Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #5176
rabrd001
Solo Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter View Post
I wouldnt go in the water this year I have a friend who flys choppers and he says he sees sharks off the coast every day. Big ones too

OH SHIT really.... im a keen as Kite Surfer head out all the time thanks for the heads up...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #5177
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
It's been a few good days for me.

On Sunday I got on the Tenere, and followed Doc's instructions for a ride from Kapunda to Burra. The Riverton to Tarlee road was a good warm up, and then onto Taylors Run road. Nice road. Out from Marrabel the roads were just as good. A quick stop at the Julia Creek monument, then off again. I got a bit caught up on the beautiful roads, and ended up on a bluff overlooking Robertstown, down the little track to the flats I hooked up with the Burra road again. This was nice and open and a little challenging due to the big Northerly blowing in. Got to Burra, had an iced coffee looking over the mine, then back on the road.
Back down the Adelaide road, I turned off to Black Springs. Following my nose I ended up at the wind farm, with an open gate. Man those things are big! There appears to be lots of gap roads to explore, but alot look like unused dead ends, so I kept powering on through Tothill and back towards Julia Creek. Spent a little time checking out the tracks, and joining them in my head, and then headed home. Good day out on the tracks. Gonna head back out there soon.

Monday I headed off on a bitumen adventure. First through Marrabel to Eudunda, then down to Kapunda and Greenock and through to Bethany to catch up with the folks. From there I headed up over Menglers Hill to Eden Valley and Springton, then across to Williamstown. On to Kersbrook then across the mad mile to Gorge road, up the corkscrew, across Montegue, over to Greenhill then down to the city. This bike is a great bike for these roads. It is good to corner, but never really wants to get over 80 km, meaning the police aren't a worry. I loved riding the hills so much that I went back up there again today, and headed out to Lobethal too. Might even go again tomorrow.

All up 600 km on the new Ten in 3 days. Getting to love the bike more and more every ride. Looking forward to fitting some knobbies and getting stuck into the dirt a bit more, but am really enjoying black top riding as I have never done it before.

So many decisions to make....
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #5178
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,746
Quote:
I wouldnt go in the water this year I have a friend who flys choppers and he says he sees sharks off the coast every day. Big ones too
They are there most of the time but more in summer. No different to any other year.

Nothing to worry about.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #5179
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers View Post
They are there most of the time but more in summer. No different to any other year.

Nothing to worry about.
Im no marine biologist but there is actually more since the greenys wanted to protect them they have grown in numbers.. and like any other animal sometimes a cull is needed to reduce the numbers ..
Old 11-15-2011, 05:05 AM   #5180
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Im no marine biologist but there is actually more since the greenys wanted to protect them they have grown in numbers.. and like any other animal sometimes a cull is needed to reduce the numbers ..
Not so. There are probably far less than there ever were. As a result of increased surveillance and more people out on the water they are seen more. I've been diving and fishing (recreationally and commerially) in SA waters for 25+ years. There are less, not more. But every season is different as the sharks follow the fish. As we are in Snapper spawning season (closed season for November) the sharks will be following the snapper schools. There are plenty of snapper increasing every season and they surprisingly close into shore. What sharks there are follow these schools.

But I do agree they are making a comeback but this is good. I'm talking about whalers which are not much of an issue for swimmers in clear water close to shore. I certainly would not stop diving, swimming, surfing etc because of one off sightings, especially whalers. If it was a white hanging around then different story altogether.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #5181
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
There. We're 2 big ones just off henely beach 2 days ago, yesterday there was one right underneath the henely beach jetty and when we were jetty diving today out there not too long after we finished we could see some shapes swimming around again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #5182
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfear View Post
There. We're 2 big ones just off henely beach 2 days ago, yesterday there was one right underneath the henely beach jetty and when we were jetty diving today out there not too long after we finished we could see some shapes swimming around again
Run for the hills!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #5183
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,730
Glenelg or west beach this summer ?? its only a matter of time

Old 11-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #5184
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Caught this 7 + foot bronzie on Friday out of Pt Julia. Interesting catch as the gaff was missing and had no donga. Not much fun trying to dispatch it on the floor of the boat whilst it is trying to get away and bite you. Anyway, I kill them immediatley if I'm going to eat them and gut and remove the fins then either soak in a salt water/ice slurry or just over the side of the boat. But never try to hurt them deliberately or ever waste them if I decide to eat them.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #5185
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
We've seen your talents from the culinary perspective; regarding all things BBQ on here before Knackers... any recipe tips.

Actually the last (seafood) barbecue I attended back in Oz 2007 (at the Robo's place down by the beach in Perth) we were served char grilled shark steaks, (or were they swordfish maybe?) that had been marinated in some sort of hibachi sauce... can't remember now exactly which it was, but I do remember it was damned good and washed down with some cold gold it was not too painful at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #5186
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Caught this 7 + foot bronzie on Friday out of Pt Julia. Interesting catch as the gaff was missing and had no donga. Not much fun trying to dispatch it on the floor of the boat whilst it is trying to get away and bite you. Anyway, I kill them immediatley if I'm going to eat them and gut and remove the fins then either soak in a salt water/ice slurry or just over the side of the boat. But never try to hurt them deliberately or ever waste them if I decide to eat them.
Nice fish Knackers..........how big do you cut the chips?

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #5187
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post

On Sunday I got on the Tenere, and followed Doc's instructions for a ride from Kapunda to Burra. The Riverton to Tarlee road was a good warm up, and then onto Taylors Run road. Nice road. Out from Marrabel the roads were just as good. A quick stop at the Julia Creek monument, then off again. I got a bit caught up on the beautiful roads, and ended up on a bluff overlooking Robertstown, down the little track to the flats I hooked up with the Burra road again. This was nice and open and a little challenging due to the big Northerly blowing in. Got to Burra, had an iced coffee looking over the mine, then back on the road.
Back down the Adelaide road, I turned off to Black Springs. Following my nose I ended up at the wind farm, with an open gate. Man those things are big! There appears to be lots of gap roads to explore, but alot look like unused dead ends, so I kept powering on through Tothill and back towards Julia Creek. Spent a little time checking out the tracks, and joining them in my head, and then headed home. Good day out on the tracks. Gonna head back out there soon.

Monday I headed off on a bitumen adventure. First through Marrabel to Eudunda, then down to Kapunda and Greenock and through to Bethany to catch up with the folks. From there I headed up over Menglers Hill to Eden Valley and Springton, then across to Williamstown. On to Kersbrook then across the mad mile to Gorge road, up the corkscrew, across Montegue, over to Greenhill then down to the city. This bike is a great bike for these roads. It is good to corner, but never really wants to get over 80 km, meaning the police aren't a worry. I loved riding the hills so much that I went back up there again today, and headed out to Lobethal too. Might even go again tomorrow.

All up 600 km on the new Ten in 3 days. Getting to love the bike more and more every ride. Looking forward to fitting some knobbies and getting stuck into the dirt a bit more, but am really enjoying black top riding as I have never done it before.

So many decisions to make....
Another happy Tenere owner!!

Matt, have a look at coming to the Flinders Ranges Classic in April. Not only are there good semi-technical rides but the adventure bikes will soak up day runs to the likes of Arkaroola (160 kms each way) and a ride through the gorges to Wilpena.....very nice Tenere country.

There's going to be an assortment of SA and interstate riders attending so you could widen your contacts for future rides etc.

Next time you're up around Williamstown/Lyndoch, try finding Trial Hill and then Corryton Park Rd....take that and head north....it links up with tracks all over the place and with a decent GPS you can find your way to major towns if necessary. We have some great days out there, and if Sol advertises a day run to Swan Reach, it usually takes those roads - one not to miss.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #5188
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Matt View Post

photos or it didnt happen

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #5189
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
When are you going out again mate? Would be awesome to go out fishing again, had to leave all my gear at home but will be getting it brought down sometime soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #5190
Russ

Oddometer: 15,322
I have to agree with Knackers any increase in numbers is a good thing.
There are more sighting because of access, more boats, planes, divers etc.

I love diving with sharks there are only two species that make me wary Tigers and White pointers, you can consider yourself very lucky to see one on a dive as they are rare except in a few places where they are known to congregate.

I think I have only see 1 white whilst diving and to this day I'm not 100% sure that It was a white, others on the dive were closer and swear blind it was.
Tigers can show some interest but usually they will just swim by, it does focus your attention when you see one though.

The most beautiful shark I've seen was a Thrasher truly beautiful and the swimming action appeared effortless..
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote