freeway on a bike in that stuff.

One hour later I was riding down an English Cornwall Lane ................................all in 2 hours.

That's what I think the adventure riding pleasure is all about

I'm putting together a ride for January & will post details up soon. Hope to meet you then.

Cheers

TDMKym

masterbrewer screwed with this post 12-31-2007 at 05:28 PM
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #302
Aussie Jase
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK
Gday guys is a XR400 too small to join in Adventure rides ?
Got one myself, fuel management requires pre planning; one of my mates (a WR450 owner) we ride with uses a new age fuel cell, holds 2 litres per cell and stows multiples in a back pack nicely. very cheap and comes with 2Lts of complimentary Coke at your local store .

Storing gear; you can fabricate a light rack to sit over your rear gaurd and use it for a sleeping bag, small tent and a few items and a bum bag is a must even on short rides for tools, first aid gear, mobile phone, spare ear plugs, goggles cleaner wipes, wallet and sunnies.

As far as cruising speed goes, I think mine has a standard sprocket set up? I sat on between (Mr plod don't read) 120 to 140 most the day doing the Oodnadatta track, it gets a top of 150 on 98 ultimate. Yes it will sound like its reving, but it's a bike not a car When you hit realy sandy trails you can scream its head off in second and they are a delight to throw through tight corners.

Happy riding, if you guys are ever heading far north (Roxby downs) let me know I'll take you on some good local tracks.

Jase
Aussie Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #303
aussieotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Got myself a new GS

Guys,
Add me to the list, I have a nice shinny GS all ready to go.

thanks

Peter
aussieotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #304
charliew
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Congratulation on the new bike Peter. Just in time too, there is a ride on Sunday.

Link is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298060

Charlie.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #305
aussieotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
WisH I could make it

I am about to leave on two weeks holidays so will have to skip this time.

Thanks for invite

Next time for sure

Aussieotto
aussieotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #306
BushMatt
Training Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Talking New to Adv Rider!

Hi Guys,

I am new to the ADV Rider site and stumbled accross all you SA members!

Having just upgraded to a 1994 NX650 Dominator and preparing to to a trip up the Birdsville track later this year with a mate we are busy getting some miles under our belts to build up the old bike skills and confidence a bit!!

Once were a bit more sorted on the new bikes (new to us anyway) it would be great if anyone had room on their next ride for a couple of relative novices...

Cheers

Matt
Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #307
HumanOne
shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer: 1,255
Welcome Matt!

Sorry about the pun ... but 'Welcome Matt'

Keep your eyes on this thread (perhaps subscribe to it) for the next ride or beers at the Avoca Hotel session.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 PM   #308
charliew
Gnarly Adventurer

Welcome aboard Matt,

Be nice to have another Dominator on a ride.

Charlie.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #309
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Maybee a welcome to Adelaide ride can be organised for Mascha and her Dommie, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302690 , she will be in Adelaide around the 3 - 4 Feb, and I'm sure she would love to see the sights. I will be at Heathcote (VIC) drag racing my bike on this weekend, so I won't be able to organise something, but I'm sure someone can.
Regards Bob
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #310
HumanOne
shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer: 1,255
The Off Centre Rally 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMatt

Having just upgraded to a 1994 NX650 Dominator and preparing to to a trip up the Birdsville track later this year with a mate we are busy getting some miles under our belts to build up the old bike skills and confidence a bit!!

Once were a bit more sorted on the new bikes (new to us anyway) it would be great if anyone had room on their next ride for a couple of relative novices...

Cheers

Matt
Matt,

If you're at Birdsville then you're part way to Borroloola for this year's Off Centre Rally:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=2008

Pull your maps out and have a look. Possible route for myself something like Cradock, Parachilna ('cause I like them ) then Marree, Birdsville, Bedourie, Boulia, Mt. Isa (or Cloncurry? ) then Burketown and on to Borroloola.

This will fill in some more nice blue lines on my big map of OZ of places ridden so far. It will eat off a bit more of the Eastern side of my map which has been sort of neglected to now

The OCR is a hoot. It is just a Saturday night on the turps with dudes from all over OZ, but the beauty of it is getting there. You meet a bunch of people along the way all converging on the same destination and friendships are forged riding day in and day out with a bunch of like-minded blokes.

Last time all our crew disappeared on the Sunday morning with sore heads, but the idea is (I found out later ) to hang around for the Sunday night too, then Sunday is just a lazy day recovering, walking around meeting all the riders and gawking at their machines That's what I'll be doing this year anyway.

Then I'm thinking from Borroloola through Roper Bar to Katherine then Darwin, where I'll get my knobs exchanged for another new set of Scorpions then maybe a quick look around Kakadu and Litchfield before coming straight back down the Stuart Highway (maybe ) because I still haven't been from Katherine to Alice Springs. Even though that stretch is all bitumen I could be tempted to do the Oodnadatta Track from Marla to Maree on the way back ('cause I like that too! )

Have a look on my thread from about here onwards for my OCR experience back in 2006:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...116544&page=13

HumanOne screwed with this post 01-24-2008 at 05:17 PM
HumanOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #311
BushMatt
Training Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thumb

Thanks for your welcomes guys! Looking forward to a ride with you one day soon!!... By the way Charlie, my mate has a 1995 Dominator so we may actually triple the attendance of the fine machine!

The annual Off Centre Rally sounds great (might be pushing our time limits though). Limited by the 2 BIG W's - Work and Wives!!

Once we work out a few more of the details of our trip such as exactly when and where we will let you all know in case there are some takers for parts of the trip via the rally!

Cheers
Matt
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #312
charliew
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFTYBOB
Maybee a welcome to Adelaide ride can be organised for Mascha and her Dommie, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302690 , she will be in Adelaide around the 3 - 4 Feb, and I'm sure she would love to see the sights.
We have Dominators coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.

My wife is just back from overseas then Bob, so I might have trouble getting that weekend off. What sort of ride did you have in mind, rough dirt roads in the bush or a touristy type one with maybe some wineries thrown in?

Charlie.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 AM   #313
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
I think you had better rename this thread Adelaide Adv Riders.
I am in South Australia ( just), Mount Gambier.
2001 F650GS.
It would be nice to get up for some of these rides, but work, and family get in the way.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #314
LOFTYBOB
Burning up 98 Octane

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliew
We have Dominators coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden.

My wife is just back from overseas then Bob, so I might have trouble getting that weekend off. What sort of ride did you have in mind, rough dirt roads in the bush or a touristy type one with maybe some wineries thrown in?

Charlie.
If she gets here on the weekend, that would leave me out as I wont get back from the drags untill Sunday night. I believe she is in Adelaide for 4 days from that weekend, so I guess she wouldn't mind seeing the sights down south and the wineries.
Regards Bob
Old 02-04-2008, 06:15 AM   #315
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 362
Hello all.

Well a quick ride report, for those of you that remember my first ride aboard the KTM 620 ended quite abruptly thanks to a kangaroo (and yes bought along my camera this time). Well went out last Friday, left Adelaide for Mt Pleasant along the tar, found a few dirt roads north the proceeded on to Tungkillo. From there continued south towards Rockleigh (of which I never actually found). Go lost down there some where, anyway found Steep Hill rd (actually not very steep), from there got on to Military Rd, found some nice rocky trails (but to short) then into Brukunga. From there it was onto Woodside, Lobethal, some dirt roads around Mt Crawford Forest into Cudlee Creek and then home. Overall a fantastic day that has left me looking for more, all ready looking to plan the next adventure.

I ran into a guy the other day that told me about the Karoonda to Morgan railway line service track. However the only railway from Karoonda that I can see is the one to Loxton. Has anyone done this ride, and what is it like? Any other suggestion appreciated.

Thanks Rich.

Pics of the ride

Attached Images

27rich is offline   Reply With Quote