Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #346
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
If any of you blokes are interested, Tony Kirby and I are leaving on our round S.A. ride to raise money for the Childhood Cancer Association, on May 17 from Whistler Wines in the Barossa. Will be a big day with lots of wineries in attendance, plenty of food and fun things for the kids to do before we set off. Or even plan to catch up with us if we go through your town.
Details will be at Elliot's Big Ride at www.childhoodcancer.asn.au very soon, but basically we're following the coast and borders as well as detouring inland to visit Coober Pedy and Roxby Downs.
After nearly 8000kms, we'll finish back at Whistlers on June 8.
TK has already started the series of articles in Two Wheels magazine as well.
Come up and say g'day.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:15 AM   #347
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,517

Hi 27rich & TerryK

Will be good to catch up on a ride soon.

This ride I have planned has the best, most spectacular Fleurieu views, roads & scenery I could find & all on 95% dirt, so I hope you guys can make it.

But there is only one ride day this time (rest assured, we'll do it again if you can't make it ) & unfortunately that date is dependent on total number of preferences received & who's was first. (shit I hope I haven't created a monster in trying to make everyone happy )

Will confirm ride date on 20th.

There's always drinks at the Avoca Hotel next Thursday 21st (see H1's post above)

Might see you there Willis!

Cheers
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 AM   #348
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

Hi 27rich & TerryK

This ride I have planned has the best, most spectacular Fleurieu views, roads & scenery I could find & all on 95% dirt, so I hope you guys can make it.

But there is only one ride day this time (rest assured, we'll do it again if you can't make it ) & unfortunately that date is dependent on total number of preferences received & who's was first. (shit I hope I haven't created a monster in trying to make everyone happy )

There's always drinks at the Avoca Hotel next Thursday 21st (see H1's post above)

Cheers
Might be able to make it but subject to that's on, got the 500 21st thurs to Sun & several shows at the fringe over the next 3 weeks as well.
Also got to pick up my wife's bike somewhere during the next two weeks as well.
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #349
masterbrewer
TDMster

Hi TerryK

My kids are involved in this

http://circuitree.org/node/8

maybe worth a look.

Cheers

Kym
Old 02-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #350
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 358
trip advice required

Hello again,

I am planning my first overnight trip and after some advice? looking for rough terrain? hoping to cover around 500 kms per day however this will depend upon terrain, "don’t need to” end up in a town as will be camping, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to ride alongside (the repair track if there) the railway lines from :-

Virginia – two wells – Mallala – long plains – bowmans – snowtown – redhill – port pirie – and finish in prot augusta.

Or

Gawler – Roseworthy – hamley bridge – balaklava –

Or

From Adelaide to murry bridge (via dirt roads) then to Wynarka by road then follow the railway line to Karoonda – sandalwood – Alawoona – loxton?

From loxton is it possible to ride across to the boarder and then down?

Depending upon advice I could end up going anywhere (adventure), return trip to be planned upon deciding on the outward trip.

Will be leaving next weekend Sat 23rd Feb, short notice but anyone welcome.

Rich
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #351
masterbrewer
TDMster

Hi 27rich

Have you kept the "dbw Flinders Classic? Trip in mind?

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39202

We'll be riding as much dirt up to Blinman as possible on Friday, which will basically cover most of your first two options. CharlieW will be riding back on Monday.

A couple of the guys on the thread have indicated that they want to camp in the gorges rather than the pub.

masterbrewer screwed with this post 02-17-2008 at 01:03 AM
Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #352
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27rich
Hello again,

I am planning my first overnight trip and after some advice? looking for rough terrain? hoping to cover around 500 kms per day however this will depend upon terrain, "don’t need to” end up in a town as will be camping, Can anyone tell me if it is possible to ride alongside (the repair track if there) the railway lines from :-

Gawler – Roseworthy – hamley bridge – balaklava –

Rich
Hi Rich,

We do the Willaston to Wasleys leg, via Roseworthy, often, as part of a loop around Gawler. It's a bit tricky getting off and back on in some spots but nothing too hard. There's a dead end at Wasleys but Google Maps suggests that you could get back on at the other side of the town. I'm not too sure about any of the rest of the track to Balaklava but would imagine you could get on and off as you please.

This is definitely NOT rough terrain, in fact, it's pretty easy so I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Can't help you with the other tracks you ask about.

Good luck,
Trev

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #353
HumanOne
shows Nomadic tendencies

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T
If any of you blokes are interested, Tony Kirby and I are leaving on our round S.A. ride to raise money for the Childhood Cancer Association, on May 17 from Whistler Wines in the Barossa. Will be a big day with lots of wineries in attendance, plenty of food and fun things for the kids to do before we set off. Or even plan to catch up with us if we go through your town.
Details will be at Elliot's Big Ride at www.childhoodcancer.asn.au very soon, but basically we're following the coast and borders as well as detouring inland to visit Coober Pedy and Roxby Downs.
After nearly 8000kms, we'll finish back at Whistlers on June 8.
TK has already started the series of articles in Two Wheels magazine as well.
Come up and say g'day.
Sounds like a worthy cause! Hope we catch you in your travels somewhere. Will you be posting any details as to your whereabouts and ETAs on this site anywhere?

Ride Safe.

Pete
Old 02-18-2008, 12:28 AM   #354
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Bluhduh

If you plan on following the rail lines through isolated country practice minding your own business - there are some funny looking plants growing in isolated soaks just out of sight of the railway, and you wouldnt want to upset anyone by accidentially stumbling onto them.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #355
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 358
Hello,

Thanks Masterbrewer, unfortunately due to commitments there is no way I will be able to leave on Friday, so a sat/sun ride will be all I can manage. So enjoy all, for those that make the trip for the annual Flinders Classic, it sounds like a great weekend of riding. May be next year.

Thanks for your info DRTrev, am still undecided upon direction of trip. I like to leave shit till the last minute.

Thanks for brining this to peoples attention Beermerboff, you may well have single-handedly increased the chances of people crashing as without this thought adventure riders would be concentrating on the track ahead instead of the fauna around them. Lucky for me though, I have no desire for either interrupting any ones fauna or crashing.

Rich
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #356
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanOne
Sounds like a worthy cause! Hope we catch you in your travels somewhere. Will you be posting any details as to your whereabouts and ETAs on this site anywhere?

Ride Safe.

Pete
Thanks Pete.
This ride will have it's own webspace off the Childhood Cancer site, but there is a thread somewhere here, so I'll update that rather than hijack this one any more. I'll include our itinerary there as well.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #357
OzAdvRider
EZrider

Oddometer: 117
Avoca

Hi Kym,

Hope to see you there too and catch up with the rest of the guys.

Cheers,

Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer

Hi 27rich & TerryK

Cheers
OzAdvRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #358
notsoblas'e
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27rich
Hello again,

I am planning my first overnight trip and after some advice? looking for rough terrain?
From Adelaide to murry bridge (via dirt roads) then to Wynarka by road then follow the railway line to Karoonda – sandalwood – Alawoona – loxton?

From loxton is it possible to ride across to the boarder and then down?

Depending upon advice I could end up going anywhere (adventure), return trip to be planned upon deciding on the outward trip.

Rich
There is the Border track (on Vic side) that runs all the way from the Sturt H/way down to Pinaroo (and further)

Starts off very easy up at Yamba/loxton end and gets progressively sandier the further south you go.

Definetly what I would put in an "Adventure" category.
notsoblas'e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #359
OzAdvRider
EZrider

Oddometer: 117
ride 2

Hi Kym,

I should be good on 9th

March. What time is the meeting at AVOCA?

Cheers,

Willis

G]http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/images/smilies/grinning-smiley-003.gif[/IMG]

In preparation for Trev's Flinders Classic I'm planning a practice/hone my skills ride on the Fleurieu in preparation for that type of terrain ie

"negotiating winding, steep descents/ascents over a variety of surfaces while rubber necking the most awesome, spectacular views".

I have plotted an aprrox 300km route (95% dirt) with 120km fuel stops if needed which will leave you eager for Flinders to come around sooner.

Setting the scene:

After departing "Windy Point Lookout" (Belair Rd southern continuation of Unley Rd) @ 7.45am you will descend into steep hairpin bends & into ever winding lush valley roads before attacking the first "summer track only" road.

Then onto a fast freshly spread 1" thick narrow, winding, undulating gravel road before the first splash & dash at Meadows.

From there, climbing up through dense scrub tracks out onto one of the most spectacular views which will test your senses as you are drawn down a steep somewhat rocky, rutted track before climbing up onto the ridges again.

Down a narrow winding gorge track & over to the next ridge with more spectacular views as another steep descent over loose ground. (easily negotiated on the TDM mind you, just sounds good to embellish the moment)

Onto Compass for another splash & dash then up to Spring Mount Conservation Park & down the "Strangways Fire Track": Mount Robertson; Mount Scrub & into Yank for another splash of fuel.

Out of Yank to Myponga Beach & up the very steep, winding, rough Sampson Road to Mount Terrible lookout overlooking Aldinga Bay via Pages Flat, then onto Badgers Rd, Toop Hill & Razor Back Rd to finish at Mylor.

The Day in question?

I'm easy & everyone is welcome at their own risk & responsibility, even if you are not going to Flinders & bring your cameras.

Date Options are:

A. Sunday Feb 24th

B. Sunday March 2nd

C. Sunday March 9th

Let me know if any day is OK and/or your preferences if I have sparked your interest.

I'll tally up majority number preferences & who's was first on 20th Feb from here & also dbw site http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41152.

Cheers

TDMKym
[/QUOTE]
OzAdvRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #360
masterbrewer
TDMster

Here you go Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanOne
It's time!
Avoca Hotel on South Road

Thursday night 21st February 7pm

I always eat there too, but please yourselves!

See you there!

Pete