Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #6646
Gateshutter
Exiled

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers View Post
Yes it is common sense if it is wide enough, but the stuff about the lane markers and left and right mumbo jumbo smells like crap. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw the regs. If it is wide enough, its wide enough regardless. There is a difference between splitting and filtering of course but the only thing I can think about filtering being against the law is "passing on the left" (and of course dangerous driving).

http://bikeraware.com/rr_lane_splitting.htm
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #6647
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshutter View Post
Where is the bit about being left of the lane markers and right of the cars? I know what you are getting at but I think that this is an interpretation of the regs that relate to passing stationary cars (like parked ones) and not specifically to filtering and also to remaing wholly within one lane. I cannot see that filtering is practical if you have to rely on this interpretation. The lanes are not that wide nor cars that skinny.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #6648
Gateshutter
Exiled

Quote:
Where is the bit about being left of the lane markers and right of the cars? I know what you are getting at but I think that this is an interpretation of the regs that relate to passing stationary cars (like parked ones) and not specifically to filtering and also to remaing wholly within one lane. I cannot see that filtering is practical if you have to rely on this interpretation. The lanes are not that wide nor cars that skinny.
that bit is not in there its only a guide, Im talking from personal experience a motorbike cop was admiring my bike, so I asked him whats the rules on riding up to the front of the lights while cars are stopped, he said it was legal as long as I passed on the right of the cars and stayed within the white lines (ie stay in the same lane), the law has nothing to do with whether the cars are small or lanes are skinny, the law just states that you can get to the front of the traffic in the way the cop told me I could, if in doubt go ask a traffic cop. Ive done it plenty of times even when the cops have watched me do it... and if they are not watching there always the footpath
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #6649
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
the law
I just read the legislation. The "law" states that on divided roads with more than one lane you can only pass another vehicle from the other lane.

141—No overtaking etc to the left of a vehicle
(1) A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not overtake a vehicle to the left of the
vehicle unless:
(a) the driver is driving on a multi-lane road and the vehicle can be safely
overtaken in a marked lane to the left of the vehicle

So seeing as you are trying to overtake two vehicles, one to the left and right, you're screwed. Once you move into left lane to overtake the one on the right you now need to move further left to overtake the car whose lane you are now in ad infinitum. You can overtake to the right in the incoming lane as long as no unbroken line etc etc.

So what the cop told you was his "take" on filtering. I stand by my assertion that his advice is not practical. Having lived in Melb for seven years you live by filtering. Never had an issue but what he told you is crap. He can tell you that you must wear a pink tu-tu when filtering but it doesn't make it legal.

But this argument can go on and on. These are the Oz Road rules adopted by SA in the traffic regs. Riders are getting done for filtering all the time and going to court and losing if all the reports on the web are correct. Still up to the cops to dish out a fine and the magistrate to decide. The regs for overtaking are not specific enough to make it clear cut for bikes - there is no filtering reg.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #6650
Gateshutter
Exiled

Im not trying to overtake any moving cars, Im just moving to front of stationary traffic at the trasffic lights, I come up behind a row of stopped cars and if there is room, I will stay in the same lane and pass the stopped cars which are on my left in the same lane, (this is a perfectly legal action) the cars on my right are in another lane, Im not going into the other lane.

"The "law" states that on divided roads with more than one lane you can only pass another vehicle from the other lane." .. this correct for when overtaking moving vehicles ,, why would anyone ride or drive between to moving cars on the left and right to overtake ? the cops would throw the book at you,

and what the cop told me was what I asked him about moving the to FRONT OF TRAFFIC AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS WHILE CARS ARE STATIONARY, and from memory now, he then went onto say I CAN NOT do it if the cars are moving .

Im not talking about overtaking moving vehicles Im talking about passing stationary vehicles at the lights, two completely different issues . he didnt tell me to wear a pink tutu, he told me the law as it stands for the passing of stationary cars at traffic lights. like I said before I do it all the time when I can. and no cop has ever stopped me when they see me do it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #6651
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,527
i neeed a beer

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #6652
chewy52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Bike Lanes

I to need a beer or 2 too.But first,my 2cents. I will always use the bike lane to get clear of the cars if its there to use. My taxes paid for them, i'm on a bike, i'm gunna use it and have been doing it for years. I have gone past cops while doing so on many occasions and never been stopped or harassed by the plod. Pushbikes are always in the "traffic" Lane, and half the pushies have got motors bolted onto them anyway. On a brighter note, I'm throwin a leg ova the Tenere tomorrow arvo for the first time since the Tothill sequel's sequel. The sad part is I've got a list of part #'s for MaryLou to quote on repairing the DD12 after my off.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #6653
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Im not trying to overtake any moving cars, Im just moving to front of stationary traffic at the trasffic lights, I come up behind a row of stopped cars and if there is room, I will stay in the same lane and pass the stopped cars which are on my left in the same lane, (this is a perfectly legal action) the cars on my right are in another lane, Im not going into the other lane.

"The "law" states that on divided roads with more than one lane you can only pass another vehicle from the other lane." .. this correct for when overtaking moving vehicles ,, why would anyone ride or drive between to moving cars on the left and right to overtake ? the cops would throw the book at you,

and what the cop told me was what I asked him about moving the to FRONT OF TRAFFIC AT TRAFFIC LIGHTS WHILE CARS ARE STATIONARY, and from memory now, he then went onto say I CAN NOT do it if the cars are moving .

Im not talking about overtaking moving vehicles Im talking about passing stationary vehicles at the lights, two completely different issues . he didnt tell me to wear a pink tutu, he told me the law as it stands for the passing of stationary cars at traffic lights. like I said before I do it all the time when I can. and no cop has ever stopped me when they see me do it.
Thats all cool. But there are no laws about filtering. All the cats that get caught when the copper is having a bad day apply the overtaking rule because that is what you are doing, whether the cars are stationary or not. There is no splitting law either, the overtaking law is applied. Filtering is tolerated because it makes sense and is low risk. The cop did not tell you the law as it stands, he told you his interpretation of it and what his particular supervisor has told them to do. All the fuss about filtering comes about because there is no exception to the overtaking laws for motorcycles moving through traffic. In most states it is generally tolerated, but in each state there will be individuals that get stung, fact. Even though they challenge it in court they lose, fact.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #6654
Knackers
Polishing Turds

And not that I really care anyway as I have been known to split at up to xxx km/hr, but only when safe to do so and/or I'm in a hurry.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #6655
Gateshutter
Exiled

Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #6656
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Last word

Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #6657
Gateshutter
Exiled

Quote:
Last word
No , you can have the last word ..
Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 AM   #6658
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Quote:
No , you can have the last word ..
Shit, foiled again!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #6659
twisted 1
ULYSSES

Oddometer: 65
Lane Splitting

Mr Plod says " Don't do as I do, Do as I say" and what I say will change daily depending on what sort of mood I am in, and most importantly how I'm going with my daily quota. OOps hang on, thats right we are not supposed to say we have a quota, we are just booking folk for trivial matters for their own safety.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #6660
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,527
i said... i need beer!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote