Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #676
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
I'll probably get arrested for saying this, but could someone please blow up the balfours factory? Their excuses for pies and pasties is a permanent and wretched stain on the otherwise excellent reputation of croweater bakeries.

Bloody Territorians - ex-pat Croweaters! Almost like reformed-smokers. Yes, you might just get arrested.........

Call in once in a blue moon and then have the audacity and feel the need to take pot shots at an SA icon. The most popular meat pie in SA, the original Balfours square pie, and you feel you can just take aim and pull the trigger. Shame on you GS, shame on you - where did you teach your taste buds to enjoy such delicacies; Elizabeth!!

Oh, and I make a lot of money from Balfours....

PS. Have you tried Perrymans in North Adelaide? You'll never go back to Villies (sic).

And whatever you do, DO NOT START MASTERBREWER on a bakery thread - this could take forever.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #677
bwvtom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Wicked Back from NZ

Hi every one.

Had a great time in NZ,good to be back, the heat's a bit of a shock (even though it was quite warm over the ditch).

Looks Like I missed a good ride Master B, maybe next time, still waiting for the Tiger to arrive on the boat.

Cheers Bwvtom
bwvtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #678
Passion_Fingers
showers arnt for everyone

Oddometer: 113
gday fellow south aussies

Gday
Thought i had better speak up after lerking the the shadows for a while now!
I am reasonalby new to this whole bike caper but have fallen for it head over heals have a trip planned to the gawler rangers in the sorta near future and was wondering if any one has any hits tips on a good route with some fun on the way. Also any overnighters and good camp spots within a few hrs of adelaide would be appreciated aswell, altho im sure you dont wanna give away to many secrets

Have to hand it to master brewer i live near blackwood and have spent a fair bit of my late teens and the last year driving and riding round pointlesly and alot of the roads in the pics he travels on within a hour or so are all new to me. When i have enough skill not to spend half the time lying in the dirt next to the xt i would be honoured to join you in one of your rides!

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/Bignhairy/
Passion_Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 AM   #679
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,969
glendambo-iron knob over nighting a mt ive is a good one for starters.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #680
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion_Fingers
Gday
Thought i had better speak up after lerking the the shadows for a while now!
I am reasonalby new to this whole bike caper but have fallen for it head over heals have a trip planned to the gawler rangers in the sorta near future and was wondering if any one has any hits tips on a good route with some fun on the way. Also any overnighters and good camp spots within a few hrs of adelaide would be appreciated aswell, altho im sure you dont wanna give away to many secrets

Have to hand it to master brewer i live near blackwood and have spent a fair bit of my late teens and the last year driving and riding round pointlesly and alot of the roads in the pics he travels on within a hour or so are all new to me. When i have enough skill not to spend half the time lying in the dirt next to the xt i would be honoured to join you in one of your rides!
Ain't you in luck buddy! Gawler Ranges encompasses Lake Gairdener. So what? I hear you thinking (Yes, I am omnipitent. Check the name).
In the near future? How does March 9th - 13th sound.
Fun on the way? How does Land Speed Racing sound? 300mph plus.
Good routes? The ride in is good, the ride out can skirt the western side of the lake (see a good map) for added excitement.

Go here for info, check out some of the photos for a look at the most exotic hand-built machines in the southern hemisphere. I've never seen so many superchargers in one place - ever. Open exhausts, exotic fuels, no limits. I don't use this word lightly (unlike others) but it is truly awesome.

http://www.dlra.org.au/2009.htm

See ya there!
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #681
GodSilla
I did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev
Bloody Territorians - ex-pat Croweaters! Almost like reformed-smokers. Yes, you might just get arrested.........

Call in once in a blue moon and then have the audacity and feel the need to take pot shots at an SA icon. The most popular meat pie in SA, the original Balfours square pie, and you feel you can just take aim and pull the trigger. Shame on you GS, shame on you - where did you teach your taste buds to enjoy such delicacies; Elizabeth!!

Oh, and I make a lot of money from Balfours....

PS. Have you tried Perrymans in North Adelaide? You'll never go back to Villies (sic).

And whatever you do, DO NOT START MASTERBREWER on a bakery thread - this could take forever.
Icons? "most popular"? Can I have some of whatever you're on Trev?

The Big Brother tv show was most popular, doesn't make it any good though. The piping shrike on the SA coat of arms is iconic, but somehow I can't see how that would apply to a meat pie. Don't get me wrong here, the mass-market meat pies on the east coast are comparably fucking awful too. It's just that Balfours has raised (lowered?) the manufacture of appalling pies and truly shitful pasties to an artfrom.
True story: At Lake Gairdener in 2005 the caterers had balfours pies and pasties on day 1 (Monday). I bought one of each at different times, both hit the bin with one bite taken out of them. I spoke to the caterers and they said they flew the tucker in fresh every day from Pt Lincoln, so I told them what I thought of Balfours and praised the country bakeries we had been scoffing at, so next day they sourced them from a Pt Lincoln bakery. Sales of those items went up several fold - because they were edible.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:04 AM   #682
Passion_Fingers
showers arnt for everyone

Oddometer: 113
i forgot about the speed trials thats killa!
godsilla will you be riding? would be good to say gday. all i hope i get the xtz running soon so i can get it all sorted if not it the 1vj older than me but kicks like a bitch amazingly enough its a bitch to kick too i will probably be traveling with my crazy mate and his 76xt500 sidecar some of you may know it if youve had much to do with trials in sa its was owened by a fella called john that lives in eden vally he has had alot to do with trials for 20 years or so. thanks for the info on the trip!

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww349/Bignhairy/
Passion_Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 AM   #683
GodSilla
I did that.

We'll be there. If I have to crawl on my belly dragging my broken bike with my remaining tooth, we'll be there. A mate and I are setting off a week before and riding out through some remote country, and barring catastrophe we should make it with time to spare. Prolly stay at the racers camp, might camp at the lake if the conditions look like perfection any morning, as that's when the records usually get set (although John Lynch in his bellytanker did his record run in the afternoon.).
Read the site and remember to have long sleeves, hat etc as the glare from the salt will burn you from underneath. Sunscreen and lip balm too.
I can hardly wait actually.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #684
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
so next day they sourced them from a Pt Lincoln bakery. Sales of those items went up several fold - because they were edible.
Sh*t! another bakery expert! just what we need over here. If you get a chance to read Masterbewer's ride reports you'll see what I mean. Next time you're passing through Gawler, call into the old Gawler South Bakery and grab a pie from there - they recently won a best pie award from somewhere.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #685
GodSilla
I did that.

Don't they have a Price's up there as well? (I'm recalling the name from 3 yrs ago). I recall their tucker was OK.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #686
MikeF
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 353
MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #687
ozbikedude
so little time

Oddometer: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev
Sh*t! another bakery expert! just what we need over here. If you get a chance to read Masterbewer's ride reports you'll see what I mean. Next time you're passing through Gawler, call into the old Gawler South Bakery and grab a pie from there - they recently won a best pie award from somewhere.

cheers
stone hut bakery not to bad as well.
ozbikedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #688
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Quote:
Don't they have a Price's up there as well? (I'm recalling the name from 3 yrs ago). I recall their tucker was OK.
Please let's not start an SA country bakery thread!

A guy from the States was a competitor in the Adelaide World Police & Fire Games a couple of years ago and the glowing comments of his on American sites of pie warmers in country bakeries around SA drew more response than the riding and scenery......men and their stomachs!

Yes, there is a Prices in Murray St Gawler, run by a mate of mine who went to Finke with Stacky and I in 2001.

The best pasties in SA can be found at the Copley Bush Bakery near Leigh Creek. You should try it sometime.

"Just having a crack"
Old 01-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #689
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
XIE , I go for a gentle meander through the hills Sat & Sun almost every weekend.

I start around 9/9.30 from Stirling as I live there, and cover most tracks and trails between Cape Jarvis and Edunda.

I ride on 80/20 road tires , so I try and stay away from mud and sand, probably do 70/30 road /dirt .

I take it very easy on the loose stuff , as i cant pick the big pig up if I drop it. Havent had to yet, apart from in my own driveway!.

On the bitumen , well last weekend I ran down Jason from Road and track on his TRX and he was trying his hardest. His mate on the BMW F800S was dropped early.
I usually ride sensibly but just occasionally the red mist comes up----!

If you want to tag along for a week or two until you learn the roads PM me.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #690
XIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
That sounds awesome. Will have to do that!

Will hit you up when ready. By the way, what jackets and pants does everyone here use?
XIE is offline   Reply With Quote